Lack of Leg Kicks in UFC HW Division

Tankeray

Primordial Covenant
@Silver
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge no one else at HW utilizes leg kicks as effectively as Pat Barry.

Furthermore, why don't we see more fighters at this weight class that have an aggressive leg-kick attack, ala Barry or perhaps Barboza, Aldo, and Pettis (albeit in the lighter class)?

Is it because hands pose more of a threat at HW, thus strong kickers may be more afraid to engage?

Cain showed very good leg kicks in the Nogueira fight.

Mirko-Cro-Cop.jpg

But yes, you are, for the most part, correct. Speed/agility is the biggest reason. Most heavies throw high kicks at a glacial pace.

It's because of the lack of good technical kickers.

Glad you said that- just curious why there hasn't been more of it in that division, as it is absolutely devastating, especially at a higher weight.

Historically or currently?

Historically, there have been notable kickers. Cro Cop, Rizzo, Gonzaga, even Fedor was regarded as being a good kicker.

Now? There are less. I feel part of it is the current HW game though. There were quite a few wrestlers in the division from about 2008-2011 or so and the guys on top are from that era.

Honestly though, it's probably because HW lacks many dynamic fighters right now.

Historically or currently?

Historically, there have been notable kickers. Cro Cop, Rizzo, Gonzaga, even Fedor was regarded as being a good kicker.

Now? There are less. I feel part of it is the current HW game though. There were quite a few wrestlers in the division from about 2008-2011 or so and the guys on top are from that era.

Honestly though, it's probably because HW lacks many dynamic fighters right now.

What I think as well.

Bigfoot loves them

One reason might be that big people move slower but have the same reaction time so it should be easier for another HW to catch them.

Check out ray sefo's last fight in his org...he doestroyed some dudes legs worse than most old k1 fights and the dude toughed it out unbelievably and ended up beating his face in! awesome, awesome fight

Overeem was a K-1 champ, yet he throws few kicks and none at the head. You'd think he would throw some. No future Cro cop's on the horizon I guess.

Pedro Rizzo had devastating leg kicks. Currently no HW really employs them with regularity.

Back