Last night showed me that refs are influenced by UFC hype.

It seemed like he was quick to stop the fight .. but ehhh... Siver was done so I can see the justification

Obviously I'm a Conor fan but i also thought it was stopped too early. I never liked herb dean as a ref. I think he is extremely over rated. Nothing but early stoppages with him.

Siver just endured about 5 minutes of getting punched and kicked in the face by a trained fighter. I'm pretty sure it had more to do with saving the dude from brain damage.

As soon as Siver was dropped Herb was hovering over them like he was going to stop it if McGregor threw any punches at all.

Conversely we see UFC cash cows like Brock take nasty beatings where there face is profusely bleeding for like 4 minutes, but Siver basically took like 1 clean elbow from mount and it was stopped.

I used to like to think that the refs were unbiased and tried to be objective about the fights, but I don't think so anymore. Had it been McGregor on the other side of things, I think Herb would have let that round finish.

Oh well. I'm not a McGregor hater or a fan (and neither of those of Aldo either), just an observation.

I really see your point. And perhaps it was a bit early. But on the other hand Siver didnt belong in that octagon and didnt do Anything from his back other than covering his face. That is not really the idea of a fight.

Herb saved Siver. The thing that influenced the stoppage was the fact that Siver was getting beat up for the entire fight. In a vacuum the stoppage could be considered somewhat early, but in context it was just.

I dont really think any of his shots got thru on the ground but Siver was done. No question.

oh and she was so rocked by them, right? lil baby rabbit punches. Not even 3, Daddy Herb was coming to stop it before she even started to throw the punches. She was in the process of getting up. She was in no danger of getting finished, at all. THE BRUTALITY!

This is a title fight, let the fighters fight. They've trained their whole careers for that one moment, let them follow it through and reach it's natural conclusion.

ronda-rousey-beat-sara-mcmann-a.gif

No danger of getting finished? Come on, man. Ronda could have done whatever she wanted to McMann there. She could have just kept tossing knee's to the body like they were one two for one special at Walmart, it isn't like McMann was in any position to stop her. I like the gif that shows a few shots to the head, but not the knee that obliterated McMann's guts, took her off her feet, and put her in a fetal position in a title fight. Was it a quick stoppage? Maybe it was. But the fact of the matter is when you go down like McMann did from a single strike, generally the fight is over.

Ronda_Rousey_vs._Sara_McMann_2.gif

I'll just leave this here.

remove conor's balls and read the OP.

he said as soon as he dropped herb was hovering to stop fight. we are not talking about the actual early stoppage.

reading comprehension

Lol that's what refs are supposed to do when one fighter, who's been getting his face turned into hamburger for the last 6+ minutes, gets dropped by a punch and gives up mount in about two seconds, and then just lays there waiting for the fight to be waived off. I don't even like Connor, but there was nothing wrong with Herb "hovering there" after he got dropped after getting lit up by that left hand for over a round.

And five shots to the dome immediately after the knee......

Negative ghost rider!!! As soon as Herb told her to defend herself she started to get up and he immediately stopped it. Was a BS stoppage live and BS after I watched it several times. Completely agree that Herb was influenced by who the fighters were (Rousey and Conor) in both stoppages. Siver was done I'll give you that, but McMann was and is the biggest threat to Rousey and no one ( Dana and Co.) wanted that fight to go any further.

So what about when Kongo was getting his face pounded and was basically KO'd 3 different times and was given every chance to recover before knocking out Pat Barry. What's the conspiracy theory behind that?

I don't ever remember Barry sitting in Kongo's mount to finish him off while a ref tells Kongo something the equivalent of "move or I'm stopping it". What about the time Joe Warren got knocked out about 20 times in 30 seconds against the cage? Are we really going to play the retroactive revisionist history game like any one fight sets a precedence for any other fight? Don't be stupid.

Negative ghost rider!!! As soon as Herb told her to defend herself she started to get up and he immediately stopped it. Was a BS stoppage live and BS after I watched it several times. Completely agree that Herb was influenced by who the fighters were (Rousey and Conor) in both stoppages. Siver was done I'll give you that, but McMann was and is the biggest threat to Rousey and no one ( Dana and Co.) wanted that fight to go any further.

Yeah because McMann was doing so well before getting dropped by that knee.:rolleyes:

All I am saying is it is a title fight, people trained their whole careers for that - they might not ever see it again. Let them fight. If they are gonna get finished, let them get finished. At least give them the chance to work out of it. Do I think Rousey would have won, regardless? Yes! But at least do it where there is no doubt to be had. Give those people a chance to do what they've trained for. They are at the top of the division, they've earned that.

This is a great stoppage. Sara has her hands on the mat, and is very clearly done. The fight wouldn't have been stopped if her hands were instead covering her face.

It's a horrible stoppage, there's no need to defend it

All I am saying is it is a title fight, people trained their whole careers for that - they might not ever see it again. Let them fight. If they are gonna get finished, let them get finished. At least give them the chance to work out of it. Do I think Rousey would have won, regardless? Yes! But at least do it where there is no doubt to be had. Give those people a chance to do what they've trained for. They are at the top of the division, they've earned that.

And she was given a chance to work until she fell into the fetal position clutching her body with one hand, and posting the other one on the mat, which left no arms, hands, fingers, or anything else to defend herself. Were those finishing punches? No, but they didn't need to be when one fighter isn't defending themselves. What if she had a broken rib that punctured a lung? Time becomes a factor. Seeing someone drop the way she did, and be in so much pain that she no longer cares about defending her head from follow up strikes while she's on her hands and knees is more telling of whether she was done or not than a supposed early stoppage does.

I didn't think there was anything wrong with the stoppage..
Though, it is Herb Dean, and I have little faith in his officiating.

Back