1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Lactate Question

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by jrock89, Sep 29, 2010.

1. jrock89

jrock89 Orange Belt

Alright I have a test coming up and I am pretty much fucked. We were supposed to have a review but all this Austin crazy shooting business canceled that school day so we are just going to take the test without a review. So I am trying to do some extra credit that will help me pass the class since I am going to bomb the test. If any smart sherdoggers could help that would be awesome.

Question:

James and Mike have the exact same PR times for a 10km running. When they got tested in an exercise physiology lab, James lactate threshold was 25% higher than Mikes. Why do they have the same running performance?

2. pliftkl

pliftkl Green Belt

Because Mike's aerobic system was so much more efficient than James that he never crossed the lactic acid threshold while running at a faster speed than James.

Edit: What class? How fucked could you really be? You should be studying right now.

Second edit: Sorry, just reread the question. Change my answer to "while running at the same speed as James"

3. jrock89

jrock89 Orange Belt

So they never reached their threshold points right?

4. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

[​IMG]

In other words, the contribution of the lactic acid energry system is so minimal in a 10km run, that Mike having a slightly higher aerobic capacity will make up for the difference in the lactic acid energy system. If you want to use the graph in your extra credit assignemtn, you can send me $5 or as altenate means of payment, name your first born child Dr. Zauis.

5. scoopj

scoopj ackson

James had to stop to breastfeed his kid?

6. jrock89

jrock89 Orange Belt

skeet skeet skeet <3

7. pliftkl

pliftkl Green Belt

My first reaction was "Wow, that's a way better answer than mine".

But as I think about this, I'm not sure I like the graph that much. If the aerobic energy system was the predominant source of energy for all efforts over 2 minutes, wouldn't you expect the same people who dominate marathons to also dominate the 5K and 10K events? I would think that someone with a better lactic acid system would tolerate running at over aerobic thresholds far better than someone with poor lactic acid system energy production.

8. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

You had to go and make things complicated didn't you?

First, the graph isn't entirely accurate, but it does a good job of illustrating the general idea. The various energy systems always contribute, just at different levels. So the lactic acid energy system will contribute more to a 5km run, than a 10km, and more to a 10km run than a marathon, and it's contribution is never zero, even if it's very low after 2 minutes. Still the predominant energy system is aerobic.

The pace of a top marathoner is about ~3 minutes per Km, were as the pace of a top 10km runner is ~2:42. So a difference of 18s per Km, despite the fact that the marathoner has to deal with the buildup of fatigue, dehydration, and depletion of glycogen...and while the last two can be contered with water, sports drinks, and easily digested carbs (ex. sugar gel stuff), it means the marathoner also has to run while the digestive systems absorbs those things.

Additionaly, since timing themself doing a marathon isn't a pratical way for marathoners to measure progress during training, marathoners will do shorter, timed runs, maybe as short as 3km, and can make a reasonably accurate guess at where their marathon time would be. Which show that there is a lot of carryover between 5km and/or 10km times and marathon times.

The big difference is whether the body is accustomed to the slightly faster pace of a 10km, or the signifcantly longer distance of a marathon.

9. El Beebo

El Beebo Blue Belt

Just to further complicate things, does tolerance fit into this anywhere? For example, if Mike were running just above his lactic threshold and James was below his lactic threshold, could they have had the same times because Mike is able to gut out the run and tolerate the discomfort of lactic acid buildup better?

10. Ville Kukkonen

Ville Kukkonen White Belt Professional Fighter

Mike got better poweroutput at the threshold than James, and it evens things up

11. Ian Coe

Ian Coe Silver Belt Professional Fighter

What about local muscular endurance at the higher HR levels (I've just done a HICT session :p )

12. Champion#1

Champion#1 Yellow Belt

Me too :D

13. Bedlam

Bedlam Blue Belt

Off-topic ^^^

I did one last week but the gym had no equipment for it so now I hate step-ups.

14. Ian Coe

Yep, sure is...or is it hmmmm.

How did you get on keeping your heart rate up using the step ups?

I've been using the spin bike. Last week was my first attempt, 2 10 minute attempt with 10 minutes active rest, 5 minutes warm up, 5 cool down. 2 sessions last week. This week the HR went up relatively easy compared to last time, but my legs weren't the limiting factor this time around.

15. southpawdude

southpawdude White Belt

Your post made me lol.

I am so immature.

16. Bedlam

Bedlam Blue Belt

High steps with extra weight was one of the two suggestions I heard if you didn't have any equipment. The other suggestion was lunges up an incline.

17. Ian Coe

You've been reading the HICT thread on 8weeksout haven't you.
    It was Joel that suggested the latter.

18. ExtremeStandard

ExtremeStandard Yellow Belt

You guys are too smart. haha I sort of understand this stuff....but it's still kinda of gibberish to me.

19. Bedlam

Bedlam Blue Belt

The thread and the book; my conditioning needs work.

I wanted to try the lunges but I was stuck at the gym and the treadmills weren't long enough. I think I'd hate the lunges more than the step-ups the next day.