Economy Large hospitals doing massive lay-offs, cutting positions, and even going out of business.

Amerikuracana

Life allows the illusion of relativity
Banned
Reaction score
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/n...Xq1tLaI4Pf9Z6wMYQ-XiD11goZx2Sko3dv-fl8v_g78Ko

Another one in Detroit simply closed. I believe lay-offs and closures at hospitals are nationwide, as well.

So allegedly the ventilators needed are now available, but you can correct me if I'm wrong on that. That was done pretty quickly in the face of claims that this was the disaster of the whole situation, not having enough ventilators.

Another one was that the hospitals were going to be over-stressed and not be handle the influx of C-19 patients. New York itself may be in its own category, respectively, but Detroit-land area was in the top 5 of places hit, and it appears that there would definitely be enough staff, and enough space available to handle this situation. Please don't make (typical) 10 steps behind me comments about "This guys doesn't know the difference between the ICU and other units" because predictable stupid answers I'm way ahead of are getting annoying for me around here. It's not THAT hard to convert other units into ICU like units, especially when the problem that causes the need for expansion generally requires similar or the same technology; o2 delivery and full-on ventilators along with some other basics could prepare other units to be appropriate "ICU's" for this particular outbreak.

So does it say anything that in the face of this medical crisis that one of the hardest hit areas now has too many medical professionals and too much space in hospitals? Should hospitals be able to segregate areas better to keep C-19 from spreading throughout, or is this thing just completely air-born? What does this say?

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/oakland-county/2020/04/21/beaumont-lay-off-ne

So does it say anything that in the face of this medical crisis that one of the hardest hit areas now has too many medical professionals and too much space in hospitals? Should hospitals be able to segregate areas better to keep C-19 from spreading throughout, or is this thing just completely air-born? What does this say?

It says the majority they are laying off is administrative staff. Not doctors and nurses.

Californians should feel safe knowing that caring for illegals has forced the closure of nearly 100 hospitals over the past few decades. Illegals get "free" treatment at any ER and can't be turned away. Expensive!

The loss of revenue is the result of reductions in all non-Covid related visits. Hospitals rely on performing surgeries, having diagnostic visits, and emergency visits for income. Right now that has come to a halt, so they are simply providing care for many people while losing out on big sources of income.

“However, the shelter-in-place order and community concerns about the virus have led to significant reductions in emergency center visits, non-essential surgeries and diagnostic services. We believe these reductions will continue well into the second quarter and negatively impact financial performance in a significant way.”
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/n...-quarter-loss-covid-19-takes-toll/2986606001/

Stay at home orders are preventing non-essential surgeries and emergency visits. My friend is a brain surgery nurse, and she's now treating Covid patients because many brain surgeries have been postponed.

It says the majority they are laying off is administrative staff. Not doctors and nurses.
In this case that is true, but those are still jobs in the medical industry, and other hospitals from other areas I have read about are laying off Doctors and nurses as well.

Edit: Plus an entire hospital in Detroit closed down.

The loss of revenue is the result of reductions in all non-Covid related visits. Hospitals rely on performing surgeries, having diagnostic visits, and emergency visits for income. Right now that has come to a halt, so they are simply providing care for many people while losing out on big sources of income.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/n...-quarter-loss-covid-19-takes-toll/2986606001/

Stay at home orders are preventing non-essential surgeries My friend is a brain surgeon nurse, and she's now treating Covid patients because many brain surgeries have been postponed.
Yes I understand that, but should hospitals have been able to separate units enough to keep other units at some level of operation? Isn't there a study from Europe that says that as many (or more) people will die because of the other care not available as from C-19? Doesn't that really defeat the purpose of absolutely everything we have done if true? I don't think that would be the case here, btw, but I think less access to healthcare will end up killing a lot of AT-RISK people.... Like C-19.

Who will man the tents and mobile stations when the big wave hits in 2 weeks?

No. I'm trying to figure out the best ways to move forward.
I think the best way to move forward is to stop giving the virus new hosts, and pretending it doesn't exist, or that preventative measures do nothing because everybody spreads everything around anyways, and it's inconvenient to my fun plans that I shouldn't go to the beach.

Yes I understand that, but should hospitals have been able to separate units enough to keep other units at some level of operation? Isn't there a study from Europe that says that as many (or more) people will die because of the other care not available as from C-19? Doesn't that really defeat the purpose of absolutely everything we have done if true? I don't think that would be the case here, btw, but I think less access to healthcare will end up killing a lot of AT-RISK people.... Like C-19.

I would hope that's not the case, but I have not seen that study. When a medical procedure is deemed not essential, that means that the person should not suffer a long term consequence by not having access to that service. If the person's well-being is seriously at risk, it would be considered essential.

I don't think the layoffs are a result of a failure to adequately divide and protect their space. The layoffs are a result of not making hundreds of millions of dollars from performing non-essential services due to government orders. If the hospitals were free to perform all non-essential services then they would be making more money, but it would draw resources away from Covid patients and increase the likelihood of transmission in and around those hospitals.

It's all a trade off. It's difficult to measure where the appropriate lines are because we're learning as we go.

It doesn't say that the majority of the layoffs are administrative staff. It says:

"Beaumont officials said the 2,475 employees being temporary laid off are mostly hospital administrative staff and others who are not directly caring for patients with or without COVID-19."

That is a very broad category and includes a lot of both out-patient & in-patient nurses and providers.

They should be laying off all the nurses doing stupid tik tok videos while on the job.

i didn't say that you lied. you posted a link in your OP that only documented admin staff being cut, not the doctors and nurses, and that was pointed out by the first responses, to which you said that there's other articles stating what you essentially wanted to point out. i was simply asking for those articles, and you provided them.

They should be laying off all the nurses doing stupid tik tok videos while on the job.
The ones that held up the signs saying "Stay home so we can make the virus disappear" were even more offensive to me, because misinformation from those deemed "heroes" is the most dangerous kind.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/n...Xq1tLaI4Pf9Z6wMYQ-XiD11goZx2Sko3dv-fl8v_g78Ko

Another one in Detroit simply closed. I believe lay-offs and closures at hospitals are nationwide, as well.

So allegedly the ventilators needed are now available, but you can correct me if I'm wrong on that. That was done pretty quickly in the face of claims that this was the disaster of the whole situation, not having enough ventilators.

Another one was that the hospitals were going to be over-stressed and not be handle the influx of C-19 patients. New York itself may be in its own category, respectively, but Detroit-land area was in the top 5 of places hit, and it appears that there would definitely be enough staff, and enough space available to handle this situation. Please don't make (typical) 10 steps behind me comments about "This guys doesn't know the difference between the ICU and other units" because predictable stupid answers I'm way ahead of are getting annoying for me around here. It's not THAT hard to convert other units into ICU like units, especially when the problem that causes the need for expansion generally requires similar or the same technology; o2 delivery and full-on ventilators along with some other basics could prepare other units to be appropriate "ICU's" for this particular outbreak.

Why would hospitals that normally had patients suddenly lack patients, unless one is arguing that sick people are staying away for fear of being infected with the virus? If you had a serious issue, you are going to visit the hospital.

One of the biggest hospital near me , a non-profit which has won awards for being one of the best in the region , is never bustling. It always seems like place is only 20% - 40% full. This was the situation long before the virus hit.

Back