Kron Gracie

Ryo

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Yea... hes pretty good at JJ. Couldnt really tell a whole lot else in regards to other areas but...

Thoughts?

Great bjj, but very 1 dimensional. Think he will have similar trajectory to Maia, but won’t accomplish as much.
He’ll run through the lower level guys, the hit a wall when he hits the elite

Great bjj, but very 1 dimensional. Think he will have similar trajectory to Maia, but won’t accomplish as much.

he threw a couple of good power shots vs caceres, and legit wrestled his way to the back. also, his aggressively fundamental bjj style is tricky to train for, just like Maia's was-- his opponents will need to have very disciplined wrestling defense to avoid engaging Kron's closed guard.

He closed the distance well and dodged a shot and managed to get his back. The rest was easy after.

The big question is, will he be able to do it better strikers with better TD .

High dive/duck under is a good technique.

I don't really like that whole frontside grapevine of the leg a lot of bjj guys seem to try to do when they have the back on the feet; you want to attack the back angle, and thats the opposite of attacking the back angle, it's moving yourself back towards the front, actually.

If you have a bodylock from behind and you want to bring the guy to the mat, you take your leg on one side and bring it to their leg on the other; right to left, or left to right, and turn them over your hip. Just the same as if you were doing a step around/polish throw.

He should take pointers from his cousin Nieman Gracie, who is very good at this.

Last edited:

hqdefault.jpg

How could you possibly deduce that from a 2 minute fight where most of it was Kron going straight for the RNC unopposed?

Yea... hes pretty good at JJ. Couldnt really tell a whole lot else in regards to other areas but...

Thoughts?
Vintage old school BJJ for MMA/vale tudo

We'll see, just let him gaining more and more experience

hqdefault.jpg

How could you possibly deduce that from a 2 minute fight where most of it was Kron going straight for the RNC unopposed?
He had some previous fights where he was jumping closed guard.
But generally trying to determine someones career base on a couple initial fights seems to be bullshit.

Last edited:
High dive/duck under is a good technique.

I don't really like that whole frontside grapevine of the leg a lot of bjj guys seem to try to do when they have the back on the feet; you want to attack the back angle, and thats the opposite of attacking the back angle, it's moving yourself back towards the front, actually.

If you have a bodylock from behind and you want to bring the guy to the mat, you take your leg on one side and bring it to their leg on the other; right to left, or left to right, and turn them over your hip. Just the same as if you were doing a step around/polish throw.

He should take pointers from his cousin Nieman Gracie, who is very good at this.

I also don’t understand that, half hook with a gripevine is pulling you towards your opponents front, not back... I guess is to stop the guy from running away...

Thoughts?

He looked terrific, but the fight was so short that it didn't answer many questions. He dropped a nice 1-2 as he closed the distance and his wrestling looked solid. Caceres was doing the right things to defend the body lock, he's a seasoned vet, Kron was able to implement his game plan anyway. This was a very good win. His biggest problem most likely is that he's in arguably the deepest division in the UFC so he's not going to get much in the way of prospect fights. He'll end up fighting someone like Darren Elkins or Korean Zombie waaaaay too early in his career and get wrecked. He should probably be 5 fights away from a top 15 opponent, but if he wins one more I bet they throw him in with someone at the bottom of the top 15.

He looked terrific, but the fight was so short that it didn't answer many questions. He dropped a nice 1-2 as he closed the distance and his wrestling looked solid. Caceres was doing the right things to defend the body lock, he's a seasoned vet, Kron was able to implement his game plan anyway. This was a very good win. His biggest problem most likely is that he's in arguably the deepest division in the UFC so he's not going to get much in the way of prospect fights. He'll end up fighting someone like Darren Elkins or Korean Zombie waaaaay too early in his career and get wrecked. He should probably be 5 fights away from a top 15 opponent, but if he wins one more I bet they throw him in with someone at the bottom of the top 15.
My thoughts too. I hope they don't rush his progression.

Like you said the fight was too short to answer many questions but at least on the standup he didn't look uncomfortable or stiff. I'm not making any statements about his striking good or bad. But some BJJ guys look stiff or awkward when they throw shots and at least he looked loose and relaxed while throwing the 1 or 2 combos he threw. I think spending time with the Diaz brothers will help him a lot.

Just curious what do you think about Tonon's striking so far? And do you think Tonon could do okay in the UFC or too early to tell?

My thoughts too. I hope they don't rush his progression.

Like you said the fight was too short to answer many questions but at least on the standup he didn't look uncomfortable or stiff. I'm not making any statements about his striking good or bad. But some BJJ guys look stiff or awkward when they throw shots and at least he looked loose and relaxed while throwing the 1 or 2 combos he threw. I think spending time with the Diaz brothers will help him a lot.

Just curious what do you think about Tonon's striking so far? And do you think Tonon could do okay in the UFC or too early to tell?

I think Tonon moves way too much and does too much naked stance switching for no reason. I don't care much for how his striking seems to be developing, what little I've seen of Kron I like better. If Garry was more focused on just getting the fight to the ground and finishing I'd feel a lot better about his chances. The fact that he's lost some positions going for subs against low level competition is also worrying. He's not anywhere near UFC ready, though of course he still has plenty of time to develop.

Kron landed a nice shot down the middle. He looked overreactive at first on the feet, but maybe he was more comfortable than he looked, cause that two was clean and nice, and backed Caceres up.

I think Tonon moves way too much and does too much naked stance switching for no reason. I don't care much for how his striking seems to be developing, what little I've seen of Kron I like better. If Garry was more focused on just getting the fight to the ground and finishing I'd feel a lot better about his chances. The fact that he's lost some positions going for subs against low level competition is also worrying. He's not anywhere near UFC ready, though of course he still has plenty of time to develop.

Do you think tonon wouldn’t have wrecked Caceres too? I mean yeah I agree he’s been fucking around with his striking, but I kind of guessed he was just getting time in the cage, I think at this stage Gary fucks kron up, Gary carries some sick power on his punches

Kron landed a nice shot down the middle. He looked overreactive at first on the feet, but maybe he was more comfortable than he looked, cause that two was clean and nice, and backed Caceres up.

I think he was bating caeceres to get oveecinfident with his kind of nerdy stance, then good old Gracie stomp to body lock came up..

If Garry was more focused on just getting the fight to the ground and finishing I'd feel a lot better about his chances..
Trying to strike and connect it with takedowns rather then just being laser focused on a takedown seems like a better long term strategy. In the short term I would guess it's a lot worse as it gives more chances for crap opponents to connect with a lucky punch or something on the feet.

He's never going to be an elite striker - but how many MMA fighters are? Not many. They get good enough to force their A game on their opponents. Kron is dedicated and give him time before saying he'll falter as soon as he starts fighting the elite.

He's got 5 mma fights so he is obviously not going to look sharp or as well rounded.

Back