Lat pulldowns

What do you mean "big squatter?"

What are you asking? The leg press involves the quads, glutes, and hamstrings (if done deeply enough). The properly performed squat uses those muscles along with heavy lower back, upper back, and abs. So, saying that the leg press is better than the squat because you can do more weight doesn't make sense. At least, from the standpoint of getting stronger for athletic purposes. Sure, the leg press can be useful for bodybuilding, certain injuries, or ego-stroking, but since it involves nothing above the waist, it is a totally different exercise than the squat.

In other words, if your lower back is your weak point, you can leg press all you want, it won't help your squat.

So the logic that would say the leg press is superior to the squat because a person who can squat 185 pounds can load 500 on the leg press and rep it -- that logic is mistaken?

I trained for a six-month period at night with no spotter. I used dumbbells because I wouldn't be found in the morning with one across my neck. My gains were very nice, unexpectedly for me, because I had the same mistaken assumption you have here. I am sure, however, that they would have been even better with the addition of the barbell bench. Variety is key.

Yes, for strength in the barbell bench press, the best training movement is... barbell bench press, makes total sense. For training the muscles worked by the bench press, the best movement is not one movement, but a variety of them.

What mistaken assumption? If you want to get better and stronger at benching, the barbell bench press is your main exercise.

Use whatever you want, including DB benching, as assistance.

Then
smith machine bench press = even more weight
what abot that logic?

A Smith machine bench press is not a bench press. It is a Smith machine bench press.

Solve that one?

Leg press would beat squats too, with that logic.

You can't be serious here.

So the logic that would say the leg press is superior to the squat because I person who can squat 185 pounds can load 500 on the leg press and rep it -- that logic is mistaken?

I guess it depends on your goals and perspective. If you want to get stronger for sports or PLing or life in general, squats are superior. If you want to isolate your legs for whatever reason or have a back injury, leg press can definitely have it's place. I don't really understand what you are trying to say.

If you want to get better and stronger at benching, the barbell bench press is your main exercise.

Use whatever you want, including DB benching as assistance.

Why is not the other way around? Can anybody from powerlifting loby please tell me.

You can't be serious here.

You said:

Barbell = more weight used = stronger.

More weight used = better results for strength.

I know plenty of people who can squat 185 but they can leg press 500 for reps.

Does that work for your formula?

Leg press = more weight used = stronger?

You said it. Back it up.

No, the leg press is not superior to the squat because ***gots who can't properly squat 200 lbs will load every plate in the gym on the leg press and do reps with a <5 inch ROM.

Proper, full squats > Shitty, small ROM leg press.

You don't understand the difference between the leg press and a squat?

I guess it depends on your goals and perspective. If you want to get stronger for sports or PLing or life in general, squats are superior. If you want to isolate your legs for whatever reason or have a back injury, leg press can definitely have it's place. I don't really understand what you are trying to say.

You jumped into this as we were discussing a logical mistake made by another poster - one that said that the ability to use more weight in an exercise makes it a better exercise. Read the thread.

No, the leg press is not superior to the squat because ***gots who can't properly squat 200 lbs will load every plate in the gym on the leg press and do reps with a <5 inch ROM.

Proper, full squats > Shitty, small ROM leg press.

You don't understand the difference between the leg press and a squat?

You're the one who said more weight used = better exercise. Now you disagree with your own logic?

You jumped into this as we were discussing a logical mistake made by another poster - one that said that the ability to use more weight in an exercise makes it a better exercise. Read the thread.

And you said leg press > squat. I felt the need to jump in because that statement doesn't make sense.

The original comparison was between free weight bench press variations. Barbell and dumbbell. I said barbell was superior as a main movement because it allows more weight to be used, which would lead to better strength gains.

You start comparing the leg press and squats using the same model I used to compare two very similar bench press variations.

Comparing the squat to the leg press is comparing apples to oranges.

And you said leg press > squat. I felt the need to jump in because that statement doesn't make sense.

No dude. He said IF the busted statement is true THEN leg press>squat.

You're the one who said more weight used = better exercise. Now you disagree with your own logic?

No, I said the barbell bench press was a better main movement than the dumbell bench press, because it will allow to use more weight.

Then you start comparing the squat to the leg press, which is fucking retarded.

No dude. He said IF the busted statement is true THEN leg press>squat.

Right, but the leg press and squat are totally different. So even if the original statement was true, leg press > squat still doesn't make sense.

danceparty.gif

The original comparison was between free weight bench press variations. Barbell and dumbbell. I said barbell was superior as a main movement because it allows more weight to be used, which would lead to better strength gains.

You start comparing the leg press and squats using the same model I used to compare two very similar bench press variations.

Comparing the squat to the leg press is comparing apples to oranges.

Stabilizing dumbbells on the bench is tough. You could say a guy that can do big weight with dumbbells is displaying a more impressive feat of real strength than a big barbell bencher.

Barbell bench press and dumbbell bench press produce similar strength gains. If you measure those gains with barbell bench, the specific training of the barbell bench movement will help to bring that number up, but it doesn't mean the person is stronger.

I've made serious gains doing only dumbbell bench. What would have been better would have been both, but that wasn't available. The discussion is about having people not subtract movements from their "menu" or "arsenal" in the gym due to some kind of "that's not the best exercise" bias. To say that dumbbell presses are inferior to barbell ones is debatable, but I hope you agree that there's no need to pick "the best" and then eliminate the other.

How is that wrong? If your goal in the gym is to get stronger, and the barbell bench press allows you to use significantly more weight, then it is, in fact, a superior exercise to focus on to help you achieve your goals.

Main movement: Barbell bench press.
Possible assistance movement: DB bench press.

I am now thoroughly convinced you are an idiot.

How is that wrong? If your goal in the gym is to get stronger, and the barbell bench press allows you to use significantly more weight, then it is, in fact, a superior exercise to help you achieve your goals.

So your sole criteria for judging an exercise is how much weight it can be performed with, versus similar movements?

You can also mico load on a bench, but not with dumbells. This is important for continuing to develop a progressive overload.

Back