Late Starter

Pro**

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Can a boxer start from the age of 24 with no boxing experience at all and win titles or world titles? If so, what is the oldest you think a successful boxer can start his career?

Are there any notable champions that started late?

HW would be the only chance, because of the talent pool.
Unless the person is a freak athlete, he can win in the lighter weight classes.
Some guys like Tarver started pro late, but had amateur fights. I don't think that's what you meant though.

Highly unlikely at best. If you're freakishly quick 6'5 245 pounds you may have a chance but at just about every other weight class the years they put in the gym would redicliously difficult to overcome.

Can a boxer start from the age of 24 with no boxing experience at all and win titles or world titles? If so, what is the oldest you think a successful boxer can start his career?

Are there any notable champions that started late?

Bernard Hopkins turned pro at 23 but he boxed in jail for a while.

Marciano was pretty old too, maybe like 22.

Going way back, Jess Willard took it up around age 30, as did Jameel McCline and Tarver.

Nate Campbell.

IIRC he did a little bit of training when he was younger, but didn't seriously train or have his first amateur fight until he was 23 or 24. He used to work the night shift at a grocery store and would shadow box to help him stay awake. A co-worker who had boxed before said he looked good and should go to a gym, so he did. Kinda a cool story.

Lightweight world champ, and nearly made the US olympic team.

Best example I can think of is Bonecrusher Smith. Turned pro at age 28 after a few amateur fights. He was briefly the WBA heavyweight champ, and beat some good guys like Tim Witherspoon and Mike Weaver.

smithImage1.jpg

Ray Mercer didn't turn pro until he was 28, he won the olympic gold at 27. I don't think he laced up the gloves until he was at least 24.

Back