Lasik eye surgery.... Time out?

Drew Foster

Silver Belt
Reaction score
I'm getting it this week. Anyone had it? How long did you have to take a break from training? Thanks in advance!

I've wanted lasik for ages. I have had glasses since I was 5 and I'm sick of them..and contacts...

A guy at my gym just got it done..he took a few weeks off..and came back wearing these for the remainder of his healing time...

Ski-1goggle.jpg

I've wanted lasik for ages. I have had glasses since I was 5 and I'm sick of them..and contacts...

A guy at my gym just got it done..he took a few weeks off..and came back wearing these for the remainder of his healing time...

Ski-1goggle.jpg

I'm guessing you don't remember how long he had to wear them...

I'm gonna ask the doc, but I can't talk ti her till weds.

I'm getting it this week. Anyone had it? How long did you have to take a break from training? Thanks in advance!

I would take it easy. It's your eyes and the procedure is pretty expensive.

IIRC my friend said that you couldn't get punched/elbowed in the eye or have a baseball or basketball hit the eye after the surgery because the cornea is weaker or something. Not sure for how long that is though.

I would take it easy. It's your eyes and the procedure is pretty expensive.

IIRC my friend said that you couldn't get punched/elbowed in the eye or have a baseball or basketball hit the eye after the surgery because the cornea is weaker or something. Not sure for how long that is though.

I've researched it for years, and mostly I have waited for the technology to improve..which it is..all the time. However...

It is 100% true that the flap never truly heals. This has been verified by numerous research reports and I have even asked a doctor straight out and he stumbled about before he admitted it to be true. Either way it is not easily displaced but there is always a risk. The flap is held by a small amount of scar tissue and a sort of epithelial glue comprised of glycosaminoglycans.

Not intended to scare, just some research findings.

LASIK-Flap • View topic - The cornea does not heal after LASIK

Shit, I'm scared after doing some google searches...

I heard ORK was good for contact sports, but they say it's more painful (I could care less about that), but worth it.

But there are at least 3 people that say PRK has left them with permanently dry eyes, and they barely produce tears!

Others say LASIK never heals completely, and you could lose your cornea anytime forever.

others say LASIK is the best thing they've ever done, and they're back to grappling in 3months.

I'm calling my doctor ASAP!

I've researched it for years, and mostly I have waited for the technology to improve..which it is..all the time. However...

It is 100% true that the flap never truly heals. This has been verified by numerous research reports and I have even asked a doctor straight out and he stumbled about before he admitted it to be true. Either way it is not easily displaced but there is always a risk. The flap is held by a small amount of scar tissue and a sort of epithelial glue comprised of glycosaminoglycans.

Not intended to scare, just some research findings.

LASIK-Flap • View topic - The cornea does not heal after LASIK

Thank you! Also, is it a rumor that extreme altitudes or depths at sea after LASIK can make your eye explode?

I'm not planning on being on a submarine or climbing Everest or being a Navy SEAL anytime soon. Just curious.

I tried to convince my doctor I wanted PRK and they said that type of correction is only for certain things..do you have any astigmatism..etc? Those types of things are all factors to what type of surgery works best...

Sean Gannon and a few other fighters on the UG rave about PRK..since there is no flap..and instead the cornea surface is flattened and such...I would say not to let all the horror stories scare you right off...but do your research. And remember, the doctors have an agenda. They have vested interest in your decision to get surgery.

Thank you! Also, is it a rumor that extreme altitudes or depths at sea after LASIK can make your eye explode?

I'm not planning on being on a submarine or climbing Everest or being a Navy SEAL anytime soon. Just curious.

A doctor weighs in here on that situation..

Flying After Lasik - AskLasikDocs

post #2

It

I tried to convince my doctor I wanted PRK and they said that type of correction is only for certain things..do you have any astigmatism..etc? Those types of things are all factors to what type of surgery works best...

Sean Gannon and a few other fighters on the UG rave about PRK..since there is no flap..and instead the cornea surface is flattened and such...I would say not to let all the horror stories scare you right off...but do your research. And remember, the doctors have an agenda. They have vested interest in your decision to get surgery.

I know, that's what freaks me out is their vested interest, and I'm on the books for Friday...... Time to get to work I guess. I mean what is the doc gonna do? Tell me, "oh you should sit this one out...." Yeah right.

Then again, I grappled wth 2 people tonight that both have had LASIK and one of them even does MMA.

Yes, I have astigmatism and they told me I was a much better cnadidate for LASIK over PRK, even though I mentioned my ex was very active and has PRK done due to her very thin corneas.

I haven't had the procedure, but I had considered it for a while. Went to one of the top guys in Manhattan. He stressed that given the nature of my lifestyle (i.e. BJJ matrat), I would be at a real risk of later injury with LASIK. PRK/PRT was the way to go, although the healing process was a bit more unpleasant (akin to having a corneal abrasion -- of which I've had several). Make sure you get a second opinion before you go through with it.

To that point, I would suggest making sure the opinion you get is from a doctor who typically does both LASIK and PRK procedures. Some apparently do mostly or only LASIK and therefore might have a bias. Good luck!

I haven't had the procedure, but I had considered it for a while. Went to one of the top guys in Manhattan. He stressed that given the nature of my lifestyle (i.e. BJJ matrat), I would be at a real risk of later injury with LASIK. PRK/PRT was the way to go, although the healing process was a bit more unpleasant (akin to having a corneal abrasion -- of which I've had several). Make sure you get a second opinion before you go through with it.

To that point, I would suggest making sure the opinion you get is from a doctor who typically does both LASIK and PRK procedures. Some apparently do mostly or only LASIK and therefore might have a bias. Good luck!

Thanks, my doc does both. She mostly does LASIK, but she doesn't get a lot of combat athletes. I'm gonna ask her about PRK tomorrow. I definitely want to train for life, and the idea of a corneal flap only held on by scar tissue is scaring the living shit out of me right now. Plus the PRK doesn't actually take a blade to your eye, just a laser... even though the recovery time appears to be a week-10 days instead of a day or two.

Yes, I have astigmatism and they told me I was a much better cnadidate for LASIK over PRK, even though I mentioned my ex was very active and has PRK done due to her very thin corneas.

Turner Eye Institute Recommendation.

Turner Eye Institute Blog Blog Archive Sports, Soccer, LASIK, Mixed Martial Arts, Football, Boxing

Boxing, Kick Boxing, Mixed Martial Arts

Combat sports (such as boxing, kick boxing, and mixed martial arts) are very popular in California, particularly Northern California and San Jose. Many people might wonder if participation in combat sports is safe with LASIK. These same people feel that contact lenses and glasses are not appropriate for their sport and often cause them to struggle during competition. How often have fighters in boxing, kick boxing, or mixed martial arts lost a contact lens in the middle of a fight?

LASIK is generally not recommended, however, for participation in these sports. The flap created during LASIK has been shown to be extremely durable but there is the concern that a violent blow could tear the flap from its location. While this isn

Add me to the list of huge PRK fans. Going on 3 years now. I do muay thai, gi, no-gi, wrestling. Taken a few accidental pokes in the eyes. No problems. Absolutely fantastic. As BH says in the post above, it's one of the best things you can do for yourself.

One more for the bandwagon. Had PRK x 2 years ago. Was back training in less than 2 weeks, despite some minor complications. Went from an 8.0 prescription to 20/20 in one eye, 20/40 in the other.

I had PRK, and didn't roll for a month. Better safe than sorry. Plus sometimes a break can be good.

Back