Kung Fu

Originally posted by guichoke
NO ONE said bjj sucks - no one disrespected it. the only person who is being disrespectful is u. U said tjj was a joke.

TJJ "usually" is a joke. Every martial arts effectiveness depends on how it is trained! I thought that was accepted without saying?

If you think you and the other guy weren't direspecting BJJ, go back and read your first posts. I simply said "joke," without clarifying. Not nearly as intentional.

you can use takedowns then stand up and start stomping/kicking. Bjj helps in street fight even if its not street effective. If you are fighting some guy on the street and you are beating him standing and he takles you, youd be pretty calm, cos you know how to sprawl and get out of positions. some moves would also work like the choke(gotta watch out for biting when u got an arm bar). eye gouging is a bitch

Freaky - what do u think about what Frank shamrock said?

ok ok ok..everybody here who thinks that BJJ is effective against multiple attackers..go down to your nearest convience store and pick a fight with 2 or 3 guys. then, come back and post here and tell us how it went :D

perhaps if u wont listen to me you'll listen to this guy

QUOTE FROM F.SHAMROCK ( to me) "submission fighting is pretty usless on the street. Your not going to go into thge guard if someone is brandishing a knife, and all your choke and locks go out the window if more than one person is involved. If ure interseted in street fighting, your better off learning modern arrest and retraint techniques "
by the way - most modern arrest and retraint techniques are based on TJJ.

Yea, most modern A & R techs are from TJJ, but they're the basic, simpler and more effective ones, not hundreds of specific variations like what most TJJ schools teach you on your first damn day.

Frank is half-way correct, but WAY over-simplified what he was trying to say. Sounds VERY misleading and doesn't take into account many things, eg. MOST non-sport fights don't occur on "the street" literally.

The bottom line is that some training is better than no training, especially some ground training. I got in a scrap with a cousin of mine who is a tough fucker, at the time the only real training I had was wrestling, but when shit went down I instinctively took him down and started throwing blows. If I hadn't wrestled I probably would have never got the takedown and would have gotten my ass thumped. I believe that "sports" like wrestling, BJJ, Judo are infinitely better than arts like Kung-Fu because you PRACTICE FULL OUT. The reason I instinctively hit a td was because I'd done it a million times in practice against a live opponent who was far more skilled than mast jokers on the street and trying like hell to stop me. I only took Judo for 6 months or so 5 years ago but the basic shit that I learned there still helps me when me and my brother roll around in the backyard for fun, he gets mad as hell when I fight from my back and he can't do shit about it.

I told him he should have enrolled with me!

would I ever purposely fight from my back if I was in a street fight, NOOOOOOO, but if a guy tackled me and I found myself on my back, am I gonna panic, no. I am gonna try like hell to get standing or reverse position but the key is to have an answer for every situation, and BJJ is as close as your gonna get, at least that's my un-BJJ-educated position

i take judo and muay thai............... i once got into a scuffle with 4 guys at my local corner store................ Yes i got the shit beat outta me but i took one down with me , stomping and and kicking one person while the others are bashing me in back of the head. I walked away with a busted lip and bruised ribs. Guess how i got away??? I RAN LIKE A LITTLE BITCH after a beat the shit outta one person. What im tryin to say is if there's one person beat his head in , if there's multiple assailants just run like a girl. So if your gonna train for something train for your high school track team , cause that shit helped me alot more than my martial arts.

Originally posted by sakurai#1fan
i take judo and muay thai............... i once got into a scuffle with 4 guys at my local corner store................ Yes i got the shit beat outta me but i took one down with me , stomping and and kicking one person while the others are bashing me in back of the head. I walked away with a busted lip and bruised ribs. Guess how i got away??? I RAN LIKE A LITTLE BITCH after a beat the shit outta one person. What im tryin to say is if there's one person beat his head in , if there's multiple assailants just run like a girl. So if your gonna train for something train for your high school track team , cause that shit helped me alot more than my martial arts.

LOL but very true!!

fighting 2 or more people isn't always the smartest thing to do eh? :D

cardio must have been very important for you at that time

Trust me , when i ran at 50% of my maximum speed they wouldnt even have caught me even if i had a prosthetic leg....... I was laughing my ass off when the 250+ pounder was chasing me , he took like 6 steps and got tired , HAHAHAHA , i never would have thought that running for track would have its benefits.

Originally posted by Silver Wolf
I agree with ClubberLange.

Kung Fu has never proved it's worth while BJJ is one of the most effective arts in the world. No, not everything in BJJ will work on the street but it's easy to adjust BJJ to make it work.

Silver Wolf.. first and foremost I think you make great posts and I am not looking for a flame fest here. I just wanted to put my two cents in about Kung Fu not proving its worth. I have been studying JKD for a while now. Its the only non-classical form of gung fu in existence and borrow HEAVILY from classic Wing Chun. I have to say, I have found the majority of the techniques in JKD to be *extremely* effective against many different arts.

The bottom line is this.. the art/form/style is only as good as the practitioner.

perhaps if u wont listen to me you'll listen to this guy

QUOTE FROM F.SHAMROCK ( to me) "submission fighting is pretty usless on the street. Your not going to go into thge guard if someone is brandishing a knife, and all your choke and locks go out the window if more than one person is involved. If ure interseted in street fighting, your better off learning modern arrest and retraint techniques "
by the way - most modern arrest and retraint techniques are based on TJJ.

Frank Shamrock endorses police training. LOL. half of the guys on this board can probably beat up police officers. Their main arrest and restraint technique against violent or agressive criminals is the dogpile.

Shit, they don't know chokes, armlocks or leglocks. If Frank Shamrock advocates police training courses as the best streetfighting technique, then he must be suffering a bit of dementia or taking bribes.

Originally posted by Fryguysun
Frank Shamrock endorses police training. LOL. half of the guys on this board can probably beat up police officers. Their main arrest and restraint technique against violent or agressive criminals is the dogpile.

Shit, they don't know chokes, armlocks or leglocks. If Frank Shamrock advocates police training courses as the best streetfighting technique, then he must be suffering a bit of dementia or taking bribes.

if steve jennum or cal worsham are any of these police officers..i'm out of the picture in being able to beat up cops :D

Originally posted by Fryguysun

While most cops arent exactly submission experts.. I know a few here in town that are probably Steve Jennum quality that can really mix it up. Ofcourse keep in mind that most cops dont care about fighting.. see they have these things called guns. ;)

Originally posted by BeLikeWater
While most cops arent exactly submission experts.. I know a few here in town that are probably Steve Jennum quality that can really mix it up. Ofcourse keep in mind that most cops dont care about fighting.. see they have these things called guns. ;)

or sticks, tazer guys, tear gas, etc

The best plan for a bjj guy is to get into a fight but bring his little sister along. This way he takes the guy down and while they're both vulnerable, the little girl walks over and kicks the opponent in the head.

Seriously though, getting in a fight with more than one person is a horrible idea. To even have a chance in a situation like that you have to assume your opponents suck horribly and can be taken out almost immediately. Think of it this way, if your opponents are only slightly worse than you, having two of them is greatly going to put things in their favor and you should never go into a fight with the mentality of "please let these guys be absolutely terrible fighters who are very weak." Same thing goes with defending a knife or some other weapon. You might know how to defend them but your defense is based on the fact that you assume the guy with the knife doesn't also know them. Unless the knife guy is FAR FAR less skilled than you, you're going to lose. I don't care how good you are, you can only block so many limbs. So cross train your martial arts with a healthy dose of running.

Originally posted by jake64
The best plan for a bjj guy is to get into a fight but bring his little sister along. This way he takes the guy down and while they're both vulnerable, the little girl walks over and kicks the opponent in the head.

Seriously though, getting in a fight with more than one person is a horrible idea. To even have a chance in a situation like that you have to assume your opponents suck horribly and can be taken out almost immediately. Think of it this way, if your opponents are only slightly worse than you, having two of them is greatly going to put things in their favor and you should never go into a fight with the mentality of "please let these guys be absolutely terrible fighters who are very weak." Same thing goes with defending a knife or some other weapon. You might know how to defend them but your defense is based on the fact that you assume the guy with the knife doesn't also know them. Unless the knife guy is FAR FAR less skilled than you, you're going to lose. I don't care how good you are, you can only block so many limbs. So cross train your martial arts with a healthy dose of running.

I agree completely... if a knife comes out.. and I CAN run away.. I'm running away. I'll suck my pride up any day to keep from getting seriously injured or killed. Anyone who says otherwise is ignorant or full of bs.

Trust me , when i ran at 50% of my maximum speed they wouldnt even have caught me even if i had a prosthetic leg....... I was laughing my ass off when the 250+ pounder was chasing me , he took like 6 steps and got tired , HAHAHAHA , i never would have thought that running for track would have its benefits.

u were attacked by a 250lber? haha how mjuch did u weigh?

Back