Kron Gracie criticises Online Belts, Gracie University, Rener and Ryron Gracie..

Well that's the point. "Blue belt knowledge" = meaningless. First because blue belt is almost nothing when it comes to skill, second because abstract 'knowledge' is nothing when it comes to combat sports. It's not a matter of learning lots of moves out of a book. It's a matter of have you fought for that ankle pick 1,000 times against a determined opponent.

Any normal blue belt will admit they know very little about BJJ, just the barest rudiments. I was no exception as a blue belt. And so I do agree with you that this level of knowledge -- almost nothing -- can likely be acquired through online training. But why would somebody bother paying for that? Only if they can be sold on a fantasy that BJJ is so overwhelmingly magical that even a sad online mimicry of 'knowledge' is still very valuable ... because a weak reflection of the form is still so magical and so real. Well, if you get awarded a belt that is. If you didn't get your special award, the GJJ product wouldn't really sell, because without getting a belt it would feel, you know, like a dumb scam.

And that's the irony, people say "well belts aren't a big deal," but at the same time this whole sham is about selling belts AS A BIG DEAL, because otherwise the product would sit and rot on the shelves. It's about pretending that getting your certification matters, and represents something truly valuable that you have achieved. If Rener was like 'yep, drilling moves is good, so do it, the end,' that'd be one thing. But where would the money be in that? How do you get somebody to give you a lot of money for that? So he's deliberately taking one of the saddest parts of BJJ, its TMA belt-chasing angle, and trying to bilk money out of that angle.

Why cant people just mind their own fucking business? im in the Ryron and Rener side here, they found a niche and they are doing ok, its not like they are selling blackbelts.
IMO they are just pissed at how good Ryron and Rener are doing.

Yes, they are selling an online course which you will have to travel at their academy for 1 week program for your final exam for their Black Belt.

Just to be clear though, no one is getting a black belt through this program.

why did they increase the "blue belt" and start a blue belkt stripes program

ad after that come to the academy and get a purple through another "test"

meanwhile a guy putting his effort actually in a the academy is sweating his ass off becoming a beast.

these gracie belts are a joke and anyone conned into believing them are being bullshitted to by two great sales men the bastard sons of rorion

pretty sure they stopped with the belt thing though

Nope,

they will award a technical blue belt online via video exam.

then you go to one of their registered Training Centre to get your "proper" blue belt.

Me thinks that their registered Training Centre is owned by one of their blue belt.

Nope,

they will award a technical blue belt online via video scam.

then you go to one of their registered Training Centre to get your "proper" blue belt.

Me thinks that their registered Training Centre is owned by one of their blue belt.

fixed

I can't believe people are actually defending this bullshit. There must be a lot of deluded LARPers here.

Here's a great story I heard from a friend of mine. First place he went to train was a GJJ academy owned by a blue belt who'd gotten his belt from GU. He wants to supplement what he is learning so he goes on youtube to watch some videos. Learns the basic cross collar choke from guard. Did you know the GU blue belt curriculum contains nothing about Gi Chokes or how to defend them? Well my buddy found out when he was sparring with his "teacher", he puts on the cross collar choke from guard, the teacher doesn't defend, doesn't even know to tap, and my friend chokes him unconscious in front of the whole class. Awkward.

Thats what you morons are defending.

hahahahaha

That's the problem. They aren't part of the "BJJ community." It's just another way to turn BJJ into a lame-ass TMA product, which is exactly what Gracie Jiu Jitsu (tm) has always wanted. It has happened 10000x before. The next step is always to broaden the circle of potential paying exploitees ... cough, cough, I mean spread the benefits of BJJ to everybody, even those who couldn't conceivably pose a combative threat to anyone. Because we're just pretending, after all, only the money is real.

I don't even know why it's a serious discussion, as if this isn't just crap marketing designed to take people's money. The only thing that matters is actually getting on a mat and beating your opponent. All the other stuff is a bunch of TMA wankery. For which, unfortunately, the market remains huge.

Well, there's always wrestling and boxing to keep it real. "I'm an online boxer!" See how dumb it sounds? But people rush to defend some gibberish marketing scheme for BJJ because it still has those TMA roots.

well, look how many people think that BJJ is just a service
well, if that is all it is then why give a fuck about having any standards

i mean, most people now train for whatever reason. back in the day when people trained bjj it was for fighting
now it is for fun or to lose weight or to snuggle with other dudes
why would these people give a fuck about online belts?

look at who is coming out against it and who is not

lets all be friendly and not hurt anyone's feelings

we have been trained to accept other people's psychosis. how is rener telling us that an online blue belt is a blue belt any different than letting some person who was born with XY chromosomes use the girls bathroom legally?

not enough people want to call "bullshit" anymore

I 100% agree with Kron.

If me and a couple buddies can buy the DVD's and get online...and train with each other in our garage, and get our blue belts......that's a scam. Its a disgrace to all the guys who toil away getting crushed by higher skilled guys in legit gyms.

not enough people want to call "bullshit" anymore

Exactly right. Its like applying to be an NFL head coach, and your resume says you won 10 Super Bowls on the Xbox Madden NFL game.

If I stage an MMA fight in my garage with my neighbor, and win, and put it online, can I count that as a 1-0 fight record? Nope.

There must be SOME legit standard for the fight sports and martial arts. Getting a belt online, without ever having to roll with a more experienced grappler, is a sham.

1.- Yes, it works at all, belts were supposed to be from an era where there was no competition, no certification, no nothing.
The belt system comes from judo, and you had to compete for them in in-house comps, besting people the same grade as you.

How can you type so well with Rener and Ryron's dicks down your throat?

think if u did not have access to quality jiu jitsu instruction... not everyone has a black belt in their area. Look how Evan Tanner started.

And why are people so concerned with blue belt integrity in BJJ?? lol

You can't get a black belt online.

Yes, they are selling an online course which you will have to travel at their academy for 1 week program for your final exam for their Black Belt.

but what comes in between getting your blue belt online and this 1 week to get your black belt. Im not familiar with the program but you arent telling the whole story, that much is obvious.

but what comes in between getting your blue belt online and this 1 week to get your black belt. Im not familiar with the program but you arent telling the whole story, that much is obvious.

For the first time ever, all the techniques required for promotion to black belt will be available online in the exact order and lesson format that you would experience in private lessons at the Gracie Academy. Through a revolutionary Video Evaluation Process, we will be able to monitor your progress, evaluate your skills, and provide you with invaluable feedback to help you prepare for official belt tests from anywhere in the world!

https://www.gracieuniversity.com/

think if u did not have access to quality jiu jitsu instruction... not everyone has a black belt in their area. Look how Evan Tanner started.

And why are people so concerned with blue belt integrity in BJJ?? lol

You can't get a black belt online.

well, it was all good story until...Renee went to Brasil and said in an interview that learning his program online was superior to training in a BJJ gym.

True story, Bro..

and since then, he is getting the ire of his relatives..first was Reylson and now Kron.

You just contradicted yourself.

This really bugs me. You basically had the option of assuming he is an idiot who trapped himself with his words or assuming that he has a substantial idea worth adressing... and then hunting for his point and addressing it. Why discuss anything if you're not going to be thoughtful?

And if someone went up to brown SOLELY online, then went to a school one day and hung with that school's black belts who ONLY trained there, then that would be pretty incredible huh? So if that was possible, what would it matter?

Has this ever happened in front of your eyes? People like Evan Tanner and Jeremy Horn are one in several million and I doubt even they were self-taught brown belts who could hang with blacks on their first attempt. It's always impressive when well-instructed browns hang with blacks, let alone if it happened with self-taught browns.

For better or worse, they are promoting that people who live in far off reaches of America and the world to get together, buy a mat, train and experiment with BJJ through their video courses. I don't see what the problem is? They are not saying they will make world class ADCC champs via Youtube vids are they?

If they really wanted to spread BJJ to those who couldn't attend academies because of their far-off locations (and if they wanted to avoid criticism and truly uphold the learning of BJJ to it's highest available standard) they would turn away online students who have access to academies near them. We both know they're not doing that, so your statement that they're promoting to people who live in far-off reaches of the globe is a half-truth at best.

The BJJ community is weird. There's on face of it that craps on belt arts then a whole other side that go "OMG that person isn't a REAL black belt!!!!!"

And here you're being deliberately dense. If you've opened your eyes anywhere in the training you claim to have done, you'll see that purples and sometimes even blues are encouraged to teach BJJ in the right circumstances, but all BJJ people place a huge importance on lineage. And if you don't understand why, Google Ari Bolden. Or any one of the thousands of frauds who tried to teach BJJ (or any art) under false pretenses.

I don't even have a problem with the online courses, your post just rubbed me the wrong way. Deliberately dense.

For the first time ever, all the techniques required for promotion to black belt will be available online in the exact order and lesson format that you would experience in private lessons at the Gracie Academy. Through a revolutionary Video Evaluation Process, we will be able to monitor your progress, evaluate your skills, and provide you with invaluable feedback to help you prepare for official belt tests from anywhere in the world!

https://www.gracieuniversity.com/

so u can do every belt online and then u just do a seminar to get your blackbelt? So literally 1 week in person with your instructor and who knows how many weeks online and u get a black belt?? Im gonna read that web site but I find it hard to believe.

Basically you are telling me Ryron and Rener will give you a blackbelt after only knowing you for one week but their computers say you did the courses? i mean wow, just wow, do i have that right? xD

To each his own. But lineage and grinding in a gym with lots of guys who are better than you, and of course, competition....to me are the truest tests of belt rank.

Our instructor (black belt out of Recife, Brazil) doesn't "test". He watches you roll, in particular with more experienced guys. He encourages you to compete. And then he periodically will jump in and roll with you to see how you "feel". He says when you feel and look like a blue belt, you'll become a blue belt. And so on for the other ranks.

I'm not gonna say a D1 wrestler cant get an online blue belt and then come beat me. Maybe he can. I just don't trust the online promotion thing. Starts to reek of McDojos in karate that will literally sell you a belt or just put a class attendance quota, at which point you get a belt. Great business model? Sure. Great for keeping the integrity of a belt ranking system? Not so much in my opinion.

so u can do every belt online and then u just do a seminar to get your blackbelt? So literally 1 week in person with your instructor and who knows how many weeks online and u get a black belt?? Im gonna read that web site but I find it hard to believe.

Basically you are telling me Ryron and Rener will give you a blackbelt after only knowing you for one week but their computers say you did the courses? i mean wow, just wow, do i have that right? xD

Gracie University "Technical Blue Belts" for Online Students

In the video below, Ryron and Rener discuss a modification to the Gracie University belt promotion process. Effective June 1, 2014, students who complete the Gracie Combatives program from home, and pass the Blue Belt Test via the Video Evaluation Process, will earn a Gracie University Technical Blue Belt. To earn the Official Gracie Academy Blue Belt, students must pass an extended hands-on evaluation with Ryron, Rener, or an authorized Gracie Academy representative at a Certified Training Center. Listed below are some of the frequently asked questions regarding the new blue belt promotion process.

As before, promotion to purple belt and brown belt require an in person evaluation with an authorized Gracie Academy representative, and black belt promotion requires successful completion of a one-week live evaluation at Gracie Academy headquarters in Torrance, California.
https://www.gracieuniversity.com/Information/BeltPromotionProcess.aspx

Gracie University "Technical Blue Belts" for Online Students

In the video below, Ryron and Rener discuss a modification to the Gracie University belt promotion process. Effective June 1, 2014, students who complete the Gracie Combatives program from home, and pass the Blue Belt Test via the Video Evaluation Process, will earn a Gracie University Technical Blue Belt. To earn the Official Gracie Academy Blue Belt, students must pass an extended hands-on evaluation with Ryron, Rener, or an authorized Gracie Academy representative at a Certified Training Center. Listed below are some of the frequently asked questions regarding the new blue belt promotion process.

As before, promotion to purple belt and brown belt require an in person evaluation with an authorized Gracie Academy representative, and black belt promotion requires successful completion of a one-week live evaluation at Gracie Academy headquarters in Torrance, California.
https://www.gracieuniversity.com/Information/BeltPromotionProcess.aspx

i see what ur saying but this doesnt really spell out the curriculum or what is involved when visiting the instructor. I honestly dont think anyone has gotten a blackbelt like this. You never hear of anyone that got their belt this way.

probably everytime people come and visit the academy for their belt tests, is it not conceivable some people fail?

is their pass rate 100%

i honestly dont think we have the whole story on this

Hmm. The new process with in-person evaluations sound better.

But I just put all my faith in the tried and true process of grinding it out in a gym with lots of guys who are better, until you get better, and having a high ranking guy watching you in person and rolling with you for years during the whole process.

Back