laptop screen won't turn on...

TardStrong

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
My laptop screen wont turn on. The computer sounds like it is booting up but the screen stays black. Now first I thought it was possibly the screen went bad but when I tried to hook the laptop up to a monitor it puts the monitor into sleep mode. I'm not sure if this is a separate issue or not. I tried taking the battery out and holding the power button down and then hook in up the ac cord but no luck. any advice?

does it have an hdmi port, or do you have a television with a vga port? if so, try hooking it up to see if it's the screen that's bad or if your video driver and/or card is crap.

it is a compaq Presario cq 56-115 dx. I tried hooking it up to my tv and two other monitors my tv said no signal an it put the two monitors to sleep as soon as I plugged them together. vga port.

probably the video card then. you should be able to get a cheap one for less than a hundo from newegg, but i doubt you'll know how to replace it. it'll probably cost you a significant amount of money to go somewhere like best buy.

probably the video card then. you should be able to get a cheap one for less than a hundo from newegg, but i doubt you'll know how to replace it. it'll probably cost you a significant amount of money to go somewhere like best buy.

Going to Best Buy to have your laptop worked on is like going to Dunkin Donuts to have your BMW worked on.

probably the video card then. you should be able to get a cheap one for less than a hundo from newegg, but i doubt you'll know how to replace it. it'll probably cost you a significant amount of moneyto go somewhere like best buy.

Laptops generally don't have replaceable video cards. They're generally integrated into the motherboard. About the only things you can feasibly replace/upgrade are RAM and hard drive.

Fortunately laptops have become quite cheap.

what is the longest you have left it on & waited to see if the screen would come on?

With my old POS laptop screen wouldnt come on and I kept trying to reboot it etc. Then one day I left it on after rebooting and went out. When I came back it was on.
(wasnt video card or driver related) just had viruses.

Hook up an external screen or TV, if you have one.
That's what worked for me after I threw my Xbox gamepad into my laptop screen :/

IF YOUR SCREEN IS BLANK AFTER START-UP, THEN HOW THE FUCK DID WRITE THIS POST. I CALL BS!!!!!!

LOL I'm kidding, I had a similar problem with mine and it was the video card. Seems like it needs replacing or at best its out of place on the motherboard.

Did any of you guys actually read the OP?

It's a laptop. You can't replace the video card on most laptops, specifically his.

TS stated in OP that he already tried external displays.

TS, your machine doesn't have a video card that's known to have high failure rates, but this is probably the most likely culprit.

1 - Does the backlight come on? Is there anything at all visible, even for short periods of time?

2 - Can you confirm that your computer is in fact, booting? ie, can you see it on any networks, etc.

3 - When did you buy this computer and is it still under warranty?

Same shit happened to me last week.

Take the battery out of the bottom when the computer is off, and put it back in. Reboot the laptop, and it should work.

i cant figure out how to set a background on my Acer laptop...it has windows 7 and it says i can set one but everytime i click it, it never sets

after its booted try holding down Fn+F4 to toggle your monitor. If its your lcd screen any external monitor will eventually show up after Fn+F4. If its your video card then you'll see what you've been seeing.
Do you see any activity on the lcd screen at all during the boot process? ie splash screens

lol @ anyone suggesting replacing parts in a laptop for a guy who can't diagnose a screen problem (no offense to you.) Replacing parts in a laptop is fucking brain surgery.

i cant figure out how to set a background on my Acer laptop...it has windows 7 and it says i can set one but everytime i click it, it never sets

I can't tell if this is serious.

lol @ anyone suggesting replacing parts in a laptop for a guy who can't diagnose a screen problem (no offense to you.) Replacing parts in a laptop is fucking brain surgery.

I can't tell if this is serious.

lol...i know i feel like such a retard...like...ill do the normal thing to set a background...and it just never sets.. btw its the first laptop ive owned...just got it from my uncle

hmm. do u have the image saved on ur comp or are you right clicking and clicking set desktop background? If it's the latter, maybe your comp has some preferences modified so it doesn't save image caches or something along those lines.

If that's the case and you don't want to change those preferences, you can
save the image
right click desktop
personalize
desktop background
and then find the file.

yo I dont know if you had roomates or not but one time my asshole roomate changed the background to black and hid all the icons and stuff, took OfficeMax 2 hours to figure it out just a head up

Back