Lawler: Lazy error let Hendricks sit on me to victory

markg171

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/5/18/5724838/robbie-lawler-admits-lazy-error-cost-him-at-ufc-171

Lawler admits that he got a little lazy against Hendricks in the 5th and that laziness, and not being hurt, is what allowed Hendricks to get him down in the 5th. Says when he made his famous "shake my head" he was actually trying to get the ref's attention that Hendricks wasn't doing anything, not that he was looking at the clock mad as he couldn't actually see it as apparently there was no jumbotron

Lawler was losing the fifth even before the takedwon

He said he's gonna spar. Guess he still does occasionally.

It's not like he couldn't change everything with one punch. He couldn't do that from his back tho.

hendricks would have won the round without the takedown.

It's not like he couldn't change everything with one punch. He couldn't do that from his back tho.

IMO, even if he admits that he got lazy in the 5th, which I can kinda see, his biggest error was that he let Hendricks off in the 3rd. Hendricks had no idea where he was and Lawler picked that exact time in his violent career to hold back. That was a far bigger mistake than "getting lazy" in the 5th. The fight could have never gone to the 5th if he'd just attacked like normal

Last edited:
Welp, Hendricks has the belt because of it. Chalk it up to experience I guess.

I still think Robbie should have got the decision

Welp, Hendricks has the belt because of it. Chalk it up to experience I guess.

True. He certainly learned against GSP that letting the 5th slip away is a bad idea.

That takedown won the fight. Everyone knew it the moment it happened and everyone knows it now.

According to Dana and Hendrick's own logic, Robby won that fight. He beat up Johnny pretty bad and had him hurt several times. Johnny got that one takedown and it was the only one that mattered.

That takedown won the fight. Everyone knew it the moment it happened and everyone knows it now.

According to Dana and Hendrick's own logic, Robby won that fight. He beat up Johnny pretty bad and had him hurt several times. Johnny got that one takedown and it was the only one that mattered.

He certainly did the more damage.

Yet Lawler did not whinge like a little girl after. He took it like a man.

Hendricks was winning the fifth seems a bit salty to moan about being 'laid on' for a minute of the fight by a monster wrestler who banged with a striker for 4.75 rounds in the biggest fight of his life.

Hendricks was winning the fifth seems a bit salty to moan about being 'laid on' for a minute of the fight by a monster wrestler who banged with a striker for 4.75 rounds in the biggest fight of his life.

What do you mean "banged with"? Hendricks missed every shot that he threw all fight long. He won because of his pressure, not because he actually had anything in the stand up for Lawler. He threw lots of strikes that looked good but all missed or were deflected, while Lawler hit him at will. He "banged with" the striker because he couldn't take him down and he was outclassed while they were on the feet.

Lol at trying to make it sound like Hendricks and Lawler were even in the stand up, or that Hendricks had huge balls for standing with the striker. He had no choice but to as he couldn't get him down. He couldn't get him down and he couldn't win the striking. It was decidedly lopsided in Lawler's favour, but kudos to Hendricks for staying in there and racking up points by looking busy. But by no means in hell did he win the fight by "banging with the striker for 4.75 rounds" like you suggest. He won by being the busiest fighter, even if it led him nowhere

I still think Lawler got Robbed! I bet on that fight and put my money on Hendricks, at the end of the fight I handed my money over before the announcement, when The scorecards were announced we were all shocked, and I took my money back lol! I'm still shocked there wasn't outrage on the internet when I got home and checked.

Back