KOTOR Remake Announced + Teaser *UPDATE* It appears canceled

I really didn't have high hopes for this but seeing that the Dev for this recently released a Kotor II Port where it's literally impossible to beat and has no timeline on a patch to fix it makes me feel like this will be a dumpster fire.

Heh I kinda considered getting KOTOR 2 on my Switch (bought the first one), then saw articles mentioning that game breaking bug. Pretty decent fuck up if you ask me.

Is that regarding the Switch version? I think it launched without the patch fixes right? Are they even allowed to sell the game with the unofficial patch?

I'm playing through KOTOR 2 on my Steam Deck right now. Thankfully it's just as easy to install the fan patch/fix. What an amazing game!

Yeah, the Switch version. Can't believe a modern release could be put out with a bug that makes it so nobody can finish the game.

And yeah KOTOR 2 is an incredible game if you ignore the bugs or download the community patches. Probably beaten it 6-10 times. So much fun, super dark, fantastic villains, powers feel so epic, all the choices and paths you can take, and training up your squadmates.

Yeah, the Switch version. Can't believe a modern release could be put out with a bug that makes it so nobody can finish the game.

And yeah KOTOR 2 is an incredible game if you ignore the bugs or download the community patches. Probably beaten it 6-10 times. So much fun, super dark, fantastic villains, powers feel so epic, all the choices and paths you can take, and training up your squadmates.
I just put it down, had a fun little session, about to leave Telos station. This is my second full playthrough attempt with the fixes/fan patches. I never finished the first one, got near the end I think. My cloud save never carried over properly on my new computer at the time. My hard drive died on the older one. I lost a good 60 hours. I played it when it first launched on my Xbox I think, but it was broken.

I'm playing a Jedi Consular this time, going for maximum persuade/charisma/force powers. I just love the character building, for us and our squadmates. I love the choices you can make and the dialogue options you can unlock. It's so addictive getting into locked doors/compartments. Atton is my thief, as always lol

What's your fav class?

I just put it down, had a fun little session, about to leave Telos station. This is my second full playthrough attempt with the fixes/fan patches. I never finished the first one, got near the end I think. My cloud save never carried over properly on my new computer at the time. My hard drive died on the older one. I lost a good 60 hours. I played it when it first launched on my Xbox I think, but it was broken.

I'm playing a Jedi Consular this time, going for maximum persuade/charisma/force powers. I just love the character building, for us and our squadmates. I love the choices you can make and the dialogue options you can unlock. It's so addictive getting into locked doors/compartments. Atton is my thief, as always lol

What's your fav class?

Always read that the more extreme classes were the way to go. Personally always would go force user 1st because you bank more force points, then weapons for advanced class.

This reddit thread breaks it down better than I've ever seen it by stats and ranks the best combos:

Is that regarding the Switch version? I think it launched without the patch fixes right? Are they even allowed to sell the game with the unofficial patch?

I'm playing through KOTOR 2 on my Steam Deck right now. Thankfully it's just as easy to install the fan patch/fix. What an amazing game!

How is the steamdeck?

Always read that the more extreme classes were the way to go. Personally always would go force user 1st because you bank more force points, then weapons for advanced class.

This reddit thread breaks it down better than I've ever seen it by stats and ranks the best combos:

Awesome, thanks man!

How is the steamdeck?

I had some serious buyers remorse at first, now I can't imagine not having it. I built a pretty beastly PC a few months ago (well, my buddy put it together, and a few gem posters on here helped me pick parts lol) but I'm spending far more time on the Deck. It's nice to not be tethered to my couch/desk/house. That's what I loved about the switch.

For the Switch though, I always felt the screen was a bit too small. You wouldn't think an inch is much different (7 for Deck vs 6.2 for Switch), but it really is, to me at least. I hope the Switch 2 has a 7 inch screen right out of the gate, and an oled option like they do now (also 7 inches).

I wrote more about it in the Steam Deck thread. It really is a dream machine, and probably the best introduction to PC gaming out there. If you only stay in the Steam ecosystem, it's a total console friendly experience if you want it to be just that. Tinkering with framerates and power draws to save battery life and improve performance is really intuitive too.

So, it's a star wars RPG with a new script. Essentially being a new game. Why not make a new game?

So, it's a star wars RPG with a new script. Essentially being a new game. Why not make a new game?

Yea I could understand if another lesser known series did this but a Star Wars game automatically brings in a massive audience. No need to connect it to the old games.

I played KOTOR at least a dozen times and can remember a dozen bits of the game's script that hasn't aged well, especially if you play dark side.

It was great in 2003, it'd be cringy in 2023.

Hell, I'm playing Mass Effect 1 on a Renegade walkthrough and there's many parts in just the first two hours so far that are cringy.

So yes, there's clearly bits of the script that need updating. My concern is if they're going to also make it woke.

Hopeful for a blaster and lightsaber dual wield setup.

I just discovered that KOTOR is on Switch. I got it for $8 on their website with the sale and some gold coins I never knew I had/could put towards games. It's weird as it's still selling for it's full price if you go to the e shop on the actual switch.

It got some visual upgrades, including widescreen support. I can't believe these improvements haven't come to pc. I'd love to play this on my Deck, as I'm having a blast playing KOTOR 2 on it.

The Steam version, like all pc versions needs a lot of tweaking/modding to work and display properly. I could.never get the background to actually look decent.

This the summer of KOTOR for me lol

I just discovered that KOTOR is on Switch. I got it for $8 on their website with the sale and some gold coins I never knew I had/could put towards games. It's weird as it's still selling for it's full price if you go to the e shop on the actual switch.

It got some visual upgrades, including widescreen support. I can't believe these improvements haven't come to pc. I'd love to play this on my Deck, as I'm having a blast playing KOTOR 2 on it.

The Steam version, like all pc versions needs a lot of tweaking/modding to work and display properly. I could.never get the background to actually look decent.

This the summer of KOTOR for me lol

they are upscaled versions of the mobile ports not the PC version

Wow. Two team members fired and game is put on indefinite hold after Lucasarts and Sony were presented with a demo.
https://www.ign.com/articles/star-w...8Y_IRrftsXGLQBC-EPD8SXMTCQ8-pazImSof04xUz3ybk

Got be shitty to drop this ball that badly. Awaiting complaints of racism/sexism/otherisms being the reason for the companies actions.

According to Bloomberg, Texas-based studio Aspyr’s recent internal demo of the Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic demo didn’t land as well as it could have when it was shown to Lucasfilm and Sony. This has led to Aspyr telling employees that the project would be put on pause and that the company would look for “new contracts and development opportunities.”

Additionally, Aspyr fired the remake’s art director and design director, Jason Minor, who reportedly said on social media channels that the dismissal was unexpected.

Last edited:

@Slobodan Could you please add to the thread title 'Delayed Indefinitely?' It'd be appreciated.

"Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, a remake of a 2003 role-playing game, is delayed indefinitely as developers at Austin, Texas-based Aspyr Media try to figure out what comes next. Aspyr also abruptly fired the game’s art director and design director this month. In a series of meetings throughout July, Aspyr’s two studio heads told employees that the project is on pause and that the company will look for new contracts and development opportunities, said the people, who were not authorized to speak publicly about the situation.

Knights of the Old Republic was to be one of the first modern Star Wars console games released outside of Electronic Arts Inc., which had previously held the exclusive licensing rights. That deal expires in 2023, opening the door for new Star Wars games from outside companies like Aspyr, Ubisoft Entertainment SA and Quantic Dream SA.

On June 30, Aspyr finalized a demo of the game, known as a vertical slice, to show to production partners Lucasfilm Ltd. LLC and Sony Group Corp. The developers were excited about it and felt like they were on track, according to a person familiar with the project, so they were shocked by what happened next.

The following week, the company fired design director Brad Prince and art director Jason Minor. Neither responded to requests for comment, but Minor suggested on a social media page that his dismissal was unexpected.

Representatives for Aspyr and Embracer didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment.

Aspyr’s studio heads told staff that the vertical slice wasn’t where they wanted it to be and that the project would be paused, according to two people who were in the meeting. One person familiar with the discussions suggested that a disproportionate amount of time and money had gone into the demo and that the project’s current course wasn’t sustainable. Another point of contention may be the timeline. At the outset of development, Aspyr told staff and partners it would release the game by the end of 2022, according to two people familiar with production. Developers said a more realistic target now would be 2025.

The fate of Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic remains unclear. In May, Embracer announced that Saber Interactive would also join the project. Some at Aspyr believe that Saber, which has mainly been doing outsourcing work for the project, may take it over completely."

Disappointing, but not unexpected. Given how completely green the development studio was with Triple-A games (Although having team members from other major developers, but this studio only doing ports of old Star Wars games to the Switch and other modern consoles).

"The following week, the company fired design director Brad Prince and art director Jason Minor. Neither responded to requests for comment, but Minor suggested on a social media page that his dismissal was unexpected."

Amongst the details, this seems like the most interesting.

Who has ever heard of design directors & art directors being the reason development of a game being lackluster, resulting in the 'indefinite delay' (Nice way of saying cancelled until said otherwise) of the entire development?

I've heard of a game director and numerous high-importance positions being fired (usually related to programing), but never anything related to art.

Interesting.

At the outset of development, Aspyr told staff and partners it would release the game by the end of 2022, according to two people familiar with production. Developers said a more realistic target now would be 2025.

Wow.

They royally fucked up on this one.

Its not mentioned when development began, but I got the feeling when it was announced it was still in early development due to the fact they didn't show anything at all. Just Jennifer Hale (Bastilla's voice actress) doing a voice-over and the KOTOR logo shows up at the end.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, and estimate the development began in at the beginning of 2021, it was announced in September 2021, with an internal release goal of.... end of 2022? Are you shitting me?

Even if I'm 100% wrong and it began development a year before it was announcement it would have had a 2.5 year development cycle, with a team that's only history is making old games work on new hardware, remaking a Triple-A classic.

This was a failure before it ever began.

Bet the studioheads thought they were expert bullshit merchants, promising a late 2022 release date, but counting on impressing the executives at Sony with what they had so far they could ask for more money and time and they'd get it.

What a clusterfuck if I'm right.
And if I'm wrong its still a clusterfuck.

Last edited:
It's honestly not that surprising. This company is famous for ports. Their last port was literally a broken game. Never should have remade this game in the first place. Hire a competent company to do a remaster or just make KOTOR 3.

Back