Kyoji Horiguchi second coming of KID?

FMAxBoxing

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Obviously, Horiguchi is training under KID Yamamoto and in a way, his style reminds me of KID's.

Ive been watching Horiguchi for a while now, and you can tell that he is a talented kid from his fights...and it's truly spectacular to watch.

KID during his prime was an explosive and dynamic finisher (FFS he dropped Masato in a K1 fight.) and he was undersized at 145, yet he was mauling guys who were bigger than him. Unfortunately, he wasnt the same after his knee injury, and he entered the UFC a little too late.

Horiguchi is only 23, and yet so far he's been impressive. Judging from his Shooto fights, he's also a finisher. (Just not explosive as KID, at least not yet.) He's also quick and unpredictable.

Will Horiguchi surpass his mentor? Is he bound to make a run in his division, one that people expected KID to do years ago?

I definitely see him getting a title shot in a year or 2. I just don't know if he will be champion.

Is still early to say but sure Horiguchi showed very good things and he should has a lot of potential.
Has to improve in some areas like TDD and clinch, he seems to leave himself too much on sub attempts, but sure he has room to grow.

Now that all the best is under the same umbrella but with only one goal (the belt) is harder to achieve something real...

KID run in K-1/Hero's was something great, 2 subs and 7 KOs in a row to guys like Caol Uno and Genki Sudo, and in 2007 the win over Bibiano Fernandes.
He was a top striker in MMA but not more than good in pure kickboxing/K-1, although a majority decision loss to Masato and a loss in 2005 against Mike Zambidis aren't shameful losses.

Second coming? hes his own person, not a reincarnation.. wtf is this

Im hoping so, he's made a fan out of me. I see a little bit of Machida, Gomi and Kid in his style as well. But yea like someone said earlier he needs work on TDD and submissions if he wants to make it far. But he's got some really good natural talent.

I sure hope so. Love this kid, the speed with which he gets in and out is something to admire.

Kyoji Horiguchi is a beast. I never saw prime Kid, but I think Kyoji has a lot of potential to go far. One of my favourite modern fighters now.

He's pretty good. But I think KID is more explosive and meaner for sure. I'd say he's a KID-lite for now.

To bad Kyoji Horiguchi dropped down to Flyweight a fight with Justin Scoggins would have been awesome!

I sure hope so. Love this kid, the speed with which he gets in and out is something to admire.

Montague was saying during his fight how fast he was... if he trains extensively in the US, to improve his grapplin and get to train with top fighters often, he is really promising. He has the athleticism, the fight instinct and the talent.

Kid was also a very good wrestler though.

Back