Lawler looked better vs Hendricks than he did against Ellenberger

CELS

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I don't know why that's the case, but it's true. Lawler looked like a fuckin jedi when he fought Hendricks, like he saw everything coming a mile away. Only when his cardio faded, did he start to look vulnerable. He looked really relaxed, setting up his shots and mixing his attacks beautifully.

Against Ellenberger, Lawler looked good, but not as good. That was a huge surprise to me. You could say "Yeah, but Hendricks fought with a torn bicep", but in fact, Hendricks did a lot more than Ellenberger, so it's not like Ellenberger made Lawler look really bad - at least not more so than Hendricks.

Everyone has an off night, I guess. I don't think this was the best Lawler we've seen.

Am I wrong?

huh? lawler looked terrific vs. ellenberger, and i'm not sure why you made this thread. he took off the final round against hendricks if that helps you to understand things a bit.

nomoredrinking.jpg

Nah man, Lawler looked just great against Berger.

Berger was hesitant to stand and trade with Lawler and Hendricks wasn't. That's why it appeared that way.

Every fight is different...

hendricks is way better than ellenberger, so its not unreasonable to say what you say - but results are what people look at strongly so not sure if you'll get much support there hehe

Hendricks and lawler were having a boxing match. They were both in the pocket exhanging.

Burger was moving latteraly because he didnt wanna outright box with lawler.

Both very different.

Lawler looked great.

huh? lawler looked terrific vs. ellenberger, and i'm not sure why you made this thread. he took off the final round against hendricks if that helps you to understand things a bit.
You are Sherdog personified. But we can still be friends.

Every fight is different...
You should post this in every thread. With that ellipsis at the end.

Nah man, Lawler looked just great against Berger.
Berger was hesitant to stand and trade with Lawler and Hendricks wasn't. That's why it appeared that way.
I must respectfully disagree. I'm not talking about the number of strikes. Of course the number of strikes is lower against an opponent who is more passive. I'm talking about the way Lawler's offense looked, the way he dealt with incoming shots.

hendricks is way better than ellenberger, so its not unreasonable to say what you say - but results are what people look at strongly so not sure if you'll get much support there hehe
That's what I'm thinking too. "Lawler finished Ellenberger, did not finish Hendricks. There is nothing that can be said about any fight that isn't expressed by the scorecards."

But a bit of sympathy from a dude with Hume & Orwell quotes in his sig goes a long way.

Lawler looked way better against Burger and beat the shit out of him.

...and finished him

Dude totally broke one of the best fighters at 170.
What more do you want? Holy shit!

Well he wasnt really getting much back from ellenberger. So it looked like he was going easy.

If/when Lawler & Hendricks rematch, Hendricks is going to go to his wrestling roots, win a UD, and make everyone forget how good Lawler looked in their first fight.

I really shouldn't have to..but oh well, as long as there are dummies who cant understand the amount of variables involved in fighting, and why two fights are not the same then I might as well...

You are Sherdog personified. But we can still be friends.

I must respectfully disagree. I'm not talking about the number of strikes. Of course the number of strikes is lower against an opponent who is more passive. I'm talking about the way Lawler's offense looked, the way he dealt with incoming shots.

That's what I'm thinking too. "Lawler finished Ellenberger, did not finish Hendricks. There is nothing that can be said about any fight that isn't expressed by the scorecards."

But a bit of sympathy from a dude with Hume & Orwell quotes in his sig goes a long way.

If anything I'd say it was his defense that looked completely different.

Against Hendricks, Lawler's defence was impeccable and Hendricks barely hit him once all night. Almost every shot was deflected, rolled with, or straight up dodged. Against Ellenberger he got tagged the few times that Jake threw and got far more hurt than he did against Hendricks. His defence was still great, but it wasn't the Jedi defence we saw against Hendricks where everything looked like it was perfectly anticipated and effortlessly dealt with. Against Hendricks, shots never really hit him, but against Ellenberger shots just never really fazed him.

Still an amazing performance in a fight that I thought would be a back and forth war, but if I had to say what amazed me most, it's how different and worse Lawler's defence looked. Though it's still far better than everyone else's

No, Lawler was laughing at Ellenberger during the fight after a takedown then just got up like it was his little brother that just took him down. Hendricks vs Lawler was close but Hendricks took the 5th round giving him 3. I think Lawler beats Hendricks in a rematch though.

I certainly don't know about that.

Hendricks vs Berger would be pretty damn sick.

If Ellenberger could fight like "The Juggernaut" as he's called, he's one of the very best WWs in the world by a long shot.

Problem is that he's gun shy, he's worried about pulling the trigger. There's very few fighters in the world that go from the Jake against Jay Hieron to the Jake against Marquardt, a fighter where he really was "The Juggernaut". Super talented fighter, just needs to get his mind right.

If Ellenberger could fight like "The Juggernaut" as he's called, he's one of the very best WWs in the world by a long shot.

Problem is that he's gun shy, he's worried about pulling the trigger. There's very few fighters in the world that go from the Jake against Jay Hieron to the Jake against Marquardt, a fighter where he really was "The Juggernaut". Super talented fighter, just needs to get his mind right.

The guy doesn't even look like he belongs in there right now.

What happened to the guy who gave Condit a sick fight? I was almost worried about this fight and how confident everyone was in Lawler cause I know the guys sick when he wants to be.

Looking at his record however... He should have a shitload of leeway. Pretty nice resume. Only lost 3 of his last 11.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F5CHAMPIONSHIP
Back