Krav Maga defenses from underneath?

"Yet still if you look at it, a lot of women don't actually scream or do what they supposedly know how to do in the situation. It's because they learned from a stupid 60 minute seminar or something else like that and thought that was enough"

Now you are just being ignorant and rude. Women don't scream and fight back because they went to a selfdefence class?

This will be my last replay since you already have decided that you believe all selfdefence that isn't trained for years is complete garbage. You have not convinced me by refering to everything I say as "stupid", "scam", "joke" etc. I still believe little training is better than no training all. Most people are much better grapplers after only two months, same goes with boxing.

"Yet still if you look at it, a lot of women don't actually scream or do what they supposedly know how to do in the situation. It's because they learned from a stupid 60 minute seminar or something else like that and thought that was enough"

Now you are just being ignorant and rude. Women don't scream and fight back because they went to a selfdefence class?

This will be my last replay since you already have decided that you believe all selfdefence that isn't trained for years is complete garbage. You have not convinced me by refering to everything I say as "stupid", "scam", "joke" etc. I still believe little training is better than no training all. Most people are much better grapplers after only two months, same goes with boxing.

It is not that going to the self-defense class causes it. It is that it just doesn't actually help change anything in reality, although in the minds of the people being sold on this stuff they are now prepared. A one day seminar is not nearly enough time to train the instincts and reactions necessary to defend yourself under pressure.

Hey folks. I'm the grappling forums resident KM black belt. Moni's version sounds like nothing I have ever seen in the system.

In fact, sounds like nothing I would ever want to try for SD, ju jits, wrestling, or judo for that matter.

And for those that don't see the effectiveness, okay!

I have students, male/female, big/small, civilian/LEO, who have used techniques in real time, and it helped them get home safe/apprehend suspects. I have a guy and a women right now going through LEO academies. Had a guy recently go through Marine OCS in Quantico. They all say their KM training has helped them stand out in the crowd, in a good way.

They get it, it works for them, and that's mostly what matters for me. Guess we'll agree to disagree.

Even some of my ju jits compadres hit me up to learn it from time to time. Just like anything else, there is good KM and bad KM.

Sucks if some of you are not exposed to good Krav.

I don't really have any objections to good Krav Maga as you say. Just the crappy quick fix systems being sold and discussed in this thread.

Since you have a black belt and speak of training, I assume you have trained your Krav Maga on a regular basis as a martial art. That gives you the experience necessary to use the techniques under pressure if required.

Anything that is trained regularly with resistance over a significant period of time (about a year on average I'd say to start getting decently effective) will be able to be used. My point in this thread was why spend the year training silly techniques like discussed when you can train better techniques instead. From your comments it seems like you agree with me there too.

The argument brought up against me was that the silly techniques can be learned in minutes. That delusion is even worse than the technique itself. It takes regular practice to be able to react under severe pressure and stress without freezing up.

Whether you are going to react with BJJ, Muay Thai, Krav Maga, Kali, Kung Fu, etc., it doesn't matter. You need to practice your reactions until they are instinctive. That can't happen in such an incredibly short period of time as a single day.

That's a great video that really illustrates my point. Paul is a JKD guy just like me.

Notice how he doesn't teach biting as a simple trick that can be learned in a few minutes. He stresses that learning how to bite properly takes a lot of practice, demonstrates drills with which to regularly practice biting, and then simulates it as realistically as possible to prove the concept.

I have no doubts that Paul could make bites work in reality. He has spent a significant amount of time training his bites against realistic scenarios and full resistance. It is also no surprise that Paul has been involved in BJJ to some degree since the 80s. He was in fact one of the earliest guys in JKD to really start exposing people to BJJ.

There is a huge difference between the type of training you see in that video and the type of training sold to the masses as women's self-defense seminars, etc.

What is the main advantage of this technique that justifies using it over a better type of escape?

Krav Maga escape technique: Does not work against tough opponents; works good against clueless opponents

BJJ escape technique: Works good against tough opponents; works awesome against clueless opponents

Since I don't see a major advantage to doing something like this versus a more traditional escape, I would laugh at it if I saw it demonstrated. Even if it might work against a clueless opponent, that does not make it a good technique. Random wild haymakers might work against clueless opponents too, but they are still bad technique by the same line of reasoning.

I agree with this. If I had the mount on somebody and they try to reach for my head, I postuer up and grab ahold of one of their arms for a submission or for control.

This head twisting technique might work on a clueless opponent, but on anybody else, it wont work at all

I don't really have any objections to good Krav Maga as you say. Just the crappy quick fix systems being sold and discussed in this thread.

Since you have a black belt and speak of training, I assume you have trained your Krav Maga on a regular basis as a martial art. That gives you the experience necessary to use the techniques under pressure if required.

Anything that is trained regularly with resistance over a significant period of time (about a year on average I'd say to start getting decently effective) will be able to be used. My point in this thread was why spend the year training silly techniques like discussed when you can train better techniques instead. From your comments it seems like you agree with me there too.

The argument brought up against me was that the silly techniques can be learned in minutes. That delusion is even worse than the technique itself. It takes regular practice to be able to react under severe pressure and stress without freezing up.

Whether you are going to react with BJJ, Muay Thai, Krav Maga, Kali, Kung Fu, etc., it doesn't matter. You need to practice your reactions until they are instinctive. That can't happen in such an incredibly short period of time as a single day.

I agree with Balto.....I believe resistance training is neccesary to be good in any martial art. I myself not only train and teach BJJ but I train in Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Muay Thai so I could be well rounded and ready to adapt to any situation. Shit I even train and teach combat shooting as well. Training with resistance is the key for the body to react under pressure when the shit hits the fan.

Back