Last big hw fight beat down before fury/wilder 2

revoltub

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
What was the last big beat down in a heavyweight championship fight before fury wilder 2?

Vitali vs Arreola? That's the biggest ass whooping I can think of and before that? Idk what do you guys think.

I believe you can argue that Fury vs wilder 2 is the most one sided fight at hw in over 20 years

Tyson vs Lewis was probably worse than Fury/Wilder.

There’s been several. Off the top of my head.

W. Klitschko-Byrd 2
W. Klitschko-Sanders
V. Klitschko-Sanders

Ruiz was a mandatory yes but he brought nothing to the table. Lewis decided to drop a belt and take on Grant his perceived biggest threat (not named Tyson) instead. Not really a duck in my book. I’d argue that much of Ruiz’s career success is a result of Lewis not fighting him. The hugmaster would’ve been beaten down and faded into obscurity again.

Last edited:
Not on the same level, but Wlad vs Pulev. Pulev was seen as a legit top 5, if not top 3 guy and Wlad beat him down with his lead hook.

He fought Holyfield in 99 twice. I have a hard time saying someone ducked someone when they fought someone better instead. All Ruiz was at the time was a guy that got airtime whenever David Tua fought as promo in his highlight reel.

Vitali Klitschko vs Shannon Briggs was hard to watch.
Thats probably the best example actually.
shannon-briggs-in-hospital-2.jpg

Lewis-Grant was a pretty one sided beatdown

I remember Wlad really beating up Chris Byrd. But I think Vitali-Briggs was after that

Joyce vs Stiverne ,.

Stiverne went to congratulate him in his dressing room and he was all lumped up with welts on his head he hid under a towel .

What was the last big beat down in a heavyweight championship fight before fury wilder 2?

Vitali vs Arreola? That's the biggest ass whooping I can think of and before that? Idk what do you guys think.

I believe you can argue that Fury vs wilder 2 is the most one sided fight at hw in over 20 years
Have you all forgot Ruiz vs Joshua 1. Was for 3 belts and Joshua got destroyed.

Have you all forgot Ruiz vs Joshua 1. Was for 3 belts and Joshua got destroyed.

Joshua was definitely well beaten but fury absolutely battered wilder. Personally I’d say wilder took much more of a beating than Joshua did.

Back