Kurt Osiander, "I f#*ked up."

Cash Bill 52

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
https://www.facebook.com/kurt.osian...&total_comments=24&notif_t=feed_comment_reply

So did I. I lost a close one. Congrats to Nathan. He is a lurker on here. I have a new arch nemesis. My teammates think I won. I accept the decision. Nathan is legit. I think I gave him his first black belt win. Congrats to Nathan.

Here is the video. How do you score it?

btw...They had Saulo's finals match after our match. It was cool to see him watch his student. It's an honor to share the same mat directly before him.

Shout out to "emptiness at 2:35...

If I didn't go for the last triangle and just played conservative I think I might have eeked out a decision. He had a stalling penalty.

Last edited:
I'm guessing Nathan won on an advantage point, but I don't see where he would have been given an advantage. It didn't look like he ever had you flattened out in half-guard. And it looks like you could have been given an advantage point for a near sub with an armbar. 1-0 on advantage to Cash Bill.

I had you winning that match by decision, even though you were fighting a Ribeiro guy. Much more aggressive than he was.

Jeffers came closer to scoring actual points.

Bill, this is coming from a Ribiero guy but I had it dead even and don't know who I'd give it to.

Letting of the leg was a mistake as it looked like you had the omoplata set up.
Not sure why you did not an advantage for the sweep attempt.

Jeffers came closer to scoring actual points.

I accept the decision. I have a lot to learn. I'm excited to know that I have plenty of room for improvement.

Would someone mind looking at 4:32? Right when I almost swept him I had my arm under his instep. As I was lifting, I started to see Jeffers wince. He later told me he almost tapped. I was worried that I was reaping. You can hear my coach yelling, "Let go the leg." I wanted to use it to sweep but I let it go because I was afraid of DQ. I actually asked the ref at that moment if it was legal. If he would have tapped I think I would have lost by dq.

I should have switched to a toe hold.

Last edited:
yeah, advantage for the near pass attempt, it was a borderline call some ref's would give it some wouldn't i would be inclined to give the advantage due to you turtling for a split second.

Cash Bill, thanks for competing and being open to outside input. You're at least a momentary example for us to follow.

However,
I wanted to use it to sweep but I let it go because I was afraid of DQ. I actually asked the ref at that moment if it was legal. If he would have tapped I think I would have lost by dq.
This sums up everything I hate about IBJJF rules. We have two black belts on the mats and one of them is worrying about this during a match.

I'm all for regulating spine locks, slams and sort of okay with heel hooks in the gi, but this is ridiculous.

I accept the decision. I have a lot to learn. I'm excited to know that I have plenty of room for improvement.

Would someone mind looking at 4:32? Right when I almost swept him I had my arm under his instep. As I was lifting, I started to see Jeffers wince. He later told me he almost tapped. I was worried that I was reaping. You can hear my coach yelling, "Let go the leg." I wanted to use it to sweep but I let it go because I was afraid of DQ. I actually asked the ref at that moment if it was legal. If he would have tapped I think I would have lost by dq.

I should have switched to a toe hold.

Nathan was working out with me for about 6 weeks before this tournament. I was glad to see him not have to pull guard. I believe he was having some knee issues which is why he might have been in some pain; it didnt look to me like you were reaping at all. In fact, your leg was in position to omaplata or triangle, which is how he almost passed. Too bad the rules werent more clear or there was some kind of warning system in place like in wrestling for the dumb reaping rules.

Nathan was working out with me for about 6 weeks before this tournament. I was glad to see him not have to pull guard. I believe he was having some knee issues which is why he might have been in some pain; it didnt look to me like you were reaping at all. In fact, your leg was in position to omaplata or triangle, which is how he almost passed. Too bad the rules werent more clear or there was some kind of warning system in place like in wrestling for the dumb reaping rules.

Nathan is legit. I hope to meet him again in competition. I would do a few things differently. That's the beauty of competing and losing. You are forced to grow and learn. I had been working my stand up. My coach told me at the last second to pull because he was a Saulo guy.

Cash Bill, thanks for competing and being open to outside input. You're at least a momentary example for us to follow.

However,

This sums up everything I hate about IBJJF rules. We have two black belts on the mats and one of them is worrying about this during a match.

I'm all for regulating spine locks, slams and sort of okay with heel hooks in the gi, but this is ridiculous.

Yup. IBJJF is wack.

I think if I would have continued with the sweep he would have tapped. I may or may not have been dq'd.

ok, my bad. i watched it again.

he conceeded the sweep alreay as he was on both knees and you kept torquing the ankle control.

maybe a belt control will have been the next option.

ok, my bad. i watched it again.

he conceeded the sweep alreay as he was on both knees and you kept torquing the ankle control.

maybe a belt control will have been the next option.

I was thinking that too. Now if only I could go back in time to that exact moment...

That's where I f'd up.

You weren't reaping, but I believe that there's a related rule involving using the underhook to torque the knee that you could potentially have been DQ'd for. I remember there being controversy about some DQ's that involved using the underhook from DLR to turn the knee, but I don't recall the specifics. Do the hands have to be connected (as in a gable or S grip sort of situation) for that to apply?

You weren't reaping, but I believe that there's a related rule involving using the underhook to torque the knee that you could potentially have been DQ'd for. I remember there being controversy about some DQ's that involved using the underhook from DLR to turn the knee, but I don't recall the specifics. Do the hands have to be connected (as in a gable or S grip sort of situation) for that to apply?

Dang rules! I trusted my coach. He was probably right in telling me to let the leg go.

In all honesty, I'm not totally sure of that, and after looking through the rules, I don't see much in the way of clarification. I know that there are some other resources out there that detail the way the the rules treat reaping, torquing the knee, etc. but I don't see much in the way of specifics in the official rulebook.

Back