1 Minute @ 1 Resistance
16 Minutes @ 4 Resistance (half)
3 Minutes @ 7 Resistance (max)

Active Rest:
5 minutes​

C2 Rower:
10 Resistance @ a 650c/ph pace for ten minutes

_Monday | Strength Development: Leg Day

Notes: Working with theArizona state powerlifting champion for the over 45+ competitors.

Squats:
135 warmup x 10 =
225 warmup x 5 =
275 x 5 =
200 x 10 = 2000 (squat to parallel, then immediately back up to a quarter squat. No rest, or pause)

Linear Hack Squat:
195 x 10 =
240 x 2 =
195 x 10 =

Lying Ham String Curls:
95 x failure + one legged negatives
85 x failure + one legged negatives
85 x failure + one legged negatives

Push Calves:
155 x 10
155 x 10
155 x 10
155 x 10
155 x 10

Reflections on the Sessions: Eddie watched my squat form during warmup sets. He affirmed my form is "beautiful" with "a lot of hip and glute engagement." After stating that is exactly what I wanted for MMA, he got all excited and said hips are use din everything, and developing the hips is an important factor many people do not understand. Additionally, he stated the Five Finger shoes help grip the ground and allow me proper weight distribution between ball and heel.
On top of those glowing affirmations, however, Eddie did state I was getting caught in the squat pocket. He stated my back was obviously strong enough to support the weight, but the transition between quads and hips needs to be developed as that transition is my weak spot. This is what led to the 200lbx10 squats. He stated that by developing the quads and the glutes I'll be on the fast track to develop that transition. And the best way to do so was raw reps.
Afterward, Eddie recommended assistance work like linear hack squats, leg curls, and calves. I admitted to never have done the hack squats, and have not touched the curl and calve stations in years. He said just stick to 3-4 sets of 8-10 reps and I'll be good.
Then his crazy-outspoken-friend Chaz who-works-out-in-a-one-piece-leotard-and-is-50-years-old with single digit body fat showed me some leg curl workouts. I used both legs to explode up, pause, then slowly go down. I did this until failure. Then, at failure he had be go up with both legs and then go down with one leg, alternating legs every time. Did this to failure for three sets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice log as always bob very pleasing on the eye and such!!

Just one question about the clinch counter to punches, when you've put grab the back of their neck, shouldn't that be grab the back of their head??

Also out of curiosity I'm sure you've mentioned it b4 but I've misses the middle part of your log!! But what is Karate Garage Fight Club?? It sounds awesome!!

Nice log as always bob very pleasing on the eye and such!!

Just one question about the clinch counter to punches, when you've put grab the back of their neck, shouldn't that be grab the back of their head??

You know, leverage states to grab where there is least muscle, so the base of the head seems most dominant. I'll ask Tony tonight where to grab. As I stated before, with his wealth of combat knowledge this guy will do things differently, but his method is functional. Also, I'm taking a notebook to class and taking notes just so I'm more clear on technique and the sessions. Now that I know people are actually reading I'll have more motivation to be more concise!

Also out of curiosity I'm sure you've mentioned it b4 but I've misses the middle part of your log!! But what is Karate Garage Fight Club?? It sounds awesome!!

my roommate and I converted the garage into an MMA gym --heavy bags, MMA mats, all the gear. My friend once said, "hey man when you gonna invite me to play karate in your garage?" That stuck with me, so I just call it Garage Karate Fight Club. I'll post some pics for you!

Going to follow your log just because of your forum name. I am a fan.

_Tuesday | Strength Development: Upper Body Day

Notes: Working with the Arizona state powerlifting champion for the over 45+ competitors.

Bench Press | Eddie's Assessment of my form:
4x5's:
75 x 5
95 x 5
125 x 5
155 x 5

Heavy Singles:
175 x 1
185 x 1
Notes: During these lifts Eddie watched my bench form.
Feet: I struggled on the way up, Eddie just nudged the bar back to center and I locked it out. He stated to keep my feet flat because that's how his powerlifting federation does it. WHY do they keep the feet flat? Eddie explained that the legs in and toes arching the back does help, but because it uses muscles, your form will fatique, and this may do more harm in the long run. Keeping feet flat uses the skeletal structure.

Back Arch: Eddie stated to lay flat with my head a little past the bar, and THEN bring the shoulder blades toward the butt, not scrunch them toward one another at the same time.

Centering: Eddie noticed on my bench I would subconsciously adjust the weight so my right arm was doing more work to make up for the left arm. He stated this doesn't necessarily mean the left arm is weaker, but a learned response when under heavy load. Eddie stated the solution to this was pure reps of good form, and that high-rep explosive bench would rewrite the neuromuscular pathways and get the muscle memroy back on track.

High Rep Explosives:
95x3x11
Notes: As suggested above we performed 11 sets of our 50%1RM at three reps each. The exercise calls for lowering the weight at a normal steady pace, and then "explode up as fast and as violently as humanly possible while holding onto the bar." 95lbs was really easy, even at the 33rd rep. Guess he just doesn't know how powerful I really am :p

Standing Push Press:
95x7
Notes: Need to remember to "duck under" the weight as it's coming up.

Lateral Pull-Downs:
Elbows out, touch the chest, grip slightly wide (about thumb length from apex)
I forgot how much weight I did. One set to failure.

Seated Close-Grip Cable Rows:
Elbows out, touch the chest
I forgot how much weight I did on this one too. One set to failure.

Dumbbell Bench Press:
65xfailure

Dumbbell Shoulder Press:
40xfailure

Reflections on the Sessions: Another educational session with Eddie. A few things I remember:
1.) Negatives tax the body to the point of doing more damage than rebuilding. While negatives have their place, to constantly do them encourages strength loss. Negatives are ideal just before a long lifting vacation.
2.) The ideal intake is 50% protein, 30% carbs, 20% fat.

Took a month off of maximal strength training with Eddy, picked up the Keysi Fight Method with my coach, so it's been four days a week of MMA and self-defense.

Starting next week I'll be developing power-endurance in the mornings with my younger brother. It'll be two-a-days, so I've amped up my supplements with:

1.) Creative Monohydrate (Optimum Nutrition): 2.5g x 8 = 20g a day as reccommended by ON as per the loading phase
2.) After-Max Recovery: to ensure a solid recovery
3.) True Mass: to ensure righteous amounts of carbs as my body will need the extra energy for the two-a-days.

Bumping this log as a reminder for myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Long time no talk! I'll check your log here in a minute to see your progress.

I did 315 on trap bar deadlifts 15 times just a few weeks ago and my back felt great. Time off was fantastic for my back, that and a recommended and reputable chiropractor.

Also, the hernia-like symptoms were strains in my abdominal wall, and went away after using a belt.

Before this summer I used neither a chiropractor or a belt, but now I love them both.

Wow! Log resurrection! Good to have you back.

That's great news!

And indeed, belts are awesome.

Wow! Log resurrection! Good to have you back.

Yeah, I pretty much took the summer off from lifting and MMA in general. Did a lot of nerd stuff like attend Comic Con here in Phoenix and Anime Expo in LA, so I definitely have been living life... if not in some weird geeky way :p.

Time to get back on track though: need to start conditioning, continue my MMA'ing, and get updated on the website. Sadly though, yoga takes a back seat since I've picked up the Keysi Fight Method.

Yeah, I pretty much took the summer off from lifting and MMA in general. Did a lot of nerd stuff like attend Comic Con here in Phoenix and Anime Expo in LA, so I definitely have been living life... if not in some weird geeky way :p.

Time to get back on track though: need to start conditioning, continue my MMA'ing, and get updated on the website. Sadly though, yoga takes a back seat since I've picked up the Keysi Fight Method.

Sounds like fun.

I don't do too much yoga these days- hardly any lately, focussing more on dynamic stretching. Although my last two lifting sessions I have done about 5 minutes of yoga at the end and it has felt great. Just find it hard to fit in everything I want to do.

General Endurance | Week 2: Morning

Warm-Up walk and dynamic stretch

Sled Drags:
40lbs of weight in the sled + whatever the sled itself weights.
10 seconds work
40 seconds rest
6 intervals
Note: I covered quite a bit of distance on the first three intervals, but even at 40 second rest my legs felt like all the steam got flushed by the fourth set. Mentally I was okay, but my quads just could not keep up to my brain. Sled drags weren't this bad last week, so I wonder if it has to do with difference in breakfast? Last week I had oatmeal + sugar/brown sugar. This morning I just had a coconut water. I'll try new things.

Farmers Walk:
140lbs total (70lbs x 2)
3 sets to distance, distance not really measured. Stopped once form broke down or the burning in the forearm became too overwhelming.

Cool down walk

Back