LASIK or PRK

jrock89

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So I have had incredibly shitty eye sight for the past 10 years and its time for LASIK or PRK but I don't know which one to do. I have heard PRK is more for people that undergo contact sports but the doctor I talked to today told me to do LASIK. Honestly he sounded super unenthusiastic and lazy when we talked and to me it sounded like he only recommended LASIK b/c it was easier for him. Other clinics I have called around told me to do PRK. My only concern is how many days am I going to miss training. I am trying to get ready for Worlds and maybe undergo MMA during the fall and don't want to much down time. Can anyone give any recommendations?

I chose LASIK over 4 years ago. The amount of tramma directly to the eye that it would take to tear the flap, would severely damage anyone's eye. Or at least that's what my Dr. Believes. I've had no trouble btw. I train bjj and some Muay Thai. Good luck, it will change your life!

I did PRK longer recovery process which sucks (no sweat in eyes for a week, no contact to eyes for a month). But there is zero risk with the flap. While yes it would take a lot of trauma to damage the flap, knowing my luck I'd have it. Btw with PRK they put these hard contacts in your eyes for 4 days for the healing process. The 3rd night my eyes got completely dried out and it was the worst feeling ever. I thought someone was taking an ice pick to both eyes, thank God they give you Rx pain killer drops.

All I'll say is I had LASIK and it's fucking great. Best money I've ever spent.

All I'll say is I had LASIK and it's fucking great. Best money I've ever spent.

Same here. Lasik is fricking awesome. I have never had the slightest problem, and have boxed and grappled for years after getting the surgery.

Was looking into LASIK earlier and kept running into people not recommending it for contact sports participants. Glad to hear it's not as big of an issue anymore, as it always seemed a lot nicer an option (in cost, recovery time and procedure), but the potential for the flap coming loose was always something that concerned me.

I'd suppose for a professional, PRK would be the safer choice, but for the average person, either would suffice.

Had Lasik 7 months ago, and was boxing probably a month after I had it done, mostly bag work and light contact.

They do say that it can take months for the eye to properly heal, 4 months or more, so you still have to be careful. But as others have said, it's pretty amazing. I have 20/15 vision now in both eyes.

The worst part for me was right after the procedure, my one eye felt like it had a severe scratch and was tearing up so bad I couldn't see anything. I didn't take any painkillers post-op and once I had a nap, it was fine. Eyes were a bit dry for a couple of weeks, but that's about it.

There is now LASEK, that combines the best of the two.

I had LASIK 3mo ago. no issues on the mat.

my doc trains BJJ and some striking, he had LASIK and recommended it to me knowing that i train BJJ.

he said a pro fighter with repeated blows to the head should probably opt for PRK, but for us mere mortals LASIK is fine.

it was some of the best money i have ever spent. went from terrible nearsightedness to 20/15 in both eyes.

Seems like LASIK would be safe for grappling sports such as BJJ or wrestling but kick boxing and boxing would concern me. I plan to pursue striking arts and was wondering if anyone that strikes at a decent level had LASIK? I get my contact popped often during BJJ and boxing and wondering if that is enough trauma to open up the flap.

Seems like LASIK would be safe for grappling sports such as BJJ or wrestling but kick boxing and boxing would concern me. I plan to pursue striking arts and was wondering if anyone that strikes at a decent level had LASIK? I get my contact popped often during BJJ and boxing and wondering if that is enough trauma to open up the flap.

No way. I'm more concerned about taking a thumb to the eye with mma gloves (happens pretty easily) but even then, if you let the flap heal like you are supposed to, it should be fine. This is how my Dr. Explained it to me and I've sparred regularly for years and have had no issues.

I would opt Lasik, just for the easier recovery process.

Will you have to be smart in your recovery? Yes. But after 6 months, the risk of injury to the flap is no different than what you had prior. (meaning your eye would have been fucked either way).

My instructor had Lasik about 3 weeks ago. He is back on the mats, teaching and flow rolling with safety goggles on (think rec-specs or racquet ball glasses). No chokes, cross faces, etc- basically no contact shoulders up. He has about 3-5 more weeks of that.

I had it 3 years ago, and have done some decent striking / grappling, and never had a concern. I was a little extra safe and wore racqet ball glasses for about 6 months and had no striking to the head during that time.

Either way- as long as you stay on top of your drop schedule and follow up care, you will fricking love the results- contacts suck for grappling.

LASIK best money ever spent.

I'd give up tournaments/worlds/mma fight for a year for it.

Luckily you don't have to, just be easy for awhile and you will be fine.

Back