LASIK or PRK

I got PRK specifically so I could continue to train. The only real advantage of LASIK over PRK is the reduced healing time since the flap covers the traumatized area of the cornea while it heals. PRK resurfaces the cornea on the surface, so the traumatized area is exposed and takes longer to heal. I was told that with LASIK, I would be back at work in 2 days, with PRK it would take up to 2 weeks. The first 2 days with PRK were pretty miserable, but with proper preparations, supplements, painkillers and sleeping pills, they passed pretty quickly. I took a week off from work, but I could've been back in about 4 or 5 days.

How's your vision now as compared to before?

Sweet Av btw.

How's your vision now as compared to before?

Sweet Av btw.

My eyes before were in the 20/250 range, couldn't see shit without glasses or contacts.

Now I have 20/20 in one eye and 20/15 in the other.

That would be so awesome. I look forward to hearing from you!

My bad. Seems I was mistaken. The guy at my gym at LASEK and I got confused. Apparently LASEK is better and where I'm at, doctors rarely recommend LASIK nowadays. But my gym mate said it took him about 6 months for the eye to fully heal so he couldn't spar until then. The doc told him to not even do strenuous exercise but he ignored that still trained, just didn't spar.

I've been in doubt about laser eye surgery for years, since I'm a muay thai teacher. I've read a lot about risks and complications with flaps and contact sports.

I had decided for Lasek/PRK until I found out about a new procedure called SMILE.

They basically create a small incision, not a whole flap, and laser the tissue underneath the top layer of your eye. This softens and they pull it out through the incision.

Advantages:
- no flap, just a small incision
- less dry eyes
- faster recovery than lasek
- sight is equally good as LASIK and lasek.

It's not available everywhere. I live in the Netherlands, but there are no clinics where this technique is being used yet. In Belgium, Germany and Denmark there are and I will probably undergo the surgery in Denmark.

My bad. Seems I was mistaken. The guy at my gym at LASEK and I got confused. Apparently LASEK is better and where I'm at, doctors rarely recommend LASIK nowadays. But my gym mate said it took him about 6 months for the eye to fully heal so he couldn't spar until then. The doc told him to not even do strenuous exercise but he ignored that still trained, just didn't spar.
That depends on the individual.
After my LASEK session I couldn't train at all for around 3 weeks after, was back doing padwork after 4 weeks and was back sparring after about 2 and a half months (with the optometrists ok of course). I think it was my 10 week check-up where I got the call clear to "carry on as normal, even hard sparring/fighting".
So it's not a standardised thing.
I got intralase as well (so don't seem effected by night blindness / halo's), the only thing is I occasionally get dry eyes (surgery 6-7 months ago) but that only really happens when:
1 - I've been working for a while (I sit pretty much below an air-con which blows in my face the whole day)
2 - I've had a serious lack of sleep (e.g. gone to bed at 4am playing on my console and woken up at 7)
Apart from that they're fine. And the place I went to gives you a lifetime supply of eye drops (artificial tears they call them) which work a charm when my eyes are dry anyway (I usually carry a pack with me in my work case).
As of my 16 week check-up I had 20/15 sight in both eyes, have my 8 month check up coming in the not too distant future so interested to see if that's changed (I've got a couple of black eyes since then)

I've been in doubt about laser eye surgery for years, since I'm a muay thai teacher. I've read a lot about risks and complications with flaps and contact sports.

I had decided for Lasek/PRK until I found out about a new procedure called SMILE.

They basically create a small incision, not a whole flap, and laser the tissue underneath the top layer of your eye. This softens and they pull it out through the incision.

Advantages:
- no flap, just a small incision
- less dry eyes
- faster recovery than lasek
- sight is equally good as LASIK and lasek.

It's not available everywhere. I live in the Netherlands, but there are no clinics where this technique is being used yet. In Belgium, Germany and Denmark there are and I will probably undergo the surgery in Denmark.
Interesting, I've not heard of that.
Although the incision is still a structural weakness of the eye. IMO I'd still go for LASEK given the choice, yes the recovery is longer but your eyes heal completely with no structural weaknesses (it's like you never got surgery at all).

Sounds like my only option is the kumite:icon_cry2

Or you can get a letter from the doctor who did the operation which states that the chance of the flap coming loose is negligible and show it to the ring doctor before the fight

So I told my LASIK doctor that I wanted to have PRK done. He said that he would need for me to take off my contacts for two weeks. Has anyone had to do this as well?

So I told my LASIK doctor that I wanted to have PRK done. He said that he would need for me to take off my contacts for two weeks. Has anyone had to do this as well?

You must have soft contacts. I had hard and had to take them off for 6 weeks to get rid of the imprint on my eyes.

Look into ICL surgery (especially you guys with really bad eyesight). Less healing time and better results. I had ICL done 2 years ago and I have no regrets.

Last edited:
Back