Media Last Word : Joel Suprenant breaks down Askren-Lawler

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by flowoftruth, Mar 14, 2019 at 12:15 PM.

1. flowoftruth

flowoftruth Purple Belt

Askren fans were going crazy on him in the comments but i thought it was a pretty fair analysis.
    Starts around 18:30.

2. Dirge

Dirge Red Belt

Setting aside that Lawler has an all state honors in wrestling (Iowa) but this guy saying Robbie has never won a wresting match...

Chael had a much more even minded approach to the fight. Is this Joel guy a Dana white plant? Fucker had no clue what the choke was even called...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 12:23 PM
  3. Bend NvR Break

Bend NvR Break Standing still is actually moving back

Chael's breakdown is better

4. Final Say

Final Say So Icey Belt

chael didnt take into account that the fight wasnt stopped because lawler's arm fell, though.

so his take was actually a little bit inaccurate

2004 account likes this.
  5. Bend NvR Break

Bend NvR Break Standing still is actually moving back

The other guy is too emotional for me. Like he lost some cash.

Lasse Stefanz, Gmork and svmr_db like this.
  6. Ryeboi

Ryeboi Blue Belt

To everyone that's NEVER grappled...

There are two things you do naturally to defend a choke:
    1. Put your chin down to your chest.
    2. Pull the attacker's arm from around your neck.

When you see an arm drop to the floor...which is NOT a defensive maneuver and typically associated with passing out, it's natural to assume the choke worked.

Getting choked out is NOT like an ON or OFF button with only two stages. The longer you lose oxygen the worse the consequences. There are many stages from being fine to being dead. You can lose enough oxygen to feel "out of it" momentarily, lose enough oxygen to pass out for a split second, get choked out and go limp for several seconds, get choked so bad some of your organs begin to die, and of course never wake up again.

It depends on the person's body, how much energy they were expending, how tight the choke was and how long the choke was applied...

Robbie lost enough oxygen for his arm to drop to the canvas. That's all I needed to see.

7. fightfan84

fightfan84 Silver Belt

the problem is there is angles of Robbie moving his hand to reposition himself as soon as his arm fell, clearly not unconscious. Also that's not when herb stopped the fight, that's when herb checked his consciousness, and Robbie passed with flying colors.

Sorry dude, long post and you are still wrong

8. flowoftruth

flowoftruth Purple Belt

Thumb was up - he was perfectly stable on the break - end of story. dont care about anything else.

Mmmmmmma1234 likes this.
  9. Dutch Rudder

Dutch Rudder Pimp Belt

Wait...lose oxygen?

BarryDillon likes this.
  10. VVarhead

VVarhead Bullet Belt

I completely agree with him, but seeing as fans are almost 50/50 on this fight and on this stoppage:
    Why the fuck are people saying no to a rematch?

Oh yeah, Askren fans are scared of it, and Askren wants none of that rematch.

Mmmmmmma1234 likes this.
  11. Davey Crockett

Davey Crockett Mane, Firmino, Salah

12. true_fan

true_fan Black Belt

Because next time he will dieded for sure! He can’t survive this kind off assault twice

mkt likes this.
  13. wearetheromans

wearetheromans Yellow Card Yellow Card

Suprenantendo chalmers

Davey Crockett likes this.
  14. Dirge

Dirge Red Belt

If Askren was scared, why did he take the fight in the first place? Sorry but that makes no sense. Also Lawler is now 1-3 in his last four with his only win coming over Cerrone, a guy that has spent most of his career as a top 15 guy in the LW division.

He wants to win the UFC belt and then retire. He is already set financially and wants to get to the belt in as linear a path as possible. Till is ranked and assuming he beats Masvidal, Askren beating him would give him two wins over top 10 opponents and a good case for a title shot.

After all Till only had one top 10 win (Barely) before getting his title shot.

15. MileHigher

MileHigher AKA Mile-Hybrid

I can’t stand that fucking guy. I don’t understand why Chael keeps him around.

lweiberg likes this.
  16. VVarhead

VVarhead Bullet Belt

Nowhere did I say that Askren is scared. I said his fans are scared for him and he doesn't want none of the rematch for whatever reason (I didn't specify).
    I don't think fighters are scared to fight, usually.

I think Askren knows he loses the rematch, that doesn't mean he's scared to fight Robbie.
    And yeah, Till was a manufactured shitty UFC-hypetrain and anyone with a little bit of MMA insight knew that Tyron would dismantle him. Also didn't deserve the shot. A pathetic attempt by the UFC to create Conor 2.0.

ViddyWellLilBro likes this.
  17. Ryeboi

Ryeboi Blue Belt

I get it. you're confused b/c robbie recovered so quickly.

you can go in and out. it's happened to me before. No one would have known I was out from a poor technique head & arm choke if I hadn't asked everyone how long I was out for. Everyone thought I defended and just stood back up when the timer rang.

I've seen people just get dizzy for a split 2nd and get back up.

Like I said, many different stages of losing oxygen.

When you arm goes limp and the ref has to check up on you - You are not passing with flying colors.

Watch the 2nd camera angle:

Robbie's arm has already gone limp once without defending the choke. This camera angle is showing what happens when Herb goes to check up on Robbie. Herb lifts Robbie's arm easily, there is no resistance or defense of the choke.

And when herb lets go of Robbie's arm, it retracts without any strength and circles down first ...before coming back up to give a thumbs up.

But by then it's too late b/c Dean is already looking towards Askren to pull him off and signal an end to the fight.

The time to thumbs up is the FIRST time the ref touches you. Not after he's already telling Askren to let go. Sure it's confusing b/c Robbie was winning and Robbie recovered so quickly. That's just because robbie was in shape and he was ready to go for a few more rounds. Still got choked.

Take it from a guy who was sitting front row.

Nevada State Athletic Commission executive director Bob Bennett joined the post-fight press conference event to discuss the incident and how he thought Dean performed. "In this particular question with the bulldog choke on Robbie, you could see it right in front of us that when Herb picked up his hand, his hand just dropped,” Bennett said. “It just dropped, which would be indicative of him being out. And then [Dean] went ahead and grabbed his hand again and it came up a little and it moved ever so slightly. There was no doubt in our mind that he was out.
    https://www.mmamania.com/2019/3/3/1...235-controversy-robbie-lawler-was-clearly-out

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 1:32 PM
    mon and BarryDillon like this.
  18. Dirge

Dirge Red Belt

What you said is valid and maybe Lawler does beat Askren in a rematch but beating Lawler again doesn't get Askren any closer to a title shot. Let's say he fights Lawler again and wins, Lawler is now 1-4 in his last 5. How does he make a case for a title shot with a win like that?

Till is a joke but he is 17-1 (18-1 if he beats Masvidal) and that looks good when marketing PPV events.

Welterweight is really short on known high profile fighters currently. Askren can't fight Woodley. Covington is lined up to fight Usman, RDA is 3-4 in his last 7 and has now lost 2 in a row and Wonderboy is 1-2-1 in his last 4.

If Till wins, he is the only fight that can get Askren a title shot.

VVarhead likes this.
  19. VVarhead

VVarhead Bullet Belt

Also valid complaint, I personally wanna see the rematch but I acknowledge all the reasons of why the rematch is stupid. But damn, I just wanna see it.
    It feels like the hardcore MMA fanbase is pretty much 50/50 on this issue, no idea how the UFC should proceed.

Lots of Welterweight will soon be shaken up when prospects like Ismail Naurdiev or established great fighters like Elizeu Zaleski finally get their opportunity to crash into the (stale) WW Top 10.

20. Ryeboi

Ryeboi Blue Belt

blood carries oxygen to the brain