315 x 3

Db curls, extensions and flies

8lbs 3x12

Db Flat seal rows

35lbs 3x12

8/1/22

2 hours training

1 hour, many rounds of drilling and 5 3-minute rounds sparring

Went against a kid who was throwing jump kicks and stuff, and then another young guy who was getting frustrated and started trying to take my head off lol.

1 hour bjj

Drilled spider guard stuff, then several rounds of positional sparring, pass/stop

8/2/22

Close to 3 hours training

Fundamental bjj class, Bjj for mma class

Drilled side control escapes, single legs, arm bars from back control

Lots of rounds rolling, had a really good time

8/3/22

Stretch and warmup

SOHP
100lbs x 5
110 x 3
125 x 5

95 3x5

Seated db press

35lbs 3x10

Curls, extensions, flies

8lbs 2x12

I'm really sore and stiff after the last two days of training. Didn't feel like lifting at all, but I knew I'd feel better after, which I did.

Lifting today felt less like progress and more like body maintenance and care. Feels good to get stretched and move around. I did fewer reps on my amrap than I did at the same weight 5 months ago, but I'm ok with it. Lifting has a different place in my priorities, but it's still crucial to keeping me healthy and able to perform on the mats.

What kind of gym has 135lb dbs? Hot damn.

4 months late but I just saw this.

Home gym, 135lbs db are standard

Get on my level

But seriously lol. I can't even imagine what a db that big would look like. Thanks to my typo, I'm now going to Google 135lbs db

Edit : wow, so like, that's a thing. Some people are beasts

4 months late but I just saw this.

Home gym, 135lbs db are standard

Get on my level

But seriously lol. I can't even imagine what a db that big would look like. Thanks to my typo, I'm now going to Google 135lbs db

Edit : wow, so like, that's a thing. Some people are beasts

Ya, usually they're plate loaded DBs that go that high.

8/4/22

2.75 hours at the gym

Did a basic MT class, drilled catch and return combos and such, core excercises to end class (leg raises, toe touches, v ups, scissors, etc. Blech)

Bjj class and rolling

Drilled arm pin passing, countering the arm pin to battle guard, inside out guard defense against double unders

Lots of rounds rolling, got pushed a bit tonight and it was good, great class

8/6/22

1.5 hours open mat

Good rolling, good group, lots of good roll

Shittily, another black belt my size who I really like rolling with separated his shoulder rolling for a back take. Sucks to see, he's gonna be out for a while, hopefully he recovers well. He and I have been talking lifting, he's younger and about 235, and I know he was close to some goals he was excited about. I feel bad for him, but that's the life we live.

Last edited:
8/7/22

Stretch and warmup

DL

225lbs x 3
275 x 5
305 x 3
315 x 3

I was distracted and loaded the wrong weight for warm ups lol. Did 305 thinking it was 285, and was like ,"wtf, this feels heavier than it should"

Cut it short today, low on time and my body is tired. But as always, feels good to have lifted at least something

8/9/22

Stretch and warmup

DL
225lbs x 5
255 x 5
285 x 8

Fsl

225 5x5

Db Flat seal row

35lbs 3x12

Db Floor press

35lbs 3x12

20 seconds each (scissors, v ups, bicycles, flutter kicks)

Plank 1 minute

20 paddle pop ups

3 3-minute rounds light shado boxing

Skipping bjj and mt this week and next so I don't get sick before vacation, so I'm trying to get a bit more work in after my lift

Last edited:
8/10/22

Stretch and warmup

SOHP
90lbs x 3
105 x 3
120 x 7

Fsl

90 5x3

Seated db press

35lbs 3x12

Landmine press

30lbs 3x10 (per arm)

Db Curls, extensions and flies

10lbs 3x12

Paddle and pop ups

Last edited:
Surfing every day since Sunday, will keep doing that through the first week of September. Not going to post daily surf reports lol, but just wanted something in here to account for the gap.

9/11/22

Stretch and warmup

SOHP
85lbs x 5
100 x 5
115 x 5

DL
135lbs x 5
225 x 5
275 x 5

First lift in a month, didn't program, just put up weight.

I'm thinking about doing some bjj competition in Oct and Dec, so I'll probably significantly scale back my lifting. Gas in the tank will be my primary concern if I compete, and by old broken body can only handle so much. I may be doing 5 days a week bjj/thai boxing, in which case I won't update this. Or maybe I will.

Trained 4 days this week, feel good, timing and gas are getting back line.

10/23/22
I have just been doing bjj and mt lately, 4-5 days a week.

I signed up for a competition in December so I guess I should put out some effort to prepare. I'm going to lift just to complement training.

I'll probably come up with some kind of program, but today is just about getting under weight. I'm registered in the 208 and under division, which I've always done well in, but been undersized. So, can't hurt to lift.

SOHP

45lbs x5
75 x 5
95 3x5

Seated db overhead press

35lbs 3x10

Db Flat seal row

35lbs 3x10

Floor db press

3x10

Flies curls extensions

10lbs 2x 12

Last edited:
10/30/22

Missed the day I had planned to lift last week. My body, it has problems lol. But not bad, just an almost 50 year old body doing bjj and mt 5 days a week.

Gonna just stick with light and easy stuff to keep the momentum going hopefully.

Sohp

95 3x5

Romanian DL

185 lbs 3x5

Seated db press

35lbs 3x10

Flat db seal rows

35lbs 3x10

Db Floor press

35lbs 3x10

Curls, extentions, flies

10lbs 3x12

Lots of stretching and resistance band work to start, also had warm up sets of sohp and rom dl that I didn't record

11/1/22

Sparring was canceled last night cause Halloween, so I did the normal kickboxing class before bjj and holy shit that's a lot of squat jumps, push ups, burgers, etc

Feeling it today so it's nice to active rest lift and move around

Bent over row

135 lbs 3x5

Rom dl doh

225lbs 3x5

Sohp

105 lbs 3x5

Seated db press

35lbs 3x10

12-11-22

Alright, so I got Covid, then the flu, so I've been down quite a bit. Did about a week of bjj, but then the flu hit after Covid and I've been out of commission.

Finally feeling decent, so I'm going to lift today and get back on the mats tomorrow

SOHP

45lbs x5
75 x 5
85 x 5
95 x 5
105 x 5

Flat db seal row

35lbs 3x10

Seated db overhead press

35lbs 3x10

Floor db press 35lbs 3x10

Back