Larry Donald

XThe GreatestX

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
One of the more interesting Heavyweights that didn't pan out. Literally would fight exactly like Ali (just with less talent) with the dancing on his toes and stuff.

the legendary sucker punch at the press conference from Riddick Bowe before their fight

And then the fight itself was also pretty weird. Donald tried his best to fit like Muhammad Ali but it didn't really work here

Last edited:
good chin to take those punches pre-fight, kind of an odd fighter, i think he beat the touted jeremy williams who was another prospect at the time.

He did the mobility part pretty good... He forgot about the punching part.

Not just during the fight, but also during the press conference. He wasn't a savage... Ali would have swung back if Riddick tried to sucker punch him. And I doubt that Riddick would even landed the sucker punch, because Ali was always in full control and would have anticipated it.

Donald had excellent skills & a very good chin. What he lacked was a mean streak. He had some decent pop in his punches when he'd set down on his shots but he rarely did it. He was more often than not content to just box his way to a points win.

I thought they put him in with Bowe too soon & I never forgave Bowe for that unprovoked slap. That was some bullying bullshit & I hate bullies. But to his credit, the Bowe loss didn't seem to affect Donald too badly as he rebounded with an impressive winning streak until he lost to Kirk Johnson. Then not long after that, he suffered the only inside the distance loss of his career when Vitali Klitschko stopped him in ten rounds.

The highlight of his career happened next though when he thoroughly outboxed Evander Holyfield a year later. That should have led to bigger & better things but he followed it up with a dismal performance that ended in a draw with Ray Austin. Which derailed all the progress he'd made with the Holyfield win. It was filled by two losses. One to Nikolay Valuev in a fight that he should have won but the fight was in Europe & he lost a majority decision. I think that took all the remaining desire that he had from him as in his next fight he just went through the motions in getting shut out by Alexander Povetkin. After which he retired.

All things considered though, he did all right in compiling a record of 42-5-3 (24 KOs ). It's just a shame that he lost most of his biggest fights & was never able to turn that Holyfield victory into anything.

I thought they put him in with Bowe too soon & I never forgave Bowe for that unprovoked slap. That was some bullying bullshit & I hate bullies..

What goes around comes around. Golota used Bowe's privates as a punching bag on two different ocassions.

Dereck Chisora was also doing slapping and spiting in peoples faces until David Haye decapitated him with a one-two.

Last edited:
What goes around comes around. Golota used Bowe's privates as a punching bag on two different osscassions.

Dereck Chisora was also doing slapping and spiting in peoples faces until David Haye decapitated him with a one-two.

Didn't Haye also bottle him at a presser? Can't remember exactly.

One of the more interesting Heavyweights that didn't pan out. Literally would fight exactly like Ali (just with less talent) with the dancing on his toes and stuff.

the legendary sucker punch at the press conference from Riddick Bowe before their fight

And then the fight itself was also pretty weird. Donald tried his best to fit like Muhammad Ali but it didn't really work here

bowe was a coward and a piece of shit for that

I'm not sure how much his Holyfield victory was worth. Holyfield was a fading force by then and fucked up with shoulder injuries.

It was still a good win and he was a solid fighter but Evander on his worst day in his prime would have fucked him up. He caught a fading ATG on his way down and lost to Valuev.

The same Valuev who three years later barely squeaked a decision over an ancient Evander once he wasn't injured.

He was a solid heavyweight who got a win over Holyfield who was a very old, one armed and spotty fighter at that point who some jurisdictions refused to license.

Don't think it would ever pan out. Solid HW contender who got lucky fighting an old Holyfield imo. Not much more to it.

He is coaching now? Seems like he would be a valuable guy in your gym and your corner.

Didn't Haye also bottle him at a presser? Can't remember exactly.

I was talking about the presser. Haye cracked him with a left elbow followed by a right hook. I don't see a bottle here...

It was about time someone brought Chisora back to planet earth.

Donald had excellent skills & a very good chin. What he lacked was a mean streak. He had some decent pop in his punches when he'd set down on his shots but he rarely did it. He was more often than not content to just box his way to a points win.

I thought they put him in with Bowe too soon & I never forgave Bowe for that unprovoked slap. That was some bullying bullshit & I hate bullies. But to his credit, the Bowe loss didn't seem to affect Donald too badly as he rebounded with an impressive winning streak until he lost to Kirk Johnson. Then not long after that, he suffered the only inside the distance loss of his career when Vitali Klitschko stopped him in ten rounds.

The highlight of his career happened next though when he thoroughly outboxed Evander Holyfield a year later. That should have led to bigger & better things but he followed it up with a dismal performance that ended in a draw with Ray Austin. Which derailed all the progress he'd made with the Holyfield win. It was filled by two losses. One to Nikolay Valuev in a fight that he should have won but the fight was in Europe & he lost a majority decision. I think that took all the remaining desire that he had from him as in his next fight he just went through the motions in getting shut out by Alexander Povetkin. After which he retired.

All things considered though, he did all right in compiling a record of 42-5-3 (24 KOs ). It's just a shame that he lost most of his biggest fights & was never able to turn that Holyfield victory into anything.
I feel bad for Larry after losing to Bowe and having a Draw in his next fight, he went on a long win streak and still couldn't secure another title shot, he was very good, its a shame he was one of those talents who needed to demand something its why they say a closed mouth don't get fed, Larry was too nice and quiet he should have started demanding a title shot.

I feel bad for Larry after losing to Bowe and having a Draw in his next fight, he went on a long win streak and still couldn't secure another title shot, he was very good, its a shame he was one of those talents who needed to demand something its why they say a closed mouth don't get fed, Larry was too nice and quiet he should have started demanding a title shot.

Yeah, he just wasn't that type of individual. He was almost too mild-mannered to be a fighter.

You could really see it on his face when Bowe hit him. He looked legitimately hurt ( his feelings, I mean ) by the incident. I was never a Bowe fan before that ( he treated me OK when I met him while working a fight card in Buffalo but I got an arrogant vibe from him ) but afterward, I just hated him. I was happy on both occasions when Golota drove his balls up through his throat. LOL.

Yeah, he just wasn't that type of individual. He was almost too mild-mannered to be a fighter.

You could really see it on his face when Bowe hit him. He looked legitimately hurt ( his feelings, I mean ) by the incident. I was never a Bowe fan before that ( he treated me OK when I met him while working a fight card in Buffalo but I got an arrogant vibe from him ) but afterward, I just hated him. I was happy on both occasions when Golota drove his balls up through his throat. LOL.

Yeah Donald is a nice guy for real, the way he reacted was like shock and hurt, a guy from the streets with a mean streak will retaliate with fury, he just ate it and didn't even instinctual fight back.

Man Bowe ducking Lennox Lewis was funny, in boxing you hear people claim so and so was ducking, but this was a straight up BLATANT duck, he feared Lennox he even cried saying I thought we was cool or friends when Lennox was talking trash to his face.

Bowe then tosses his WBC in the trash lol

Bowe continues talking shit on Lennox, yet bowe ducked him.

Look at Bowe trying to get at Lennox here talking trash years after both being retired lol all talk Bowe

Imagine if Arlovski took those shots.

xqMJ58.gif

I was talking about the presser. Haye cracked him with a left elbow followed by a right hook. I don't see a bottle here...

It was about time someone brought Chisora back to planet earth.

Complete dick for sure.

I think Haye had a bottle in his right hand during the scuffle, hence all the liquid flying everywhere.

article-2103251-11CE5021000005DC-58_634x433.jpg

Chisora and Haye faces are gold in this pic.

hayereu_2151726b.jpg

good chin to take those punches pre-fight, kind of an odd fighter, i think he beat the touted jeremy williams who was another prospect at the time.
Those shots were so fucking loud and he just ate em, lol. Good beard on ole Larry there, no doubt. Bowe was a fucking nut.

Those shots were so fucking loud and he just ate em, lol. Good beard on ole Larry there, no doubt. Bowe was a fucking nut.
really was, no gloves, and bowe is lucky neither was injured, it's easy to break your hand like that. I liked bowe but he sure had a way of just either being in bad situations or creating them. The media hated Rock Newman and gave him some credit for the chaos surrounding bowe. Kind of a split personality, Larry Merchant thought he was a lovable character and good for the sport in contrast to the much darker Mike Tyson. But then he goes and does shit like this and the asinine pulling a knife on his wife and kidnapping her. He still seems easygoing in interviews. In one, he jokingly challenges Evander to a fight, Evander doesn't even take it seriously at all and talks down to Bowe like a little kid.

Back