Larry Merchant on MMA

I don't think the MMA and boxing fanbases overlap as much as others assume. It's an altogether different product. I would theorize that more MMA fans are grown-up pro wrestling fans.

The diversity in movesets, the cohesive marketing, the monthly PPV's, the merchandising, and the favorite-fighter mentality are all very similar between MMA and pro wrestling.

Well, that definitely describes me; although I was (and still am to a much smaller degree) a boxing fan and I do still watch the occasional puroresu match (no WWE shit though unless it's an old school Dean Malenko match on youtube :cool:)

old people in general dont care for change
they resist it
im sure we will be the same
old people dont learn/develope new languages, technology, fashion sense...
many use the same perfumes as in the sixties
its just the trend with old people
stagnation
and merchant is old
ofcourse he blames young people

After reading the responses in this thread, all I'm getting out of this is that MMA fans are really, really insecure and that TS never met Larry Merchant.

NI still remember the Razor's Edge being outlawed because we thought it was too dangerous to perform on each other.

My parents outlawed the Razors edge after I broke my brothers bed in half with him, lol.

After reading the responses in this thread, all I'm getting out of this is that MMA fans are really, really insecure and that TS never met Larry Merchant.

Same here, but more like sherdoggers are insecure. I like merchant. If you can't watch a boxing match and listen to the commentary that's your problem. Kellerman reminds me of a huge rat, I want to put some raw bacon in a rat trap then be done with him.

Now that I think about it lampley and the Diaz bros should get together since they smoke weed, they can compare and contrast boxing vs mma.

And also that if boxing didn't have the standing 8 count, rocky balboa would have never become the heavyweight champion of the world.

if he was 20 years younger he'da kicked yer ass

So the basic sentiment from the crotchety old, drunkard, boxing-representative is that MMA fans are essentially less sophisticated?

Love boxing, but never really cared for Larry.

To the TS that's cool. About what you're saying yes Merchant is right, Boxing fans are generally more educated than MMA fans.

Back