1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Lawler spin against leg drag?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by JosephDredd, May 26, 2014.

1. Ice 9 Cobra Black Belt

I think he meant as Lawler faced him after standing he could arm drag

2. GordoBarraBJJ Titanium Belt

yeah - not that I could ever do anything like that.

3. JosephDredd Gold Belt

... I thought you were being facetious. At no point in the OP did I say that was a gif of a leg drag and I thought he was an idiot for vociferously telling me that was, indeed, not a leg drag.

4. JosephDredd Gold Belt

Are you Ostap from Open Mat BJJ? If so, it was practicing your anti knee-slice and leg-drag videos that have me experimenting this.

Okay, so here's what I've been working with. Let's say he's trying to drag my right leg. I've been managing to come up on my left shoulder and then onto my hands, butt in the air (vaguely similar to bottom position of a pike push-up) in order to bring my left leg underneath myself and between his legs, setting up a kneebar.

OR I roll over my left shoulder, onto my front, over my right shoulder and then onto my back. The idea is to reguard, but this usually winds up as a scramble.

At no point do I roll into a turtle position.

Sometimes these work for me sometimes they don't. From the sounds of it here this is a bad idea, which is what I wanted to know when I started this thread.

5. EndlessCritic Steel Belt

Watch more MMA. Robbie has a great guard. Watch his fight with rory as he beautifully negates him with butterfly guard.

6. BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

You can invert and regain guard before you are totally leg dragged, meaning if your opponent has your foot grabbed crossed but hasn't put his weight on you yet...