Lack of Leg Kicks in UFC HW Division

And there just aren't many that would do better.
Bigfoot?
Nelson?
Mir?
Barnett?
Cormier?

Do you think any of em could possibly throw a leg kick with the efficiency of Barboza or Aldo? Just isn't going to happen. So most just focus on their hands. Cro Cop back in the day though. Ouch.

Exactly.

I agree that weight plays a factor, but there are ways to set up your kicks with punches very efficiently at HW. I don't buy that they don't work because its at HW.

I'm gonna show this thread to Pedro rizzo tomorrow. Beware - now he's muay thai training supervisor at my gym!

I'm gonna show this thread to Pedro rizzo tomorrow. Beware - now he's muay thai training supervisor at my gym!

If true that is awesome...I'd love to train with Rizzo someday

Awesome man, thanks for posting

Man, if you come to sao Paulo someday, come to sorocaba, and enjoy training with rizzo, i'll make the introductions! And if you can watch my teacher fights, he's with rizzo on that picture, it's very good. He spars with anderson! Stevan gutierrez' the name.
I feel somehow privileged being there, and i'm not a fighter, i'm a...prosecutor, d.a., I don't know the equivalent!
It's sheer luck!

To the best of my knowledge no one else at HW utilizes leg kicks as effectively as Pat Barry.

Furthermore, why don't we see more fighters at this weight class that have an aggressive leg-kick attack, ala Barry or perhaps Barboza, Aldo, and Pettis (albeit in the lighter class)?

Is it because hands pose more of a threat at HW, thus strong kickers may be more afraid to engage?

I believe this largely to be a factor of how weight makes scrambling up from a bad position more difficult combined with the likelihood of being seriously hurt by a single punch. Very common counters to the leg kick involve an overhand/straight right or a takedown.

When very large fighters end up in a bad ground position (think Mir vs. Lesnar II) it can be much more difficult for them to get back to a standing position. Lighter fighters have a much better strength-to-weight ratio and can more easily power out of bad positions.

Really big guys generally are not willing to risk being on their back or knocked-out to land a leg kick. Barry is a great exception, but he's also not top shelf.

Man, if you come to sao Paulo someday, come to sorocaba, and enjoy training with rizzo, i'll make the introductions! And if you can watch my teacher fights, he's with rizzo on that picture, it's very good. He spars with anderson! Stevan gutierrez' the name.
I feel somehow privileged being there, and i'm not a fighter, i'm a...prosecutor, d.a., I don't know the equivalent!
It's sheer luck!

Thanks, I'm sure that would be a great experience

Mittrione has some pretty good low kicks.

Keep in mind there are not a lot of good kickboxers in the UFC HW division right now.

They are mostly box-wrestlers or brawlers.

I believe this largely to be a factor of how weight makes scrambling up from a bad position more difficult combined with the likelihood of being seriously hurt by a single punch. Very common counters to the leg kick involve an overhand/straight right or a takedown.

When very large fighters end up in a bad ground position (think Mir vs. Lesnar II) it can be much more difficult for them to get back to a standing position. Lighter fighters have a much better strength-to-weight ratio and can more easily power out of bad positions.

Really big guys generally are not willing to risk being on their back or knocked-out to land a leg kick. Barry is a great exception, but he's also not top shelf.

Now this is true.

But there are many counters to leg kicks- however you need to set up your leg kicks with punches to make them effective, for example.

Again, there are few HW's skilled in leg kicks. Lots of sloppy brawling with the exception of a few.

Hw strikers are, generally, head hunters. It's a shame, but the quality of striking at hw is decreasing: rizzo, cro cop all belong to the past. Overeem, a good striker, is just too lazy on mma. Jds is a boxer with very powerful hands, and maybe his ko of hunt is the beggining of something special.

Another fact is: hw are too slow fighters! A good leg kick must be set up with punches and ir must be fast to avoid counters.

It's sheer luck!

Thats awesome man!
I'll be in rio in January... Any tips of travel ?

Back