Lauzon's stock is higher than ever

I'd love to see him matched up against another top 10 fighter. Fights against Cerrone (if he loses to Pettis) or Nate Diaz would be great.

I'd like him against any top 5 fighter, but I also don't want him to have another loss, just for his record and rep. But he is absolutely golden. Him vs Diaz would be great, but I wouldn't want either to lose - my favourite TUF season (not just because of BJ).

I'd pay for a Lauzon headliner over any champion besides Aldo, JJ, and Anderson.

the question I pose to those who don't agree with him being top ten is which ten fighters are better than him atm?

MY ten would be:

1) Bendo
1a) (Frankie - not a LW anymore)
2) Gilbert
3) Nate
4) Maynard
5) Pettis
6) Cerrone
7) Miller
8) Aoki
9) BJ (kidding)

I really think 2 - 6 are interchangeable. Miller has only lost to the last two in a title fight, so someone could make a case for him being higher ranked if the rest of the top 10 wasn't so stacked. I say J-Lau is 9 or 10 on this list.
Thoughts?

P.S
The guy who said Melvin was better is right from a skill POV, but also right in that Melvin needs a head check (but he's never managed to sort out himself out). He's one of those frustrating fighers I always get excited to watch, and scream at the tv for him to fight properly

Love the guy, win or lose.

He brings it every time.

old news but Guida and Edgar are dropping to Featherweight but even so .. is Lauzon a worthy entry as a top 10 candidate .. especially coming off a loss to Miller?

it was a very entertaining fight, but Joe took a beating that 1st round. Came back strong but lost a close decision

with guys like Bendo, Pettis, Melendez, Maynard, Cerrone, Jim Miller already ranked

I don't think putting Lauzon in makes much sense. He hasn't consistently beaten the opposition to warrant a top 10 ranking. Shucks the Guillard win was a huge upset at the time, with Melvin on the brink of a title shot .. and then Lauzon follows up with getting his lights put out vs Pettis his next fight.

Joe did bounce back with a nice submission win over Varner, but this loss to Miller is a setback if anything. Oh well at least he was entertaining.

Hopefully he can come back strong in 2013 and put some wins together

That's what I was saying. Frankie and Guida are still ranked, despite dropping to FW so there's technically 2 open spots on Sherdog's top 10. There's no one else who would warrant one of those spots other than maybe Varner, Alvarez or Lauzon, but Lauzon beat Varner so I'd probably have it:

1. Henderson
2. Melendez
3. Maynard
4. Pettis
5. Diaz
6. Cerrone
7. Miller
8. Chandler
9. Alvarez
10. Lauzon

Don't see why Melendez is ranked so high when his only top 10 win is a split decision against Guida back in 2006.

that was an amazing fight. Joe's standup needs improvement if he wants to move up the ranks. He looks very awkward on his feet and he was covering up 85 percent of the time. Miller is a beast though. Props to both fighters

J-Lau is awesome. I doubt he's ever gonna be champ but he'll always be one of my favorite fighters, he can headline a PPV and i'd still buy it.

That's what I was saying. Frankie and Guida are still ranked, despite dropping to FW so there's technically 2 open spots on Sherdog's top 10. There's no one else who would warrant one of those spots other than maybe Varner, Alvarez or Lauzon, but Lauzon beat Varner so I'd probably have it:

1. Henderson
2. Melendez
3. Maynard
4. Pettis
5. Diaz
6. Cerrone
7. Miller
8. Chandler
9. Alvarez
10. Lauzon

right but Edgar and Guida moving aside, I don't think Lauzon should be top 10 coming off a year where he lost clearly to two other top 10 guys in Pettis & Miller.

Last night was a huge fight for both Lauzon and Miller. To be the co-main event to a Heavyweight title PPV is a big deal, especially when the rest of the fights weren't exactly spectacular. They both proved why they have a reputation of always bringing it, and I wouldn't be surprised to see either fighter Co-Main event a PPV again or Main Event a free card next year.

I'm a fan of Joe and I like watching him fight. No way that going 1-2 in a year is a good thing.

I think that it comes down to expectations. If you think Joe is a real title contender then you leave 2012 disappointed in that he loses more often than not when he steps up in competition.

On the other hand, if you view Joe as a top 10 guy who is really fun to watch and is a handful for anyone, then you look at his 2012 fights and think that he had a pretty good year.

IMO - he is the latter. Which is still ok.

Hope that he heals up well and look forward to seeing him back in the cage

Lauzon is the man. When I heard the story about him knocking out Pulver then going back to his computer networking job the next Monday I was in love. He's like the underdog who takes it to the top ranked guys

Joe is awesome. He's never lost 2 in a row so I hope he gets someone like Spencer Fisher or Bocek. I see Joe beating both in 2 fun fights

Joe did a kamehameha once in an interview, actually made him my favourite fighter ever =D

Joe's reputation is definitely way up right now, but he might have worn himself out in the process. Look at Shogun after his recent wars. Also, Hominick made himself a big name against Aldo but then was never the same. Its not good to take beatings like that, but at least in Joe's case it was more cuts than getting rocked.

Lauzon is badass. He is the very definition of "never say die".

Miller deserves his props too.

All I know is that Lauzon is young and I hope he's got 10 more fights left in him in the UFC. I don't care if he keeps splitting wins and losses, he always puts on a show.

Back