Last night showed me that refs are influenced by UFC hype.

i thought the stoppage was a bit quick but some factors

-siever was offering nothing all fight
-he got dropped
-he turtled and didnt move
-he was mounted and shots were coming down hard and fast

thats a lot different than a guy wrestling someone down, passing to full mount, and getting through a few shots while others were blocked. in that case the fighter deserves more of a chance

also when you compare it to brock it wasnt a case of brock being beaten up for over a round first. he got hit, backed up, and went under the barrage and pressure. brock kept moving. brock was not mounted. totally different circumstances

the interesting thing is that we know brocks stoppage would have been bad. brock worked his way back to his feet all on his own by the end of the round. after seeing siever not get flashed knocked down but taking a beating for over a round, being dropped, and turtling in full mount, are we going to assume he had a way out or that he wasnt looking for a way out. thats a really big stretch

do i think herb could have waited til one or two more shots got through? yeah for sure but i dont think this stoppage was controversial. i actually think stopping the schaub fight with a few seconds left in the round was a bad stoppage. he had a way out.

Siver was intelligently defending himself. He had his hands up and no shots were getting through. I am not sure why people are on here defending Herb Dean?

Some people say that Siver "wanted out" - just lol at that statement. he could have tapped if that was the case.

Hendo - Bisping was early too TS. Ref only let Hendo land 1 follow-up shot before stepping in. Bisping was defending intelligently, using the statue guard to ignore the GnP.

Had to bump this motherfucker tonight after that ridiculous Hendo stoppage where Hendo got less than zero time to recover but Gus got endless opportunities to recover even when he was turtled up and getting blasted.

It is 100% true. There are several pretty clear examples but tonight was as crystal clear as it gets. They were going to give the hometown boy Gus every opportunity in the world to recover. He was flopping around like a fish, didn't thrown a punch for over a minute and did nothing but get punched in different parts of his face from different angles until Rumble spun his fucking head so far around that Gus was practically looking at his own spine... that fight was going to go until Gus recovered or Rumble damn near took Gus' head off, which he did.

In closing

Hendo, American fighting a Dutch fighter- Stopped via knockdown. Hendo was improving position, working for a takedown and never turned his back or turtled.

Gus, local fighter and hero of Swedish combat sports- Took 30 power shots before the stoppage after being face down having been dropped twice, head kicked, and thoroughly demolished.

Refs are influenced. Maybe some more than others, but they are influenced.

ps- another excellent example is Kimbo vs James Thompson- Kimbo took literally dozens of unanswered shots on the ground, didn't throw anything in return just got punched in the head for an eternity, then while standing Kimbo lands a strike that doesn't even knock Thompson down and the ref waves off the fight. (You can thank Dan Miragliatta for that gem) In case you didn't know Kimbo was EliteXCs golden goose, clear favoritism.

Back