Warm up:
Bodysquats x 10 =
Bar x 5 =
135 x 5 =
225 x 3 =

Squats:
265 x 5 = 1325
265 x 5 = 1325
265 x 4 = 1060 (stopped after fourth due to difficulty)
265 x 5 = 1325
265 x 5 = 1325 (had a small crowd gather to watch this last set. felt really cool)
_Total: 6360

C2 Rower Active Rest: 7 minutes on 3 resistance (cute Asian chick let me cut in to do my active rest)

OHP:
105 x 5 = 525
105 x 5 = 525
105 x 5 = 525
105 x 3 = 315
105 x 2 = 210
_Total: 2100

Treadmill: 6 minutes on 2.6 mph, legs felt devastated

Pendlay Rows:
125 x 8 = 1000
125 x 8 = 1000
125 x 8 = 1000
_Total: 3000

Marine Pull-ups (lock elbows when dropped)
BW x 8
BW x 5
BW x 3
BW x 2

My left arm feels way better, little issues.

_Grand Total: 11, 460 lbs

Note: I spent more time stretching. I focused more on back stretches than I ever have. I did the thing where you roll backwards and kick your toes over you-stretch, and I did hanging stretches where you just hang from a pullup bar and let your lower back be stretched by your bodyweight. This felt so fantastic. When I got home I felt extremely sick: my body felt sensitive, I broke out into a cold sweat. I felt fine after waking up, but I was absolutely miserable for those few hours. I must have released a bunch of toxins while stretching, because my back hasn't been stretched like that for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
_Week 15: Texas Method | Week 2:

Tuesday | Garage Grappling Practice:
2 hours of grappling. Mannie (240lbs) and Jacob (285lbs) were my partners.

Ribs feel much better. Reviewed Roy Dean's "Gilloteen" choke from "No-Gi Essentials." I hadn't realized just how bad my technique was! Apparently, you are to sink the elbow deeper into the adams apple, just like a RNC. I had just been strong-arming my forearm into their throat. So instead using my manly man muscles, I just sink it in, twist to get deeper, and lean back. Worked like a charm.

Need to work on:
1.) Slapping that triangle on faster, work on not getting stacked in the process. I need to wrap that leg AROUND the neck instantly, I think I'm too afraid of an accidental kick. EDIT: Actually, I think my leg wraps just fine, but my other leg needs to shoot up faster and seal the deal. Next comes tightening up the opponents head and arm.
2.) Watching the arms as I fall into Kimura's and Americana's often. Granted, I muscle out of them, but there will come a time when I'm too tired to do so.
3.) Keeping hands in ribs/pelvis region when on top. Breaking guard more efficiently instead of going into half guard.

Did good on:
1.) Guillotine x 1
2.) Swept Jacob from the bottom to top
3.) Aggressive manuevers to take side mount

_Week 15: Texas Method | Week 2:

Thursday| Garage Practice:

Stand-Up Sparring:
Spar Manny - 3 minutes
2 Minute Rest
Spar Jacob - 3 minutes

1.) Learn to defend combo's intelligently and not get caught backing up.
2.) Watch the shoot
3.) Work on your shooting better instead of just tackling. Don't drop at your waist and charge in.
4.) Learn to work when getting caught with knees.
5.) For Jacob's long reach learn to pop in and out with that jab, GSP style.
6.) Follow-through with the kicks, don't just touch with the shin or plant the leg at their side.
7.) WORK ON slipping punches!!

Stand-Up Circuit:
2 Minutes Wrecking ball: worked uppercuts, hooks, and closing the distance
1 Min Rest
2 Min Jump Rope
1 Min Rest
2 Min Thai bag: worked kick and punch combos

Repeat

Stand-Up Sparring:
Got knocked in the solar plexus and fell to the ground with one swift kick from Jacob. Learn to make that NOT happen (read on plexus covering, flexing, ab work, whatever).

Ground-work:
Rolled for seemingly 20 minutes

2.5 hours total

_Week 15: Texas Method | Week 2

Friday:

Warm up:
Body squats =
135 x 5 =
225 x 3 =
275 x 1 =
295 x 1 =

315 x 1 = Not sure if I actually did it or not.... see below for story

315 x 1 = [PR+ 5lbs]
_Total:

C2 Rower for 5 minutes on 3 resistance

OHP:
135 x 0 = fail
130 x 1 = 130
_Total: 130

C2 Rower Active Rest: 5 minutes on 3 resistance

Deadlift:
275 x 5 = Felt like low back rounding a bit...
_Total: 1375

_Grand Total: 3,085 lbs (counted all squats from 225 on)

Here's the permalink:
I just got back from the gym and I have to say, I'm pretty proud of the session.

All day I've been worrying about my 1RM for today: the 315 squat. I kept psyching myself up preparing for it while walking the hallways at work, sitting at the desk, etc etc. And as I left work, went to the gym, I started getting anxious in the locker room: the time had come. I'd been thinking about it all week, and it's been a milestone of mine for a month now.

After warming up, I threw three plates on each side of the bar, asked a guy for a spot, and took a deep breath.

I went down, I went up, I racked it. I squatted 315. Or did I? There's a mirror in front of the squat racks and even though you're not supposed to watch it, I couldn't help but glance at my form as I started going back up. And it looked like I didn't make parallel, or if I did it was really close. I asked my spot if he saw, but he said he wasn't looking (he didn't even know how to spot until I showed him!!). He went back to his thing and I stood there debating on whether I broke parallel or not. I tried to reenact the squat without weights, so I had my arms out like an airplane trying to measure the distance from the safety bars. I came to the conclusion that I DID meet parallel, but without me knowing FOR SURE FOSHO, I wouldn't go home proud of this milestone, and I sure as anything was NOT about to wait until next week.

So I asked the guy to spot me one last time. A random dude on the decline situp bench stopped what he was doing to come over and watch. I took a deep breath, racked it, flexed my stomach, and went for the squat. I watched myself drop that ass like it was HOT, and then push out of that pocket with all the power my little Asian glutes could generate. And I was done. I racked it, my spotter shook my hand, the random dude gave me daps, and I felt proud.

I didn't have a story until now, and I'm glad I waited to share a story I am truly proud of. I'm more proud of myself for ensuring I did the squat right than I am of squatting 315 twice. Feels good to be certain of something.

_Week 15: Texas Method | Week 2 Weekly Totals

Weekly Totals

14,545 lbs moved (not including warm-ups or bodyweight exercises)

5.5 hours of MMA practice

_Week 15: Texas Method | Week 3

Monday:

One hour of Yoga I decided yoga would be best after discovering how toxic my spine was last Monday

Warm up:
Bodysquats x 10 =
Bar x 5 =
135 x 5 =
225 x 3 =

Squats:
270 x 5 = 1350
270 x 5 = 1350
270 x 3 = 810
270 x 1 = 270
270 x 5 = 1350 (spotter)
270 x 5 = 1350 (spotter)
_Total: 6480

OHP:
110 x 5 = 550
110 x 5 = 550
110 x 5 = 550
_Total: 1650

Pendlay Rows:
145 x 5 = 725
145 x 5 = 725
145 x 5 = 725
_Total: 2175

Dips:
BW x fail
BW x fail
BW x fail

My left arm feels way better, little issues.

_Grand Total: 10, 305 lbs (did not count BW exercises)

Note: Yoga was pretty tame. No super stretches, and I'm as flexible as some of the more experienced women in there. I did notice loss of strength, ESPECIALLY on the last three sets of squats. I will not be doing both directly after one another as maximal strength is still the goal. Although blaming yoga is still early as I've had a poor diet/hydration over the weekend.

Don't be afraid to look around and try different yoga classes. There is a huge difference between styles, and a huge difference between good teachers and indifferent ones. As for difficulty level, I've been to classes where I was the most flexible person even when I was a beginner, and I've been to classes where 25% of the students can to a perfect kurmasana:

3285466783_6cc437d075.jpg

and a few people can do supta kurmasana:

21c-Supta-Kurmasana-Vinyasa-out.jpg

If you can go to a class like that and you're more flexible than most people, then you probably don't need to go to that many classes.

BTW, awesome job on the 315lb squat!

Uhhh... we didn't do anything of that complexity. I meant twisting my torso, legs, etc. Didn't do anything of that... yoga-ness.

it was a basics class.

Uhhh... we didn't do anything of that complexity. I meant twisting my torso, legs, etc. Didn't do anything of that... yoga-ness.

it was a basics class.

Just checking! But if you found what you were doing easy, then you want to run through the basics really quickly and start working towards stuff like that.

I guess I was concerned that you would give up on yoga because it is too easy!

Just checking! But if you found what you were doing easy, then you want to run through the basics really quickly and start working towards stuff like that.

I guess I was concerned that you would give up on yoga because it is too easy!

No no, she set the tone to be more ambietic this time around (probably for V-day). I would only quit as I'm getting scheduling conflicts between lifting, MMA, and now yoga. I am still interested in taking classes, though.

No no, she set the tone to be more ambietic this time around (probably for V-day). I would only quit as I'm getting scheduling conflicts between lifting, MMA, and now yoga. I am still interested in taking classes, though.

Cool. There's not many yoga practitioners here, so I have a vested interest. My own yoga has lapsed a bit, but I will get it back (hard to completely lose it after 7 years of practice) and will strart practising regularly. Might even post some videos in my log once my flexibility is good again.

Cool. There's not many yoga practitioners here, so I have a vested interest. My own yoga has lapsed a bit, but I will get it back (hard to completely lose it after 7 years of practice) and will strart practising regularly. Might even post some videos in my log once my flexibility is good again.

Lol, don't be offended if I don't sit down and have a thorough watch of that vid.

Lol, don't be offended if I don't sit down and have a thorough watch of that vid.

No offense will be taken. I really plan to make the video for my own benefit so I can critique my own form. If I put it up, it will just be for giggles.

_Week 16: Texas Method | Week 3:

Tuesday | Garage Practice:
2.5 hours of practice. Mannie (240lbs), Auralies (225ish) and Jacob (285lbs) were my partners.

Worked kicks, punches, familiarity with taking slight hits. Went through the boxing basics of punches, really focused on popping those punches. Worked kicks on kick shield.

Ground game, worked on keeping focus, breathing, pacing, watching those loose limbs, and being aware of their limbs.

Need to work on:
1.) Slapping that triangle on faster, underhooking the proper side this time
2.) Making contact with the kick, letting opponent feel it slightly
3.) Ducking punches more, using hooks when closer

Did good on:
1.) Triangle x 1
2.) Armbar x 2
3.) RNC x 1
4.) Kick and punch combo's, keeping an eye for openings in opponet

_Week 16: Texas Method | Week 3:

Wednesday | Recovery:

Yoga:
1 hour. Repeat of Monday. Tried to keep lower back flexed and "tall" the entire time, but man is that hard. I can deadlift 295, but can't keep my back flexed for a stretch? I'm starting to like yoga a lot more (actually having cute girls in the class this time didn't hurt) as I feel the effects of it. I feel better running, and I feel my lower back getting worked. I'm excited to see how this affects my jiu-jitsu in the coming months.

Jogging:
34 minutes at 4.5 mph, with two breaks in between. Yoga made a HUGE difference. I run in Vibrams, and usually my calves/shins start to feel real tight and then ache, but with yoga I didn't feel that until deeper into the run. And that was just a light yoga sessions.

Notes: Overall, it was a really good session. I felt fantastic afterwards: my body was nice and stretched, my muscled released any extra toxins with that run. Seriously, I recommend yoga and light cardio to everyone. It's a awesome feeling.

Back