Lasik eye surgery.... Time out?

Shit so that person just went blind?

Not sure. I could never find this exact patients follow up report. But their vision definitely did no improve and corneal material was removed that will never comeback.

THIS IS NOT THE NORM though so atleast sleep easy knowing that. Just know the risk and do what you have to do my friend.

Until I decide on a surgery I have been looking into ortho-k/crtlenses that you wear at night, then when you wake up you take them out and your vision

Until I decide on a surgery I have been looking into ortho-k/crtlenses that you wear at night, then when you wake up you take them out and your vision

Thanks for the info my man. You may have saved my eyes. Apparently, although PRK is more painful, there is less risk. I might just wait 5 years for better technology or look into those contacts in your link.

Damn, I was scheduled to go see about getting it done. Glad this thread popped up. I'll stick with my glasses for now!

Damn, I was scheduled to go see about getting it done. Glad this thread popped up. I'll stick with my glasses for now!

Me too. Maybe this is fear mongering stuff but look at these:

Lasik Surgery Can Result in Worse Vision and Never-Ending Pain

LASIK Complications - Top Ten Reasons Not to Have LASIK

I can't find ANYof these type of websites for PRK. There are dozens for LASIK. I might be a making a fuss, by my doctor told me AFTER I told her I do MMA (I exaggerated) STILL pushed the LASIK on me. It may be only a very small chance something bad would happen, but the stories of people who have 20/20 or better vision being called success stories when they can't drive at night or have double/blurred vision upsets me. If I hadn't come here to ask, I would have just gone in, assuming that there was only a ".032" chance that any complication could happen.

Like I said, these websites could be made by fear mongering people or for profit, but how would someone have any financial gain from telling someone NOT to spend a couple thousand dollars.

EDIT: I dunno tho. Just like with rehab's low success rates, the people that do good don't go back, therefore don't get counted in the statistic. When something bad happens to someone, they tend to be the most vocal about it.

Last edited:
Me too. Maybe this is fear mongering stuff but look at these:

Lasik Surgery Can Result in Worse Vision and Never-Ending Pain

LASIK Complications - Top Ten Reasons Not to Have LASIK

I can't find ANYof these type of websites for PRK. There are dozens for LASIK. I might be a making a fuss, by my doctor told me AFTER I told her I do MMA (I exaggerated) STILL pushed the LASIK on me. It may be only a very small chance something bad would happen, but the stories of people who have 20/20 or better vision being called success stories when they can't drive at night or have double/blurred vision upsets me. If I hadn't come here to ask, I would have just gone in, assuming that there was only a ".032" chance that any complication could happen.

Like I said, these websites could be made by fear mongering people or for profit, but how would someone have any financial gain from telling someone NOT to spend a couple thousand dollars.

EDIT: I dunno tho. Just like with rehab's low success rates, the people that do good don't go back, therefore don't get counted in the statistic. When something bad happens to someone, they tend to be the most vocal about it.

You might try a non-permanent option like Orth-K lenses first and see how it works for you. Like I've said, I've had glasses since I was 5 years old...I run about a -4.25 in both eyes, so I am fairly blind, I cannot operate without glasses or contacts. I only grapple and sleep without glasses or contacts. The rest of my life is hindered by them..

But, I still have not elected for surgery. Sure there is a small likelihood of negative effects, but what happens if you just happen to fall in that likelihood? You live with it forever. So that is why I am waiting.

I am also looking into getting Orthokeratology lenses and researching the Visian ICL all the time, looks promising.

...and have been rolling ever since three times a week. I have been poked in the eye numerous times. From what I understand, the more time that passes, the stronger your eye gets. The type of force required to dislodge the flap after a few months would likely injure your eye any way. An eye poke isn't going to do it.

The surgery changed my life. I recommend it to everyone, just be sure to use a doctor who has been doing the surgeries a long time.

My wife and I had our eyes corrected at the same time. I opted for PRK, she went for LASIK. She was driving within 2 days, complaining about a little pain -- but really, essentially pain free. I was basically lying / sitting in a dark room, with a few T3s for about a week.

Both of us were at 20/20 on our first examinations. My eyes felt relatively normal by two weeks, at which point I was back at the gym, no problem. I think it was a week before i could work or drive again after the surgery. For the first six months or so there was a little haloing when driving at night, the eyes felt dry, and I was told to wear sunglasses every time I was outside. Which I sometimes did. For me, it would have been difficult to spend 8 hours a day at a computer for the first couple of weeks.

Now, my eyes don't feel any different from before the surgery (+2 years), although I notice occasionally if I'm really dehydrated that the vision gets a little blurred.

A decision like this is about evaluating risk. The risk of complications from either PRK or LASIK is really low. You can probably find a bunch of decent articles about this on pubmed. Lots and lots of procedures have been performed. If people were going blind in large numbers then (i) it would be all over the news, (ii) less people would have the surgery, and (iii) it would probably become illegal to perform. However, there are real risks, as some of the links have shown. You've just got to decide at what point does a risk become worthwhile, for something that's essentially a vanity surgery, is it 1 in 100, 1 in 1,000, 1 in 10,000, etc. ? How does it compare to the risks of everyday activities, like driving a motor vehicle, or crossing the road? Are you willing to accept the risk for the perceived benefit of the surgery.

I'm pretty happy with the decision I made to have PRK. I'm also sure there's many grapplers out there that have had LASIK, and have not and will not have any problems.

My wife and I had our eyes corrected at the same time. I opted for PRK, she went for LASIK. She was driving within 2 days, complaining about a little pain -- but really, essentially pain free. I was basically lying / sitting in a dark room, with a few T3s for about a week.

Both of us were at 20/20 on our first examinations. My eyes felt relatively normal by two weeks, at which point I was back at the gym, no problem. I think it was a week before i could work or drive again after the surgery. For the first six months or so there was a little haloing when driving at night, the eyes felt dry, and I was told to wear sunglasses every time I was outside. Which I sometimes did. For me, it would have been difficult to spend 8 hours a day at a computer for the first couple of weeks.

Now, my eyes don't feel any different from before the surgery (+2 years), although I notice occasionally if I'm really dehydrated that the vision gets a little blurred.

A decision like this is about evaluating risk. The risk of complications from either PRK or LASIK is really low. You can probably find a bunch of decent articles about this on pubmed. Lots and lots of procedures have been performed. If people were going blind in large numbers then (i) it would be all over the news, (ii) less people would have the surgery, and (iii) it would probably become illegal to perform. However, there are real risks, as some of the links have shown. You've just got to decide at what point does a risk become worthwhile, for something that's essentially a vanity surgery, is it 1 in 100, 1 in 1,000, 1 in 10,000, etc. ? How does it compare to the risks of everyday activities, like driving a motor vehicle, or crossing the road? Are you willing to accept the risk for the perceived benefit of the surgery.

I'm pretty happy with the decision I made to have PRK. I'm also sure there's many grapplers out there that have had LASIK, and have not and will not have any problems.

I talked to my doctor in person, went with PRK due to my level of activity. Due to the unpredictable nature of the severity and the time of recovery for PRK, I am going to postpone it until my birthday, 12/10, in order to be able to have more recovery time before starting school in early January. I started school Yesterday, and IF I can't drive or see the board at school, I would have to leave this semester, and my timeline for finishing college next spring will not allow me that luxury.

Thanks for a fair and well balanced post.

Decision made, everyone is happy! :icon_chee

I talked to my doctor in person, went with PRK due to my level of activity. Due to the unpredictable nature of the severity and the time of recovery for PRK, I am going to postpone it until my birthday, 12/10, in order to be able to have more recovery time before starting school in early January. I started school Yesterday, and IF I can't drive or see the board at school, I would have to leave this semester, and my timeline for finishing college next spring will not allow me that luxury.

Thanks for a fair and well balanced post.

Decision made, everyone is happy! :icon_chee

Awesome, let us know how it goes. I've also been thinking about it for a few years. I've been wearing daily disposable contacts for BJJ and I'd say I get one knocked out once every 3-4 training sessions (I need to stop getting cross-faced in bottom side so much...)

Getting my contacts knocked out really made me start thinking about the whole LASIK-corneal-flap-not-healing-all-the-way deal.

Awesome, let us know how it goes. I've also been thinking about it for a few years. I've been wearing daily disposable contacts for BJJ and I'd say I get one knocked out once every 3-4 training sessions (I need to stop getting cross-faced in bottom side so much...)

Getting my contacts knocked out really made me start thinking about the whole LASIK-corneal-flap-not-healing-all-the-way deal.

On the other hand, when I saw the doc someone less than 2 weeks into LASIK was in there after being kicked in the face by a fucking horse of all things, and their flap was completely secure. Make sure you have a doctor with KIDS, that you trust. Just do your research and go with your gut. If you can get a doc that has done LASIK on one of their kids, even better. People that are in control of your safety are usually more trustworthy if they have children. If they're willing to do a procedure on their kids, you are probably in good hands, no matter what surgery you go with. Good luck!

Plus the PRK doesn't actually take a blade to your eye, just a laser... even though the recovery time appears to be a week-10 days instead of a day or two.

Not true. Actually, you can have Lasik without a metal blade (I did) to your eye. They used a laser to cut the flap on my eye, though cost about $80 per eye extra.

PRK on the other hand, while I guess they technically don't use a 'blade', they have to scrape the epithelial layer off your cornea. That IMO is worse than a metal blade!

I completely did a 180!

I had Custom LASIK done 4 hours ago. Wasn't painful, but wasn't the most comfortable thing either. Immediately after sitting up I could see MUCH better, although everything looked like it was underwater. I napped for 3 hours because of the Valium They had to give me like 45-50 mgs because of my high tolerance for medicine, especially painkillers and benzos. Right now, after waking, there's no mormal foggy/underwater look, and I don't QUITE feel 20/20 yet, maybe 20/30, but after a good night's sleep I should be even better.

No double vision, halos, ghosting. We'll see tonight if I have any starbursts, but this lady did it to her own daughter and husband, so I think she was being honest when she said it went well.

The ONLY side effects are that my eyes feel scratchy, and my eyes seem a little more sensitive to the sun than yesterday. But who knows? That could go away too.

I can run after 1 week, lift after 2. Do BJJ after 4-6. MMA would need to be 2-3 months.

Good for you! Welcome to the club.

I actually went outside today without my sunglasses and immediately thought "This is all Drew's fault" hahaha

Good for you! Welcome to the club.

I actually went outside today without my sunglasses and immediately thought "This is all Drew's fault" hahaha

LOL. You saying I made you notice it? Or will that go away. Tonight I actually feel like 75% normal. Amazing! I'm so happy.

LOL. You saying I made you notice it? Or will that go away. Tonight I actually feel like 75% normal. Amazing! I'm so happy.

haha no I just needed a scapegoat. It was actually tequila's fault I didn't have my sunglasses, but I just lashed out haha.

The one thing I didn't mention before- Since I wore glasses, never contacts, I wasn't used to keeping my eyes hydrated. Drops, once a day at least, are a must. Keep them lasered babies moist!

haha no I just needed a scapegoat. It was actually tequila's fault I didn't have my sunglasses, but I just lashed out haha.

The one thing I didn't mention before- Since I wore glasses, never contacts, I wasn't used to keeping my eyes hydrated. Drops, once a day at least, are a must. Keep them lasered babies moist!

Yeah I never wore contacts either. Hopefully it isn't miserable if you forget eyedrops one day here or there?

No no, not that bad. I've gone weeks without it. It's just good to be as careful as you can.

Back