Lasik eye surgery.... Time out?

I see some rings around the moon, streetlights, etc. Its kind of cool, actually. My night vision has improved dramatically.
I never thought about wearing sunglasses before. Now, if I forget them, its painfully obvious.
Watching HD gives me some halo and strange depth perception, for the first couple seconds. It's weird, but not a big deal.

Wait, you can't go outside without sunglasses after PRK ever?

I had to wear sunglasses for like 5 days because my eyes were so sensitive to the light. From what I recall, no damage occurs if you don't wear the sunglasses, your eyes are just EXTREMELY sensitive so I don't think you will not want to wear the sunglasses. I only had a little bit of pain like an hour after the surgery. I took a tylenol3 and I didn't have any pain after that. I did have to take a lot of eye drops though. Since your eyes are covered for a couple days, no oxygen gets to them, thus your eyes are very dry and itchy. and I think there are some eye drops so your eyes dont get infected or something.

from what I understand it is supposed to fix your night vision, but sometimes it doesn't fix it for some reason. for example, I sometimes have a little bit of an issue at night if its raining, but its really not that big of a deal. getting the PRK was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I highly recommend it.

Edit- not sure if its been said yet, but when you get the PRK, your eye sight starts out worse and then gets better over a course of 3 months or so whereas the LASIK is like 20/20 or better right away.

No oxygen gets to them? So you have to keep them both covered? For how long? I'm confused...

So short term effects (PRK) vs long term lasting effects (LASIK).

Seems like a pretty easy decision for me, unless you have no patience.

Not really though. The chances of your cornea coming off after LASIK if you've taken the proper amount of time to rest is VERY small. With PRK it seems I have to worry about halos and bright light, etc.

No oxygen gets to them? So you have to keep them both covered? For how long? I'm confused...

well, i have my eyes covered with some sort of plastic that was taped over my eye and then sunglasses over that for the first 3-5 days. so no oxygen gets to your eyes for that period. sorry if I wasn't clear.

well, i have my eyes covered with some sort of plastic that was taped over my eye and then sunglasses over that for the first 3-5 days. so no oxygen gets to your eyes for that period. sorry if I wasn't clear.

So you were basically blind for 5 days?

I've been hearing great things about Visian ICL, but they are still too new for any combat sports research it appears. No flap. Pretty wicked looking surgery...apparently it is nearly impossible to dislodge, you would have to have some severe damage to your eyeball to cause it to move out of place.

Not for the squeamish. :)

I've been hearing great things about Visian ICL, but they are still too new for any combat sports research it appears. No flap. Pretty wicked looking surgery...apparently it is nearly impossible to dislodge, you would have to have some severe damage to your eyeball to cause it to move out of place.

Not for the squeamish. :)

Yeah, I'm too sqeamish to even look at that right there. Jesus.... LOL

So you were basically blind for 5 days?

essentially, yes. I remember that I sat in my basement with those plastic things taped over my eyes, sunglasses on and my eyes closed and I couldnt have any lights on near me. My eyes would hurt if someone turned on the light in the room (or even the room next to it). My eyes were very sensitive.

I had PRK done about a year ago. I opted for PRK over LASIK because at the time I wanted to box afterwards. From what I understand PRK has more pain/discomfort initially. Sunglasses are an absolute must for a few months afterwards. I do still see some halos but I don't even notice anymore. The fact that I can wake up being able to see without having to put contacts in or worry about them falling out while doing any physical activity is more than worth it to me.

The process itself takes only a few minutes. It's all the paperwork and shit that takes a while.

First they numb the shit out of your eyes. Then, they take this thing that reminds me of a dentist's cleaning tool, the dremel thing, similar to the one he uses for the dreaded drill but they have a small brush on the end. They use that on your eye. I'm sure it hurts like a bitch but since you're so numb the only thing you feel is pressure on the rest of your eye from it being pressed down. After flushing they use the laser, which to you just looks like flashing light. It usually lasts less than 30 seconds. Afterwards they flushed my eye again with what felt like subzero ice water. Then they do the other eye. After that, you go home and pop some painkillers and sleep.

I've had it done and it was one of the best things I've ever done for myself. The flap starts healing instantly and is pretty sealed in 2-3 weeks. On a follow up visit to my doctor after three weeks, he said it 98% healed. I started drilling after three weeks with nothing live. I started running again after a week. I started live rolling with trusted, non spastic partners after 5 weeks. I'd suggest those athletic glasses for extra protection. I didn't have them.

My lasik procedure was in the morning. I was finished at 10am. I popped a valium given to me. When I got home, I chugged 3 beers and passed out for about 6 hours. My eyes were pouring out with tears while I was sleeping and I got a pillow soaked. I woke up fine. I kept my house dark for that night. The next morning everything was fine. I wore the sunglasses outside,but I wasn't that sensitive, more for protection. I've heard different people have different reactions.

I've had it done and it was one of the best things I've ever done for myself. The flap starts healing instantly and is pretty sealed in 2-3 weeks. On a follow up visit to my doctor after three weeks, he said it 98% healed. I started drilling after three weeks with nothing live. I started running again after a week. I started live rolling with trusted, non spastic partners after 5 weeks. I'd suggest those athletic glasses for extra protection. I didn't have them.

My lasik procedure was in the morning. I was finished at 10am. I popped a valium given to me. When I got home, I chugged 3 beers and passed out for about 6 hours. My eyes were pouring out with tears while I was sleeping and I got a pillow soaked. I woke up fine. I kept my house dark for that night. The next morning everything was fine. I wore the sunglasses outside,but I wasn't that sensitive, more for protection. I've heard different people have different reactions.

Thank you! After research, talking to you wonderful people, and my doctor over the phone, I've decided to stick with the original plan of LASIK, with 2 months off training just to be safe.

I've researched it for years, and mostly I have waited for the technology to improve..which it is..all the time. However...

It is 100% true that the flap never truly heals. This has been verified by numerous research reports and I have even asked a doctor straight out and he stumbled about before he admitted it to be true. Either way it is not easily displaced but there is always a risk. The flap is held by a small amount of scar tissue and a sort of epithelial glue comprised of glycosaminoglycans.

Not intended to scare, just some research findings.

LASIK-Flap • View topic - The cornea does not heal after LASIK

Second, apparently those who undergo the procedure have a high suicide rate since some patients actually go blind afterwords. Make sure you do some reading before you go through and do it.

hahaha no, my eyes do not melt when exposed to the sun. They are just more sensitive in general.

I have halos around lights at night already from astigmatism. :) yay!

Back