Law Bob Loblaw's Brawl Blog

_Week 16: Texas Method | Week 3:

Thursday| Garage Sessions:

Just under 2 full hours

Worked stand-up:
1.) Felt decent on dropping level and hitting the body
2.) Need to react faster when being shot at
3.) Gas tank is gone after at the last thirty seconds of a 3-minute round, work on that
4.) Work on slipping punches, and popping in and out on someone with reach like Jacob's
5.) Jacob was real aggressive and kept catching you with jabs, watch those

Worked ground:
Notes: Jacob said I'm really fast, and I FEEL fast. I feel more aggressive, moving more quickly and attacking more, and that tells me I'm getting more comfortable on the mat. He stated while it's a huge strength over bigger, slower guys, I may find issue with guys my size. So focus more on technique.

1.) Armbar from the bottom x 1
2.) Work on arm triangle, really getting better at executing it, not letting them muscle in time
3.) Got arm triangled once by Mannie, next time be aware of the wall and his inability to rotate
4.) Got Americana'ed twice by Jacob, don't let the limbs loose

_Week 16: Texas Method | Week 3:

Friday| Test:
BW warmup x 7
135 x 5

Squats:
225 x 3
275 x 1
295 x 1 (felt tough)
325 x 0 = Failed, wasn't coming back up
315 x 0 = Failed, wasn't coming back up
Notes: Looking back, I should've warmed up more. I didn't do the usual 7 minutes of light aerobics, and I basically jumped straight to 325

OHP:
115 x 3 =
135 x 0
125 x 1

Deadlift:
295 x 5
300 x 1 = Back rounded a bit

BW Pullups:
1 x Fail
1 x Fail
1 x Fail

_Week 17: Texas Method | Week 4:

Monday:
Gym was closed due to President's Day so Jacob, Colt, and I did P90X Plyometrics. And man did that wreck us.

Made it to the 13 minute's left mark, which isn't bad all considering. Feel good afterwords. Knee high jump squats KILL me, make me want to throw up. And any jumping with hands over head cause me the same feelings of hurling.

Just curious, Bob. How long you been training? MMA and weight training?

I recently started weight training after doing MMA training for a little over 2 years. A few buddies of mine are into that kind of thing and have a knowledge of what to do for explosiveness for fighting. We do a lot of explosiveness exercises. They focus on synergies. Like, deadlifting so you're pulling weight off the ground. High jumping so you're pushing it off. Stuff like that. Short bursts then recovering. My buddy is trained and certified by the Marinovich's or whatever. The guys who trained BJ Penn.

Also, don't mean to brag. But I seriously walked into the gym my first day. Never before have I deadlifted. With a little coaching on my technique, I deadlifted 365 pounds the first day. Came back a week later and did 405. My squat was 315. Though I only tried that the first day. I'm 165 or so and I fight at 155.

We didn't do any upper body lifts. I can imagine they'll be terrible because I have super long skinny arms and no real chest.

Just curious, Bob. How long you been training? MMA and weight training?

I recently started weight training after doing MMA training for a little over 2 years. A few buddies of mine are into that kind of thing and have a knowledge of what to do for explosiveness for fighting. We do a lot of explosiveness exercises. They focus on synergies. Like, deadlifting so you're pulling weight off the ground. High jumping so you're pushing it off. Stuff like that. Short bursts then recovering. My buddy is trained and certified by the Marinovich's or whatever. The guys who trained BJ Penn.

Also, don't mean to brag. But I seriously walked into the gym my first day. Never before have I deadlifted. With a little coaching on my technique, I deadlifted 365 pounds the first day. Came back a week later and did 405. My squat was 315. Though I only tried that the first day. I'm 165 or so and I fight at 155.

We didn't do any upper body lifts. I can imagine they'll be terrible because I have super long skinny arms and no real chest.

I've been repping my bones into agony trying to get where I'm at and you're already past me!
F*** you Major Tom. F*** YOU

Actually, that's encouraging since I'll be switching to explosive work sometime soon. What did you guys do exactly? can your buddy jot up a plan for me? I'll paypal him!

Enter your stats into Sherdog's strongest: you'll be right up there in our weight class as one of the better lifters.

idk anything about making muscles all bigger and stuff but i sure do love arrested development

idk anything about making muscles all bigger and stuff but i sure do love arrested development

lul thnx i got banned from xbox live for having this in my prof:

I am the world's first dual professionist: I am an analyst, and a therapist. I am the world's first analrapist.

Tobias-Funke-business-card.jpg

i kant believ they banned me for that lol

Tuesday | Stress:

C2 Rower - 7 minutes - 3 Res

BW warmup x 7
135 x 5 =
205 x 3 =

Squats:
225 x 3
255 x 1
275 x 5 = 1375
275 x 5 = 1375
275 x 5 = 1375
275 x 5 = 1375
275 x 5 = 1375
_Total: 6875
Notes: My brother Colt spotted me and that really seemed to give me the boost I needed to push through these. Last week 270 felt impossible on the last set (due to yoga and poor weekend diet), but 275 felt like a breeze. I really think I could've made 280 happen.

Bench:
155 x 5 = 775
155 x 5 = 775
155 x 5 = 775
155 x 5 = 775
155 x 5 = 775
_Total: 3875

Bent Over Row:
150 x 5 = 750
150 x 5 = 750
150 x 5 = 750
_Total: 2250

BW Dips:
1 x Fail
1 x Fail
1 x Fail

_Grand Total: 13,000lbs (did not include squat warm-ups or bw exercises)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice squatting!

I have 5 sets of 5 at 275 planned for tomorrow. Let's see if I hit it as well :p

You squat beltless right?

Wednesday | :

Yoga:
Still debating if I want to pay the monthyl fee for yoga classes.

The pro's of going to yoga:
+1 for stretchiness
+1 for breathing development
+1 for lower back strength
+1 for muscular endurance
+1,000 for cuties

The cons:
-2 for scheduling conflicts
-3 for money

That puts yoga at a +999 points.

Teadmill:
13 minutes 4.5pmh
2 minutes walking
10 minutes 5.5

My god the DOMS.

My whole body is destroyed from those squats.

And I feel mentally stronger after those. It definitely is a huge milestone. Looking forward to the 315 before the end of the year (and before you!) :icon_evil

Oh shit! Are you still weighing 160? If so, I have 8-9lb on you haha.

Oh shit! Are you still weighing 160? If so, I have 8-9lb on you haha.

I stopped GOMAD and I instantly dropped back down to 155! LAME

I want to be at 165-170, because I want that strength that comes with it. For skinny guys like me, every two pounds makes a difference.

_Week 18: Texas Method | Week 5:

Monday

Yoga:
Class became more rough than anticipated. We held moves for a few breath cycles (planks, lunges, one-leg-on-ground-the-other-in-the-air) and repeated and I was breathing hard and sweating. Felt good though.

I do notice the immediate benefits of yoga and cardio! The morning after my legs feel sore, stretched, and refreshed: a very welcome feeling. My back feels sore, but more loose. Everything (well, my muscles more specifically) just feels refreshed.

Took the plunge and paid the fee. After remembering how toxic my spine is I decided it's best for me to stay stretched out and nimble.

Teadmill:
4.5-6.0mph 2.5 miles
On and off rest time, finished last 1/10 mile at 7.0mph to feel it out. 6.0 feels good, and 7.0 is rough.

100th Log Post

_Week 18: Texas Method | Week 5:

Tuesday | Stress:

Eliptical: 6 ramp, 6 Resistance 5 minutes

BW warmup x 7
135 x 5 =
205 x 1 =
225 x 1 =
275 x 1 =

Squats:
280 x 5 = 1400
280 x 5 = 1400
280 x 5 = 1400
280 x 4 = 1120 (ran out a juice)
280 x 6 = 1680 (kicked feet to 45 degree angle, spread legs out more, and just pumped these out like crazy. No spot)
_Total: 7000

OHP:
115 x 2 = 230
95 x 5 = 380
95 x 6 = 570
95 x 5 = 475
_Total: 1655

Bent Over Row:
140 x 5 = 700
140 x 5 = 700
140 x 5 = 700
_Total: 2100

BW Dips:
1 x Fail
1 x Fail
1 x Fail

_Grand Total: 10,755lbs (did not include squat warm-ups or bw exercises)

Notes: Obviously, by looking at my stats my lower body ran out of steam. I'm not sure if pure exhaustion was induced by the 280 squat, or poor hydration and diet, or a combination thereof, but my upper body was noticeably less enduring.

Functional Edge Mixed Martial Arts Training:

Worked stand-up with Tony. He's ex-Black Water, retired police officer, and a Naval Nuclear Security retiree.

Worked foot-work: taught to never cross feet, especially when moving laterally. Showed us pivoting when circling an opponent (creating angles).

Worked on covering up: when punching, or blocking a hit, Tony teaches to place the hand on the forehead and use the forearm as your shield. We drilled by him using focus mitts to throw a punch, and we'd cover up and block the hit with our forearms. This felt VERY different from boxing or Muay Thai, but Tony's wisdom came out when we started using this cover up technique when throwing punches.
Throwing a punch means a normal twist-at-torso with chin-tucked-in, except now your entire face is covered with that forearm in front of you. Very cool, and looks very effective for the small gloves in MMA.

However, class is $150 a month with a one-year contract. Pretty extreme since it's only 8 hours. Lee's offers 40 hours of boxing AND Muay Thai for $90 a month, no contract.

Back