KSW 39 replay

Polish MMA could really use some good boxing.

I mean fuck, Poles used to be real good at boxing. Stamm's school had like two dozen champs and contenders: Mieczysław Forlański, Szapsel Rotholc, Tadeusz Rogalski, Witold Majchrzycki, Edmund Sobkowiak, Franciszek Szymura, Henryk Chmielewski, Józef Pisarski, Aleksander Polus, Antoni Czortek, Antoni Kolczyński, Aleksy Antkiewicz, Zygmunt Chychła, Zenon Stefaniuk, Leszek Drogosz, Zbigniew Pietrzykowski, Tadeusz Walasek, Kazimierz Paździor, Jerzy Adamski, Józef Grudzień, Jerzy Kulej, Marian Kasprzyk, Jan Szczepański, Jan Sielczak, Zdzisław Soczewiński (I got to know him personally before he passed away).

Some of these guys are still alive, many have raised talented pupils... where has it all gone? Where is the new generation of Polish boxers and why won't current MMA fighters train under the old boxing greats? Boggles my mind!

Blachowicz used to train with Andrzej Gmitruk a bit until he died, if I am not mistaken.
And I think there are some rumors that HW Boxers Artur Szpilka and Izu Ugonoh might join KSW in the near future.

I don't follow polish boxing that much, but it seems like in general it's not looking that great at the moment. When the 2 biggest hopes in polish boxing are the ukrainian Czerkaszyn and the in the US raised and training Kownacki (who also surprisingly lost his last fight).

From time to time Wasilewski promotes a medicore fighter to get smashed in a onetime title/moneyfight overseas, like Szeremeta who is going to fight GGG.

But there are also not that many great boxing coaches in Poland right now. The only good one is probably Fiodor Lapin (a russian). A bit weird when you think about all the good fighters in polish boxing history.

Last edited:
Btw. Polish-Nigerian HW boxer Izugabe Ugonoh now officially signed with KSW.
Really interesting signing, had a lot of potential in boxing but somehow wasn't able to realize it. Not expecting too much, especially since he is already 33 and didn't looked particularly good in his last boxing bout, but he still could give some fun fights, if he is mentally prepared (which seems to be his biggest weakness).
He also has a kickboxing background

https://sportowefakty.wp.pl/mma/876249/mma-maciej-kawulski-potwierdza-izu-ugonoh-zawalczy-dla-ksw

upload_2020-3-29_19-8-53.png

Last edited:
Back