Kung Fu vs Jiu Jitsu

the "kung fu" guy looked pretty out of shape in comparison.

How many weeks has the kung-fu guy studied?

I'm not really a big fan of kung-fu, but you can tell the guy representing it hasn't done much of it or anything else.

One of my instructors, who is now a brown belt-very close to receiving his black belt, comes from a Kung-Fu background. He had a professional MMA fight about eight years ago. He lost very quickly (the guy also had about 50-60 pounds on him) to a big American dude. After that, he told me he started to train BJJ. He went to Brazil to live and train, and is a student under Marcos Barbosa.

However, my instructor still loves Kung-Fu and still trains occasionally (he also knows how to fight with swords and spears). Some of the really early patches from our school say "Kung-Fu and BJJ". My instructor always tells us to keep an open mind when we train. He's shown me a couple of Kung-Fu techniques that he's learned (breathing and stretching) that can be applied to BJJ ,and they're pretty cool. I'm not a Kung-Fu guy, but I definitely respect it and know there are good things that can be taken from it.

One of my instructors, who is now a brown belt-very close to receiving his black belt, comes from a Kung-Fu background. He had a professional MMA fight about eight years ago. He lost very quickly (the guy also had about 50-60 pounds on him) to a big American dude. After that, he told me he started to train BJJ. He went to Brazil to live and train, and is a student under Marcos Barbosa.

However, my instructor still loves Kung-Fu and still trains occasionally (he also knows how to fight with swords and spears). Some of the really early patches from our school say "Kung-Fu and BJJ". My instructor always tells us to keep an open mind when we train. He's shown me a couple of Kung-Fu techniques that he's learned (breathing and stretching) that can be applied to BJJ ,and they're pretty cool. I'm not a Kung-Fu guy, but I definitely respect it and know there are good things that can be taken from it.

Similar to me. My instructor is a black belt in bjj under Renzo, recently receiving his first degree. He's the head instructor at our school (and owns it), and continues to train bjj regularly with other black belts.

However, his base is Kung Fu, and he has done Kung Fu since he was 9 years old. He's really more of a JKD guy, but there was a heave emphasis on Kung Fu in what he learned. Needless to say, he still loves it despite being a pro MMA fighter and a bjj black belt. He still uses a lot of Kung Fu terms and principles in teaching bjj, and still incorporates it into his other classes.

That said, I'm relatively sure he didn't use it in his fights.

The backstory behind this is while the BJJ black belt was in New York for something he met the "Kung Fu" guy. The KF guy told the BJJ black belt that BJJ isn't practical because of x, y, z where x, y, z equals the typical BS most TMA'ers believes BJJ is limited by (no finger bending, pressure points, etc, etc). BJJ black belt, being friends with Renzo, set up a friendly sparring match to show KF guy he didn't know what he was talking about.

KF guy supposedly had many, many years and lots of street fights under his belt.

How many weeks has the kung-fu guy studied?

I'm not really a big fan of kung-fu, but you can tell the guy representing it hasn't done much of it or anything else.

Even if he had done much more kung fu, would it honestly have helped him much? I mean once he's on the ground he would have been just as clueless and would have been finished just as quick.

That's why I laugh whenever I hear people complain that some of the UFC 1 guys weren't at the top of their style. Like Art Jimmerson was a journeyman who manged his way briefly into the top 10 at Cruiserweight, but the UFC didn't have a top ranked boxer in there. Would it really have mattered? Would the #1 Cruiserweight in 1993 have known how to stop a takedown better or escape the mount? Of course not.

was it just me, but i didn't see kung fu,..

I didn't really see anything except him getting owned. Like others have pointed out, that was to be expected, but the dude brought NOTHING to the table...not even a fancy outfit.

The title may as well have read "Completely Untrained Dingbat vs Jiu Jitsu"

Back