krill oil

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by Ghostdogg, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Ghostdogg

Ghostdogg Blue Belt

i here nothing but good things about it anyone know anything about it

2. CoreCanyon

CoreCanyon Geez, lots of new people.

The Paleolithic Solution – Episode 38

A link to Robb Wolf's podcast. It's a paleo podcast, so take that into consideration, but about 20 mins into it he talks about Krill oil (and not in just a paleo sense).

Some people on this board won't like that it comes from a paleo site/guy, but it's a different reference for what you will find other places, and you will probably get the same answer here.

3. Ghostdogg

Ghostdogg Blue Belt

wow not to much abou this huh

4. Todd Gack

Todd Gack Dutch

Looking at the Krill oil products available it seems like you're not getting a whole lot of Omega 3's per serving. It just doesn't seem cost productive. Also not the best choice for people who are allergic to shell fish.

Regarding Omega 3 supplementation, the only things of interest of seen lately are some people claiming that we should all be taking more DHA than EPA.

5. quik77

quik77 Yellow Belt

the short version:

for omega 3s:
    Krill oil dha/epa is absorbed at about 90-100% (so if it says 90mg dha, your body actually gets 80-90mg of dha) for comparison, natural fish oil is like 60%, and molecularly distilled is like 20%, however this is further complicated by if you take the fish oil with a fatty meal (study was like 40g of fat in the meal before) the natural fish oil becomes 90% absorption and the distilled becomes 60%. so even distill fish oil is more cost effective especially if you take it with a fatty meal. also if you take both together they also help each other absorb apparently.

for cholesterol/lipids:
    an inital dose of 1.5-3g per day than a maintenance does of about 500mg -1 g out performs every single thing on the market by 40-50%, so if you want to get your parents off statins, its does a heck of a lot more than they do or fish oil does for them with no nasty side effects (unless you are allergic to krill/shrimp).

general mental stuff (adhd, depression):
    seems to help me at least compared to meds I've been on but its very hard to quantify

skin:
    the stuff in krill oil has apparently helped people who sunburn easily not to sunburn, but I always tan not burn so again thats second hand.

antioxidents:
    the astaxanthin in krill oil (which is also supposed to help with the skin stuff) apprently is one of the few natural ones that crosses the blood/brain barrier

pain:
    almost the same as fish oil in that 2 weeks of taking every day pretty much negates any need for nsaids, low grade chronic pain tends to go away (most noticeable for me has been migraines and carpal I did take nsaids for before)

spoilage:
    krill oil tends to have its own antioxidants and whatnot in it and not spoil like fish oil can as far as I can tell this is true.

price point:
    Krill oil is way expensive than cheapo distilled fish oil, and is a little less or on par with the more expensive or natural/whole fish oil pills (nordic naturals, wholemega etc..)

I basically started getting them because the pills were smaller so my GF would take them, now I tend to take 1 krill + 5-6 fish oil pills a day, and because of the other claimed benefits, so primarily you take it for the other benefits not for the straight dha/epa.

slightly longer overview Krill Oil - What You Need to Know About Krill Oil and hereWhy krill oil? | The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.

6. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/scam-alert-krill-oil-933350/
    http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/mark-sisson-krill-oil-654689/

Krill Oil has two things going for it: antioxidant content and (supposedly) better used EPA/DHA.

As far as antioxidants, we don't look at fish oil in the context of antioxidant supplementation, so it is rather disingenuous to bring antioxidants into a fish oil/krill oil comparison. It would be like damning steak for for not having the antioxidant content of blueberries, and damning blueberries for being a poor source of protein. It's just a warped way of evaluating a food.

As far as the EPA/DHA being better utilized, I have a hard time getting excited about that. First, fish oil is still FAR more cost-effective. That is to say, even if the EPA/DHA in fish oil isn't absorbed/used as efficiently as krill oil, you can just take more very inexpensively. Not so with krill oil.

Second, there is far more research on the effectiveness, safety, and usage of fish oil. That's not say that krill oil is dangerous or ineffective. My point is, why pay a lot of money in a somewhat speculative attempt to fix what isn't broken?