Kyoji Horiguchi is 11-0 Post DJ/8-0 Post UFC

1.) true
2.) I don’t think he was winning rounds doing his best job to smother his opponent but his performance still confused me.
3.) true
4.) he has another loss by guillotine but it’s not really a similar fight outside of that

Obviously the ring and being in Japan played a role in it. It just seems weird how quickly Caldwell gassed, how quickly he tapped to a choke that didn’t appear to be locked up, and his strange post fight behavior.

Clearly the choke was deep enough to force a tap and Caldwell spent a ton of energy getting Horoguchi to the ground, but he still seemed very “off” as I said.

I think your explanation is correct, but it’s fun to overthink and I’m looking forward to the rematch.
Short camp and travel to Japan, which I imagine he's never done before. There's a reason it was only scheduled for three fives. I just don't think he was in shape.

Horiguchi is a very talented and fun guy to watch. I wouldn't mind seeing him end up a fixture in Bellator, or going back to UFC to see what Prime Guch can do in their 35 division. There's definitely something to be said for not having to fly around the entire world every time you have to fight, though. I already imagine training camp and making weight leaves you rather spent come fight night, add in 14 hours of jetlag and a new environment and it sounds pretty rough. Hopefully Rizin is paying him well.

the caldwell fight looked fix.

also horiguchi would get KO by USADA
Didn't get KO'ed by USADA when he was still competing in UFC and amassed a UFC record of 7 wins and only 1 loss to DJ. You won't think the match was fixed if you actually watched the whole fight. That Caldwell sub attempt is as real as it gets.

Caldwell was winning but over played his wrestling. Horiguchi was still in the fight and not damaged so was sharp to counter.

Last edited:
Back