Lauzon analyzes Palhares' subs

there really is no for a breakdown of his idiocracy but lauzon is right and pretty much anyone with the ability to see through their eyes can see that palhares is unethical and reckless. good riddance if he can't follow the rulebook.
on another note: those gouges he was accused of are what i'd really like to see a recap of being i didn't watch the event.

ScornfulVacantBuckeyebutterfly.0.gif

HeftyFaithfulIbadanmalimbe.0.gif

SerenePointedCrocodile.gif

here

While J-Lau's data and analysis is great, I think he's missing the point by focusing on reaction time alone. Damage done by holding a sub varies by type of sub.

Palhares typically goes for heel hooks and kneebars (this is his first sub by kimura). Anyone who's trained knows that leg submissions are even more dangerous than arm submissions because you generally can't feel the sub until the damage is already done. By the time you're tapping, if the guy doesn't release IMMEDIATELY, you're screwed. 0.1 second too late can be the difference. For this reason, most BJJ schools won't even let students train heel hooks until purple belt.

Holding a choke too long is nowhere near as damaging as holding a kneebar or kimura. It looks dick-ish, but holding an RNC or triangle a second or 2 after the guy goes unconscious will not cause any permanent damage.

So Babalu getting cut for holding his anaconda vs. David Heath was more about optics than actual injury to the opponent. Palhares' examples are far worse, and reaction time alone doesn't tell the story.

Last edited:
So Babalu getting cut for holding his anaconda vs. David Heath was more about optics than actual injury to the opponent. .

he was cut because heath tapped and babalu put him to sleep anyways refusing to let go

Not trying to make excuses for Paul Harris, as I think he is a bit of a tool. However, I read that Maurillo Bustamante is who awarded him his black belt, and with Busta's history with the Lindland tap then denial there of, the academy was instructed to hold the submission after the tap and only release when the ref stops the fight. This then became the gym's mentality. I don't agree with him holding the subs as long as he does after the ref stops the fight, but it can at least give a bit of insight into why he holds as long as he does.

That happened in one fight...a long time ago. Paul Harris not only doesn't let go when his opponent taps, but cranks it even more. There's absolutely no excuse for that kind of malice.

he was cut because heath tapped and babalu put him to sleep anyways refusing to let go

I know. I'm saying what Palhares does with heel hooks and kimuras is far worse. Putting someone to sleep and even holding the sub for 1 or 2 seconds after the guy goes out doesn't permanently injure him.

I've been choked out many times, and so has anyone else who's trained Judo or BJJ, without getting brain damage. On the other hand, the effects of cranking any joint lock after it's sunk are well documented.

Palhares is the best, most exciting submission guy in the game. Hate the fact that he can't control himself, he will eventually be banned. Sucks.

I know. I'm saying what Palhares does with heel hooks and kimuras is far worse. Putting someone to sleep and even holding the sub for 1 or 2 seconds after the guy goes out doesn't permanently injure him.

I've been choked out many times, and so has anyone who's trained Judo or BJJ. The effects of cranking any joint lock after it's sunk are well documented.

yeah i get what you are sayin.

and also

I've been choked out many times,

tap bro

Idk, holding a sub for 1 second doesn't sound long. Royce Gracie, now he has a long hold.

Looks a lot better for you than being KOd, at least.

Such a waste of talent. Clearly one of the best in his division, but I really don't care to see him fight unless he's getting pummeled.

Idk, holding a sub for 1 second doesn't sound long. Royce Gracie, now he has a long hold.

Not that I condone it, but IIRC he started doing that because of Ken Shamrock lying about not tapping.

The guy is just dumb, people. I can't believe people sign up to fight him and then are upset when he holds subs long. What dum-dums.
4_medium.gif

Of course it doesn't "sound" long, but it is long, way too long and that idiot Pallharres should have already received a lifetime ban.

Hopefully now he finally gets suspended forever

yeah i get what you are sayin.

and also

tap bro

Lol, I've tapped out more times than I can remember.

But seriously, in Judo, the coach always told us never to tap to a choke in a tournament. As long as you're conscious, you can escape, and worst that can happen is you go out.

Armbars and kimuras, you tap as soon as you even THINK it's locked out. Unless you're Big Nog, Renzo or Tim Sylvia and your pride is more important than being able to fight again for the next 6 months.

Lol, I've tapped out more times than I can remember.

But seriously, in Judo, the coach always told us never to tap to a choke in a tournament. As long as you're conscious, you can escape, and worst that can happen is you go out.

no oil check? looks like you have a normal coach.

There was a coach at the high school were im from that taught "certain" kids the oil check. Was funny watching the kid say "no, the coach told us to because it make the person uncomfortable."

weirdly enough the coaches way to get the kids used to this technique was to apply it to them until they were comfortable enough in that situation

no charges were filed and 30 kids were harmed during the making of this wrestling coaches career

Last edited:
no oil check? looks like you have a normal coach.

There was a coach at the high school were im from that taught "certain" kids the oil check. Was funny watching the kid say "no, the coach told us to because it make the person uncomfortable."

weirdly enough the coaches way to get the kids used to this technique was to apply it to them until they were comfertable enough in that situation

no charges were filed and 30 kids were harmed during the making of this wrestling coaches career

Oh my, I'm really sorry that happened to you.

Ive said it once, Ive said it before; Palhares wants to be in the early, spectacel-fighting days, clearly MMA is the wrong sport for him, very strange that he gets licensed, at all.

Oh my, I'm really sorry that happened to you.

was never on the wrestling team, at the time i thought singlets were to gay and didnt make sense. I also hated the rules for wrestling and didnt think they made sense

my bung thanks me to this day

Interesting video.

A big part, though not all, of the difference between Lauzon's reaction time and Palhares is that once his opponent is tapping Lauzon is waiting for the ref and ready to let go.

Another key point is that Lauzon correctly treats a second like a very long time in the context of reaction times in sports. I think he called 1.4 seconds an eternity. Palhares fans saying a full second is a quick or immediate release is absurd.

all fighters should be waiting for the ref to tap them to let go. why is it that only palhares has this problem? he's dangerous, and he knows it.

i think he started holding on long after one of his early fights. he apparently had a sub and let go before the ref said the fight was over. after that, bustamante encouraged him to hold onto submissions until he was absolutely sure that the ref stopped the fight. i think that has been etched into his psyche.

Back