Lawler spin against leg drag?

I agree. Because if you're dealing with an actual leg drag, this technique doesn't make sense, because your foot is past his hip, so there's nothing to push off. Moreover, if the leg drag is done properly, his base leg is not between your leg, so there's no kneebar.

As far as using Lawler's technique to stand up from closed guard, I think it's a viable option.

... I thought you were being facetious. At no point in the OP did I say that was a gif of a leg drag and I thought he was an idiot for vociferously telling me that was, indeed, not a leg drag.

I think it's a really interesting idea. I'm gonna try it out. I think some of the posters need to recognize that OP isn't talking about a fully locked in leg drag position. Getting your foot on the hip for the kick away may be possible mid leg drag if your knee tuck pressure is strong.

Are you Ostap from Open Mat BJJ? If so, it was practicing your anti knee-slice and leg-drag videos that have me experimenting this.

Okay, so here's what I've been working with. Let's say he's trying to drag my right leg. I've been managing to come up on my left shoulder and then onto my hands, butt in the air (vaguely similar to bottom position of a pike push-up) in order to bring my left leg underneath myself and between his legs, setting up a kneebar.

OR I roll over my left shoulder, onto my front, over my right shoulder and then onto my back. The idea is to reguard, but this usually winds up as a scramble.

At no point do I roll into a turtle position.

Sometimes these work for me sometimes they don't. From the sounds of it here this is a bad idea, which is what I wanted to know when I started this thread.

it's an mma fight and a little different than trying it in a straight up bjj match- if i do recall jake had been scrambled (hurt) a few times by then.

thought it was pretty slick, for mma, since robbie is not really known as a ground guy.
Watch more MMA. Robbie has a great guard. Watch his fight with rory as he beautifully negates him with butterfly guard.

You can invert and regain guard before you are totally leg dragged, meaning if your opponent has your foot grabbed crossed but hasn't put his weight on you yet...

Back