Kovalev's chin is weak.

CastletonSnob

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but I think Kovalev has a weak chin. He was KOed in the amateurs, dropped by Darnell Boone, rocked and stopped by featherfisted Ward, and knocked out cold by Alvarez.

Fuck, didn't mean to make this thread twice.

I don't think he has a weak chin

I think that getting hit flush by light heavyweights who have been boxing professionally for years will hurt anyone.

Another poster made a great post about Kov fighting like a fencer - and lost his composure and just started throwing and got caught.
I'd agree with that.

I hate to say it, but I think Kovalev has a weak chin. He was KOed in the amateurs, dropped by Darnell Boone, rocked and stopped by featherfisted Ward, and knocked out cold by Alvarez.

What people like you need to do is stop making threads about fighters having weak chins just because they get knocked out

BTW Ward stopped Kovalev with body shots and last night he was not out cold, he was very fatigued and left himself wide open(not taking anything away from Alvarez), some fighters simply lose their ability to take punches over the years

I would say weak defense and endurance is more appropriate.

Didn't Blake Caparello drop him with a body shot in the 1st round?

I think the only person fight fans can agree has a weak chin is Khan. Other than that it's "well anyone will get dropped getting hit square by a grown man" etc.

Well weak is relative and so by definition a significant portion of fighters have weak chins.

I dont think hes overly durable, but I think hes got bad conditioning which plays a big part in it.

He got hit flush while he was getting lazier from slowing down, then got up from the canvas with plenty of time left to be destroyed by two flushly landed combinations, and then still wasn't out dead cold on the canvas. Not the worst chin, but maybe not the chin we thought he had.

I dont think hes overly durable, but I think hes got bad conditioning which plays a big part in it.
you know, it's weird. I remember watching early Kov and thinking "man, this guy seems to have pretty good stamina." He wasn't Pac, but I remember being impressed with his workrate and ability to keep going over long fights. I think he has a hard time controlling his pacing and when he isn't in his rythm it seems to really bother him.

I'm not sure I'd say Kov is glass chinned. He seems to have a fairly average chin, but he definitely has the bully mentality.

Ha ent seen it yet but NOBODY was giving Alvarez a chance. After allowing himself to be bypassed for title shots he finally has his moment in the sun.

Sounds like it was a cracker!

you know, it's weird. I remember watching early Kov and thinking "man, this guy seems to have pretty good stamina." He wasn't Pac, but I remember being impressed with his workrate and ability to keep going over long fights. I think he has a hard time controlling his pacing and when he isn't in his rythm it seems to really bother him.

I'm not sure I'd say Kov is glass chinned. He seems to have a fairly average chin, but he definitely has the bully mentality.
Thats a solid assessment. When its going Kova’s way he doesnt seem to have a problem with his tank.

He was rocked by pascal too. He’s not that durable. Kinda wirey and doesn’t look strong in the clinch either.

I think kovs conditioning and endurance plays a bigger part in it tbh

but that shouldn't really be surprising, should it?

people act as if conditioning is an entirely natural gift, and not mostly the product of really hard work. i think kovalev now is in much worse shape for his fights than he was before ward, i feel like he just doesn't have the same drive in him. he doesn't work as hard in training, he isn't as durable as he was, and so he gets put down by shots that wouldn't hurt him (or even land on him) if he wasn't tired and sloppy.

also, alvarez looked like he was several weight classes bigger. sergei was just soft and pudgy, and alvarez is built like a truck.

You realize you only gave four examples in a career of over 200 amateur and 40 professional fights right? You make him sound like a glass canon, the Russian David Price of the light heavyweight division that just happened to stumbled into becoming a multiple title holder.

You realize you only gave four examples in a career of over 200 amateur and 40 professional fights right? You make him sound like a glass canon, the Russian David Price of the light heavyweight division that just happened to stumbled into becoming a multiple title holder.

His chin's not as bad as Price's, not even close. But it's not great either.

Kovalev doesn't have a bad chin at all, he's got your good chin, that has been hit by superior talented champion boxers like Ward and now Alvarez.

Kovalev has the same chin as Andre Ward, Floyd and other great world champions in boxing, it's just that the others like Ward and Floyd use defensive techniques to hid their chins and not get hit flush and when hurt badly unlike Kovalev they recover and use defense, to not get knocked out or stopped.

Now your other iron chin boxers like Evander and Tex Cobbs are a different story and your china chinned fighters are totally different from your Floyd"s and Ward"s and Kovalev"s.

Kovalev has the same chin as other all time great champions and if his chin was china and glass, he would've lasted that long as world champion and other top notch world class boxers would've already stopped him, like i said he's got your Andre Ward / Mayweather solid chins, but unlike him they use defensive techniques to not get hurt constantly and not get stopped or knocked out and Kovalev doesn't have these defensive techniques and doesn't bother to hire certain trainers to help him develop them in training.

Maybe his old trainer actually helped him defensively to avoid getting hurt badly and these newer trainers don't help .

Also conditioning plays a part in weak legs and not receiving from a power shot and his old conditioning and strength traner also said he's incredibly lazy and Kovalev said he actually drinks while in training camp, if true or not true, this might be the reason he's getting stopped in fights nowadays and has poor conditioning, but not drinking and still being lazy, isn't going to fix poor defensive techniques and getting hit flush, because everyone can get knocked out.

Just look at his abdominal core muscles during his last fight weight-in against Alvarez and you will see why he can't take body punches and doesn't put in the correct solid abdominal exercise he should be doing and then look at Floyd"s abdominal core in his weigh-ins and you will see the correct muscle core and constant correct strength training and conditioning it takes to get solid abdominal muscles.

Kovalev is lazy and doesn't put in the correct champions work in camp, to stay world champion and defensive techniques to not get knocked out, he thought his punching power would save him in every fight and knock everyone out and now it's come back to bit him in the ass.

He was rocked by pascal too. He’s not that durable. Kinda wirey and doesn’t look strong in the clinch either.

Hopkins was to, this means nothing, these are top notch world clas boxers, they rock and hurt each other all the time, it means nothing and they basically all have the same chins, but it's their defense and conditioning that saves some from the others, just like Andre Ward and his chin problem everyone said he had going against Kovalev.

Thats a solid assessment. When its going Kova’s way he doesnt seem to have a problem with his tank.
I'd agree with this.
He looked fine over 12 relatively easy rounds against Hopkins, didn't have to do anything extra. Had a good plan and it worked well.

Ward made him work more than he was used to twice and not that he was as fatigued in the first fight it was more than he wanted to deal with. Alvarez gave him trouble early and he thought he could get him out of there probably in 4 or 5 and when that didn't work he didn't really have much else to fall back on.

During the Alvarez fight, Roy Jones said if Kovalev got in trouble without John David Jackson in his corner, he wouldn't really have a way out and I don't think he was wrong about that assessment.

I wonder if it's more of a mental thing than a cardio issues with him

Let's not confuse chin with stamina and mental fortitude.

Kovalev is there to do a job now and to collect a check for putting the next stars over. He will make some good money doing it because he has a name but I hope he cashes out soon because its only going to get worse for him.

Back