Kron Gracie criticises Online Belts, Gracie University, Rener and Ryron Gracie..

He knew about this before M3 though so I don't think it would effect that

Why not just do away with belts period?

wrestling has no belts, sambo has no belts, Boxing has no belts, muay thai has no belts

If you go online see some techniques, and then go to open mats, and try them out, and get better, it does not matter.
they have no belts but they all have different levels of competition you enter. Wrestling is not done as hobby like BJJ, it's strictly for competition and a D3 wrestler isn't competing against a D1 level wrestler

what?

its totally different man.

1. boxing doesn't have a belt system like most TMA's so that doesn't work at all.

2. Belts are a way of ranking, go to a BJJ gym and roll with a white/blue then a purple or higher. there is a BIG difference (most of the time)

3. Its a sense of achievement to alot of people. It takes alot of time and effort.

4. "Belts are just a piece of cloth" well a degree would just be a piece of paper then too right?
see what I am saying?

There are other things too but, don't simply hate on something when you have no idea about it.

1.- Yes, it works at all, belts were supposed to be from an era where there was no competition, no certification, no nothing. A judo blackbelt (the original belt) means shit nowadays, because you have referee certification, competitor rankings, etc etc.

2.- Really? so an average brown belt that has trained 3 times a week for 10 years should be beating the purple belt world champs?

3.- time and effort = paying your dues for several years.

4.- Except that "piece of paper" are usually standarized and structured, belts are given for a million reasons in a very subjective manner.

5.- You are the one who probably has no idea about it having trained only BJJ and seeing the world with BJJ glasses, so dont bring boxing into it.

Looks like royce is having a dig at gracie university Torrance too

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
1.- Yes, it works at all, belts were supposed to be from an era where there was no competition, no certification, no nothing. A judo blackbelt (the original belt) means shit nowadays, because you have referee certification, competitor rankings, etc etc.

2.- Really? so an average brown belt that has trained 3 times a week for 10 years should be beating the purple belt world champs?

3.- time and effort = paying your dues for several years.

4.- Except that "piece of paper" are usually standarized and structured, belts are given for a million reasons in a very subjective manner.

5.- You are the one who probably has no idea about it having trained only BJJ and seeing the world with BJJ glasses, so dont bring boxing into it.

99% sure you are trolling but in the 1% you are not I will address this.

1. A judo Black belt to me means, this guy/girl is a badass who has mastered judo.

2. See my (most of the time) in my original post. Of course a Sick Purple could beat even black belts.

3. troll , time and effort put on the mat is not the same as just dumping money on your instructor.

4. not really, most bjj belts are usually standardized under the IBJJF. Or some set of curriculum outlined by the teacher (or school)
and no belts are not given away like candy and if they are, you are at a mcdojo and should leave. unless your into that sort of thing.

5. what? All i said was Boxing is not a TMA per say. I am confused...

Last edited:
What is the point of an online bjj belt? So you can add it to your resume or something? Surely nobody is planning to compete or teach (god forbid) without having received proper training.

How many times are people going to bring up this same argument when it has already been explained that these people are actually practicing in real life? They're not just watching a video. Everyone doing this course has at least one partner and a mat. If you're saying you can't learn with a video instructional, a partner, and a mat, you are seriously misguided. I know more than one person who became very good at BJJ before every stepping into a BJJ class. Two of which are now at the brown belt level. Just because you or someone else cannot learn through this method does not mean it's impossible to learn this way.

I know someone else in this thread has already mentioned it, but specific drilling with just 2 people and a video can sometimes be more beneficial than going to a group class.

"Not impossible" is not the right standard. It's not impossible that doing double leg drills in my garage all day, without actually being part of a competitive team, will be 'beneficial' at some level. It's not impossible that throwing 1-2 combos at a heavy bag in your garage has some benefits. So why don't we see people paying money to do that online? Because it's not a product. Nobody would pay money for it. It has no fantasy element that could sustain it. You're still just some sweaty dude popping 1-2s at a heavy bag in your garage, and nobody is going to confuse that with being a boxer in any real sense. Or send money to an online guru who will teach you the Pure Way of hitting the heavy bag, and then certify online that you are Platinum Tier.

So how do you get people to pay *real* money for what amounts to LARPing? Not easy. You create a fantasy and a cult of personality, and an "award" for completing the master's program. Where any amount of the "pure Gracie jiu jitsu" is so wondrously valuable that it's worth paying for even a dim reflection of the pure stream that flows from Rener's .... Not as good as real training, but still this is "Gracie jiu jitsu" so it's still worth doing, and totally isn't as retarded as paying for "Mike Tyson Online Boxing -- Platinum Level Achievement."

99% sure you are trolling but in the 1% you are not I will address this.

2. See my (most of the time) in my original post. Of course a Sick Purple could beat even black belts.

3. troll , time and effort put on the mat is not the same as just dumping money on your instructor.

4. not really, most bjj belts are usually standardized under the IBJJF. Or some set of curriculum outlined by the teacher (or school)
and no belts are not given away like candy and if they are, you are at a mcdojo and should leave. unless your into that sort of thing.

5. what? All i said was Boxing is not a TMA per say. I am confused...

2.- So what does the belt means? its a ranking or what exactly?

3.- BS, no instructor would promote someone after 1 week, even if that someone were destroying everyone.

4.- LOL, they are not standarized, only time in.

5.- Online boxer is a BS term you coined, you can definitively learn about boxing online, but you are not a boxer unless you go up in the ring and fight, AKA as compete.

they have no belts but they all have different levels of competition you enter. Wrestling is not done as hobby like BJJ, it's strictly for competition and a D3 wrestler isn't competing against a D1 level wrestler

Is that what belts are originally for?

But the college ranks is the elite. If you look at high school levels and below, which is the vast majority of people who wrestle. You most certainly get mismatches every other match

In fact this is true for every sport in the US outside the elite, and professional levels.

by the way, none of this backlash from family members would've occurred had Rener and Ryron shared their profits or at least put them on their payroll.

Had they done that, the family members would've been singing another tune or stayed quiet.

Rener and Ryron should take a lesson on how to grow an empire. You don't do that by alienating people.

I can't believe people are actually defending this bullshit. There must be a lot of deluded LARPers here.

Here's a great story I heard from a friend of mine. First place he went to train was a GJJ academy owned by a blue belt who'd gotten his belt from GU. He wants to supplement what he is learning so he goes on youtube to watch some videos. Learns the basic cross collar choke from guard. Did you know the GU blue belt curriculum contains nothing about Gi Chokes or how to defend them? Well my buddy found out when he was sparring with his "teacher", he puts on the cross collar choke from guard, the teacher doesn't defend, doesn't even know to tap, and my friend chokes him unconscious in front of the whole class. Awkward.

Thats what you morons are defending.

by the way, none of this backlash from family members would've occurred had Rener and Ryron shared their profits or at least put them on their payroll.

Had they done that, the family members would've been singing another tune or stayed quiet.

Rener and Ryron should take a lesson on how to grow an empire. You don't do that by alienating people.

This. The whole thing is just about money, money, money, and it's embarrassing that anybody takes it seriously as something beyond that.

once you take the money, you have to shut up. By taking the money, you basically condone the behavior. By taking the money, you're forever Rener and Ryron's bitch.

Because Rener and Ryron are so greedy, they did not employ this oldest political strategy known to man.

Fucking amateurs.

A recent saying if you're working in China, if you made a lot of money (or give the impression you made a lot of money), you better have already paid off the people around you or you're fucked.

Kron is a fucking boss and more legit than the Torrence guys will ever be.

In fact I think Kron is more legit than his old man.

"Not impossible" is not the right standard. It's not impossible that doing double leg drills in my garage all day, without actually being part of a competitive team, will be 'beneficial' at some level. It's not impossible that throwing 1-2 combos at a heavy bag in your garage has some benefits. So why don't we see people paying money to do that online? Because it's not a product. Nobody would pay money for it. It has no fantasy element that could sustain it. You're still just some sweaty dude popping 1-2s at a heavy bag in your garage, and nobody is going to confuse that with being a boxer in any real sense. Or send money to an online guru who will teach you the Pure Way of hitting the heavy bag, and then certify online that you are Platinum Tier.

So how do you get people to pay *real* money for what amounts to LARPing? Not easy. You create a fantasy and a cult of personality, and an "award" for completing the master's program. Where any amount of the "pure Gracie jiu jitsu" is so wondrously valuable that it's worth paying for even a dim reflection of the pure stream that flows from Rener's .... Not as good as real training, but still this is "Gracie jiu jitsu" so it's still worth doing, and totally isn't as retarded as paying for "Mike Tyson Online Boxing -- Platinum Level Achievement."

No one is claiming to raise to the level of world champion through an online program. We're talking about blue belt level knowledge, if you don't think that can be learned through instructionals and private drilling you're incredibly ignorant. As I've already mentioned before, many people have become very good at BJJ through self taught methods.

And I'm not debating what Rener's motivations for starting the thing were. No one starts any business for any purpose other than to make money, so saying this is all about the money is ridiculous in it's own right because of course it is. I'm debating the merits of it, and it's entirely possible to raise to the level that they claim if the program is done right

Is that what belts are originally for?

I am not 100% sure. But the Japanese i think only had 2 belts or very few belts between beginner (white) and master (black).

But when they started teaching in europe they noticed that most europeans appreciated more levels in between to show they were advancing.

I think before belts were between beginners and master levels only but as the years went on more got put in between.

Oh, he lost it? When was it?

I know that Kron knows Helio's philosophy. It's just that the joke cracked me up.

Back when he sued Carley. The jury found that Rorion's GJJ trademark wasn't valid, but Carley did owe Rorion money for using the Gracie triangle logo.

Back