"LANCE" 30 for 30...is ESPN seriously trying to resurrect this chode's relevance?

Do you like Lance Armstong?

• Total voters
After seeing one episode of this I can already tell that this will be a lot better than the Last Dance “documentary”

Very well done IMO.
Worth the watch, looking forward to episode 2 next week.

Pharmstrong can't stop lying.

He said the only time he took HGH was in 1996 when he was with Ferrari for a few months. That contradicts what he told Oprah and the hospital room admission.

One thing -- and this in no way minimizes the douche-baggery of Lance -- his posse is getting a pass here. That turd Bart Knaggs and Bill Stapleton, were the source of the attack tactics that Pharmstrong used. The third partner in crime was the lawyer (I just don't remember his name).

Interesting that they talked with Rick Crawford, Lance's first coach. That guy has doped several athletes in the 2000s.

I think the entire thing is more about style and nuance than fact finding journalism really.
Bruyneel gets a pass as well and he was totally complicit in all of it.

Last edited:
Interesting how we all get worked up about an athlete cheating physically, but how many star athletes got high school diplomas, or college degrees and were still illiterate? But we give them a pass.

S
Interesting how we all get worked up about an athlete cheating physically, but how many star athletes got high school diplomas, or college degrees and were still illiterate? But we give them a pass.
Sounds like a borderline War room thread, bro.

But do we? There were calls for UNC to lose its accreditation not long ago.

It's funny the desperate equivocations people go through to distract from what Armstrong did. You can see multiple instances in this thread.

Yes, we know other cyclists cheated. Yes, we know other sports are dirty. None of that changes the fact that Armstrong not only doped, but destroyed other cyclists and journalists careers through a racketeering and cover-up scheme. Look into what he actually did before dismissing it so quickly.

His foundation funded *cancer awareness*, not cancer research. Like oh shit! If it was not for caner jesus himself I never would have known about cancer.

It also funded his private plane expenses of $2m/yr and gave high paying jobs to his friends. Let's not even go into 'livestrong.org' vs 'livestrong.com', which was a for profit.

I've heard a fair bit about this.

I'd like to see one mainstream documentary at least address the question "Was Livestrong a scam charity".

To be fair I'd guess there is more to cancer awareness than "have you heard about this thing called cancer". For instance you could say "mole X on your skin in location Y could become cancerous". However, there seems to be a lot of shadiness with regards to Livestrong and the use of their buget.

I've heard a fair bit about this.

I'd like to see one mainstream documentary at least address the question "Was Livestrong a scam charity".

To be fair I'd guess there is more to cancer awareness than "have you heard about this thing called cancer". For instance you could say "mole X on your skin in location Y could become cancerous". However, there seems to be a lot of shadiness with regards to Livestrong and the use of their buget.

Reed Abligoti (WSJ) and Juliet Macur (NYT), authors of Wheelman, seem to have covered this ground. Livestrong seems to have had it's main purpose to promote Pharmstrong's ego and pocket book.

One example I recall was:
- Pharmstrong gets invited to Ireland to speak at a cancer dinner.
- they make a donation to Livestrong.
- livestrong pays for Lance's private jet to Ireland
- Pharmstrong also does a charity ride that weekend for which he gets $50,000 appearance money.
- he gets a free trip to Ireland by private jet and pocket $50,000. His foundation gets money but basically breaks even after his expenses are paid.
- wash, rinse, repeat.

He shouldn't have accepted the full stripping of his titles. He was outside the statute of limitations on all but 1 of his titles

He shouldn't have accepted the full stripping of his titles. He was outside the statute of limitations on all but 1 of his titles

He used his 'get out of jail' pass to get the FDA charges dropped by Andre Birotte --- on the eve of the super bowl - LMAO.

Not coincidentally, Birotte was appointed as a US Federal judge shortly thereafter.

It's funny the desperate equivocations people go through to distract from what Armstrong did. You can see multiple instances in this thread.

Yes, we know other cyclists cheated. Yes, we know other sports are dirty. None of that changes the fact that Armstrong not only doped, but destroyed other cyclists and journalists careers through a racketeering and cover-up scheme. Look into what he actually did before dismissing it so quickly.
good point, but in reality he didn't actually 'destroy' anyone's else career or credibility. He may have attacked it but not ruined it really.

good point, but in reality he didn't actually 'destroy' anyone's else career or credibility. He may have attacked it but not ruined it really.

Ummm, no.

Filipo Simeoni and Bassons beg to differ. Also blocked the publication of two books, and made Emma unemployable. He was pretty effective.

Also told ESPN he wouldn't talk to them if they hired Frankie. Ruined Greg Lemond's bike business with Trek.

and while we're on the topic of doping, where's the outrage over A-Rod?
dude got suspended twice, the second time for 180 fucking games, the entire season.
now he has a huge multi-million dollar contract with espn to commentate on baseball games.

where was there ever outrage over barry bonds, abject cheater and liar? HoF? hopefully not in my lifetime.

the list goes on and on.
it's not even a quid pro quo or tit for tat.
but Lance was vilified as much for his demeanor and character as he was for his actions.
cheaters and dopers are bad, they should be run out. but equanimity in that evaluation should be practiced.

and while we're on the topic of doping, where's the outrage over A-Rod?
dude got suspended twice, the second time for 180 fucking games, the entire season.
now he has a huge multi-million dollar contract with espn to commentate on baseball games.

where was there ever outrage over barry bonds, abject cheater and liar? HoF? hopefully not in my lifetime.

the list goes on and on.
it's not even a quid pro quo or tit for tat.
but Lance was vilified as much for his demeanor and character as he was for his actions.
cheaters and dopers are bad, they should be run out. but equanimity in that evaluation should be practiced.

Lance was clearly by far the worst offender and his "crimes" stretched way further, but there is some truth to this.

In athletics Ben Johnson is the poster boy for Anti-doping, yet his big rival Carl Lewis is still thought of as an ATG by most people, when anyone with half brain knows Lewis was doped to the gills too. Definitely at least some selective outrage goes on.

lol simeoni was a client of ferrari and just as dirty.
bassons is another story.
and yes, bullied into silence and eventually retirement.
welp, that's pro sports then ain't it.
but in reality, cycling is a fringe sport at best, at least in the US
and no one cares beyond the TDF

Last edited:
Back