Lawler looked better vs Hendricks than he did against Ellenberger

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by CELS, May 26, 2014.

1. CELS

CELS Brown Belt

I don't know why that's the case, but it's true. Lawler looked like a fuckin jedi when he fought Hendricks, like he saw everything coming a mile away. Only when his cardio faded, did he start to look vulnerable. He looked really relaxed, setting up his shots and mixing his attacks beautifully.

Against Ellenberger, Lawler looked good, but not as good. That was a huge surprise to me. You could say "Yeah, but Hendricks fought with a torn bicep", but in fact, Hendricks did a lot more than Ellenberger, so it's not like Ellenberger made Lawler look really bad - at least not more so than Hendricks.

Everyone has an off night, I guess. I don't think this was the best Lawler we've seen.

Am I wrong?

2. elzar

elzar Red Belt

huh? lawler looked terrific vs. ellenberger, and i'm not sure why you made this thread. he took off the final round against hendricks if that helps you to understand things a bit.

3. cocksure

cocksure Silver Belt

4. Mikeyz

Mikeyz Silver Belt

Nah man, Lawler looked just great against Berger.

Berger was hesitant to stand and trade with Lawler and Hendricks wasn't. That's why it appeared that way.

5. glennrod

glennrod Just like mountain, ya paying your dues

Every fight is different...

6. AP_RESURRECTION

AP_RESURRECTION Gold Belt

hendricks is way better than ellenberger, so its not unreasonable to say what you say - but results are what people look at strongly so not sure if you'll get much support there hehe

7. ackileez

ackileez ANALINGUSing a PAWG

Hendricks and lawler were having a boxing match. They were both in the pocket exhanging.

Burger was moving latteraly because he didnt wanna outright box with lawler.

Both very different.

Lawler looked great.

8. CELS

CELS Brown Belt

You are Sherdog personified. But we can still be friends.

You should post this in every thread. With that ellipsis at the end.

I must respectfully disagree. I'm not talking about the number of strikes. Of course the number of strikes is lower against an opponent who is more passive. I'm talking about the way Lawler's offense looked, the way he dealt with incoming shots.

That's what I'm thinking too. "Lawler finished Ellenberger, did not finish Hendricks. There is nothing that can be said about any fight that isn't expressed by the scorecards."

But a bit of sympathy from a dude with Hume & Orwell quotes in his sig goes a long way.

9. BobbyBuds

BobbyBuds Black Belt

lol, don't know why that's funny but lol.

10. Jopo

Jopo Silver Belt

Lawler looked way better against Burger and beat the shit out of him.

...and finished him

11. FeloniousMonk

FeloniousMonk Red Belt

Dude totally broke one of the best fighters at 170.
    What more do you want? Holy shit!

12. Sirwastealot

Sirwastealot Red Belt

Well he wasnt really getting much back from ellenberger. So it looked like he was going easy.

13. HaulParris

HaulParris Gold Belt

If/when Lawler & Hendricks rematch, Hendricks is going to go to his wrestling roots, win a UD, and make everyone forget how good Lawler looked in their first fight.

14. glennrod

glennrod Just like mountain, ya paying your dues

I really shouldn't have to..but oh well, as long as there are dummies who cant understand the amount of variables involved in fighting, and why two fights are not the same then I might as well...

15. markg171

markg171 Silver Belt

If anything I'd say it was his defense that looked completely different.

Against Hendricks, Lawler's defence was impeccable and Hendricks barely hit him once all night. Almost every shot was deflected, rolled with, or straight up dodged. Against Ellenberger he got tagged the few times that Jake threw and got far more hurt than he did against Hendricks. His defence was still great, but it wasn't the Jedi defence we saw against Hendricks where everything looked like it was perfectly anticipated and effortlessly dealt with. Against Hendricks, shots never really hit him, but against Ellenberger shots just never really fazed him.

Still an amazing performance in a fight that I thought would be a back and forth war, but if I had to say what amazed me most, it's how different and worse Lawler's defence looked. Though it's still far better than everyone else's

16. Kneeuinthenutz

Kneeuinthenutz Steel Belt

On the wave of MMA taking over the world.
    I certainly don't know about that.

Hendricks vs Berger would be pretty damn sick.

17. NoBiasJustMMA

NoBiasJustMMA Steel Belt

No, Lawler was laughing at Ellenberger during the fight after a takedown then just got up like it was his little brother that just took him down. Hendricks vs Lawler was close but Hendricks took the 5th round giving him 3. I think Lawler beats Hendricks in a rematch though.

18. DrHouse

DrHouse Silver Belt

If Ellenberger could fight like "The Juggernaut" as he's called, he's one of the very best WWs in the world by a long shot.

Problem is that he's gun shy, he's worried about pulling the trigger. There's very few fighters in the world that go from the Jake against Jay Hieron to the Jake against Marquardt, a fighter where he really was "The Juggernaut". Super talented fighter, just needs to get his mind right.

19. Jopo

Jopo Silver Belt

The guy doesn't even look like he belongs in there right now.

What happened to the guy who gave Condit a sick fight? I was almost worried about this fight and how confident everyone was in Lawler cause I know the guys sick when he wants to be.

Looking at his record however... He should have a shitload of leeway. Pretty nice resume. Only lost 3 of his last 11.