Kron Gracie

Isn't the goal of that to take the back directly instead of just taking the guy down.

The main object of a highdive is to get in on the hips for a waist lock or bodylock. Achieving this means you are on the way to a takedown.

Getting behind them (if you already have grips on them to pull them aside/pull yourself past), is a nice bonus.

Last edited:
Beautiful Jiujitsu. Was happy to see Kron do well in his UFC debut. Let's hope he carries on his winning legacy.

Makes you appreciate what Damian Maia was doing in his prime. Outside of stinging Mark Munoz with a straight left his striking was never anything to worry about. You knew his takedown was coming but still couldn't stop it.

Maia is insanely good at what he does. His strategy might be disputable but he a lot more effective with what he does then you would expect anybody.

Kron did well. Its just a very tough weight class, filled with great fighters. Who would be good next step? Andre fili and myles jury fought on the same card, both would be good options. Whats your thoughts?

The main object of a highdive is to get in on the hips for a waist lock or bodylock. Achieving this means you are on the way to a takedown.

Getting behind them (if you already have grips on them to pull them aside/pull yourself past), is a nice bonus.

What I meant is by taking the back from standing didn't Kron avoid the need to hold his opponent down after the takedown and the whole riding and mat returns game?

Kron did well. Its just a very tough weight class, filled with great fighters. Who would be good next step? Andre fili and myles jury fought on the same card, both would be good options. Whats your thoughts?
Kron has already fought a few really good wrestlers so lets give him a good wrestler WITH heavy hands and veteran savvy. How about Kron vs Dennis Bermudez?

Kron has already fought a few really good wrestlers so lets give him a good wrestler WITH heavy hands and veteran savvy. How about Kron vs Dennis Bermudez?
He retired. Doesn’t fit your criteria but some one like Myles jury would be a good match up I think

He retired. Doesn’t fit your criteria but some one like Myles jury would be a good match up I think
Sure why not. Jury has a lot of experience now but has fallen off a notch or 2. He was looking like a real champ early on.

What I meant is by taking the back from standing didn't Kron avoid the need to hold his opponent down after the takedown and the whole riding and mat returns game?

Well, taking a guy down from the back pretty much is the mat return game, so...

For that matter tunnel visioning only on simply hanging on isn't a silver bullet either; if you are able to stand up and lean against the cage while a guy is focused on just staying on your back, you can basically stall him out indefinitely from there, and have good options for escape as well (see Masvidal vs Maia for instance). Step one is always disrupt his attempts to build up base, wherever you may be.

Well, taking a guy down from the back pretty much is the mat return game, so...

For that matter tunnel visioning only on simply hanging on isn't a silver bullet either; if you are able to stand up and lean against the cage while a guy is focused on just staying on your back, you can basically stall him out indefinitely from there, and have good options for escape as well (see Masvidal vs Maia for instance). Step one is always disrupt his attempts to build up base, wherever you may be.

What I mean that a broomstick lands you on the back of the guy while if he just lifted him he would have to attack the turtle while his opponent scrambles back.

hqdefault.jpg

How could you possibly deduce that from a 2 minute fight where most of it was Kron going straight for the RNC unopposed?
He’s a couple fights before this one champ.
Fair call tho, I might be judging him a little early, just based off the camp he’s training with, who he had in his corner, and the comments he’s made, it seems like he’s running with the full ‘bjj only’ /pure water strategy..
Hope he proves me wrong tho

i think this fast-tracking could actually work to his advantage because he already has one skill that could beat anybody in the world on a given day, and a direct approach that violates many accepted modern MMA norms. You want him in those Maia vs. Matt Brown type fights as soon as possible imo

Pretty astute observation.

What I mean that a broomstick lands you on the back of the guy while if he just lifted him he would have to attack the turtle while his opponent scrambles back.

Well putting a guy down to turtle isn't a bad thing when you can punch him in the head; i agree having your hooks in right away (assuming he is on the ground, not trying to jump on while he's standing) can be advantageous though.

Last edited:
Well putting a guy down to turtle isn't a bad thing when you can punch him in the head; i agree having your hooks in right away (assuming he is on the ground, not trying to jump on while he's standing) can be advantageous though.

My point was that someone Kron gets a much bigger advantage from getting on the back of an unturtled opponent (which is what a broomstick gets him) than your average UFC fighter. So the reward for going for a harder move is a lot higher for him. I'm not sure if he is that above average on not letting a guy stand up from turtle.

The lighter weightclasses are way better for a guard heavy grappling style.
In bjj most sub 170 classes there is alot of guard jumping and pulling.

We have to wait and see how kron reacts to someone who can grind him a bit and put some heavy gnp on him.
Some grapplers can handle that and others cant.

But i suspect kron will be ready for it.

Kron had an aggressive and chaotic guard super submission oriented guard in BJJ so I would expect that trying to g&p his guard will be super risky.

Kron had an aggressive and chaotic guard super submission oriented guard in BJJ so I would expect that trying to g&p his guard will be super risky.

Yeah in grappling he has that, however he has never faced anyone like for example khabib.
I know its a different weightclass but i mean someone with that kind of style.
Someone who is almost impossible to sweep and just keeps the pressure combined with gnp.

I have no idea what would happen, would be fun if he goes full rickson and submits every one and get the title.

Yeah in grappling he has that, however he has never faced anyone like for example khabib.
I know its a different weightclass but i mean someone with that kind of style.
Someone who is almost impossible to sweep and just keeps the pressure combined with gnp.

I have no idea what would happen, would be fun if he goes full rickson and submits every one and get the title.

If he faced an opponent also with elite jiu jitsu say Ryan Hall or Garry Tonnon it would be interesting if they can beat him up from top.

As far as I can see nowadays people just avoid top grapplers guards like the ones of Maia or Werdum, for example. I'd be surprised if most of the elite guys, whenever Kron will fight them, would not do the same with him. Since not engaging it's an option it's far more simple to avoid it all than study ways to shut it etc., at least if we are talking about normal conditions..

Back