Lauzon analyzes Palhares' subs

Growing up with all the brazilian fake taps, he probably wanted the ref to damn near tackle him off before he lets go and the other guy pretends he didn't tap.

Saying a fighter let's go of a sub 1 second after the ref arrives sounds good. But anyone who has grappled knows that that second feels like forever and the extra movement during that critical time is what changes a pull to a tear on a joint

Also, not letting go when a fighter is tapping and waiting for the ref is perfectly fine and encouraged. BUT STOP FUCKING ADVANCING ON IT!!! Just hold it there steady, stop cranking, and then release when you know the ref is there to stop the fight and declare you winner.

Why would anyone ever accept a fight with Paul Harris

Hard not to like the Lauzon and his cold, hard facts here.

Paul Harris is a dick and deserves what he had received. Coming from a Murilo Bustamonte background, it really doesn't surprise me. He did a lot of the same stuff.

The extra time Palhares uses to release doesn't tell the whole story. I've seen it mentioned before, but Palhares doesn't just hold onto subs for too long. He actually cranks them when he feels ref hands. When a sub is in place you can hold it, release it, or torque/crank it and he torques it.

I wish Palhares would fight once more against someone with KO power to see a repeat of the Lombard fight, or better yet someone like Maia or Jacare at MW just to see him get subbed (preferably heel hooked until his acl snaps).

good video. It doesn't seem too long when broken down to .75+ seconds but im sure it seems a lot longer in real time when Paul Harris is cranking.

.75 seconds can be an eternity when there is a fully cranked submission. It could be the difference between you blowing out your shoulder, knee, or whatever is being cranked on.

The extra time Palhares uses to release doesn't tell the whole story. I've seen it mentioned before, but Palhares doesn't just hold onto subs for too long. He actually cranks them when he feels ref hands. When a sub is in place you can hold it, release it, or torque/crank it and he torques it.
You can see it, he gets off on hurting people.

Palhares-subs-Drwal.gif

palhares.gif

"I don't know what the deal is, but he's kind of a dick." Now that would be a great post signature. Or a great epitaph.

Good breakdown by Lauzon. I'd be interested to see the same kind of compilation and data for other submission artists, too - Fedor, Maia, Mir, Rousey, Fujii, etc.

I've only rolled a little bit but when I knew that I had someone locked down I wasn't cranking to hurt. I was cranking while waiting for the tap, I wasn't interested in hurting anyone, it's just not worth it. Palhares is going for the snap first, and then when the ref intervenes he stops, so he winds up with an extended time in the submission. He has no brain, dude is dangerous and shouldn't be allowed to compete.

You can see it, he gets off on hurting people.

palhares.gif

there is a slower version were you can see how the reff jumps in, and paul gives the extra crank. you can see in this gif but the slower 1 is painful to watch

there is a slower version were you can see how the reff jumps in, and paul gives the extra crank. you can see in this gif but the slower 1 is painful to watch
I just grabbed the first gifs I could find, but you can still see him crank just that little bit harder, even though the sub is a done deal. Kinda reminiscent of a White Belt trying to shark on someone who doesn't train.

Not trying to make excuses for Paul Harris, as I think he is a bit of a tool. However, I read that Maurillo Bustamante is who awarded him his black belt, and with Busta's history with the Lindland tap then denial there of, the academy was instructed to hold the submission after the tap and only release when the ref stops the fight. This then became the gym's mentality. I don't agree with him holding the subs as long as he does after the ref stops the fight, but it can at least give a bit of insight into why he holds as long as he does.

Yeah Bustamante has gone on record saying Palhares is basically a dick. Said he did it all the time in practice and hurt a lot of people. It became a big enough issue bustamante couldn't train him anymore.

Just watching all of what Palhares did makes me furious as a longtime MMA fan. I only saw something like that once and that was back in UFC #2 when that French guy bit Royces' ear and Royce held onto the RNC for about a second and a half.

there really is no for a breakdown of his idiocracy but lauzon is right and pretty much anyone with the ability to see through their eyes can see that palhares is unethical and reckless. good riddance if he can't follow the rulebook.
on another note: those gouges he was accused of are what i'd really like to see a recap of being i didn't watch the event.

I honestly don't think Palhares is all there mentally.

Just watching all of what Palhares did makes me furious as a longtime MMA fan. I only saw something like that once and that was back in UFC #2 when that French guy bit Royces' ear and Royce held onto the RNC for about a second and a half.
gerard gordeaux was a dick back in the ufc early days too. even though it was in another promotion his gouge that blinded yuki nakai was ridiculous.

Back