KOTOR Remake Announced + Teaser *UPDATE* It appears canceled

GearSolidMetal

Plutonium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score

"Hell, its about time."

R.694ebe63692327d216772e16cc0f1122

Hope this isn't a PS5 exclusive, but chances are it is.

Edit - Its on PC too.

Edit2 - Timed PS5 Exclusive, later coming to PC.

Update - Full Story on Page 6.

Last edited:
I wonder how close to the original the remake will function? Same type of combat? Will the player character be customizable? Will there be more planets with more open environments?

Not sure what to expect really but it's very exciting news.

I played the hell out of these games so I don't have any desire to play it again. But I might buy it in hopes we get a KOTOR 2 remake later.

While I loved the original, wouldn’t mind seeing an updated combat engine like they did with the FFVII remake.
I hope they rework the combat. KOTOR and Dragon Age Origins are two of my absolute favorite games of all time, but that combat system feels really dated and I don't see the point of a remake if you don't update the combat. I'd be fine with them going with an updated action combat style or going full turn based a la Divinity Original Sin 1&2 and BG3.

I played the hell out of these games so I don't have any desire to play it again. But I might buy it in hopes we get a KOTOR 2 remake later.

While I loved the original, wouldn’t mind seeing an updated combat engine like they did with the FFVII remake.
Its going to be a full remake, from the ground-up.

RPGs have evolved in every way since the early-2000s so there's no way in hell they're going to repeat the Boulders Gate gameplay.

I hope they rework the combat. KOTOR and Dragon Age Origins are two of my absolute favorite games of all time, but that combat system feels really dated and I don't see the point of a remake if you don't update the combat. I'd be fine with them going with an updated action combat style or going full turn based a la Divinity Original Sin 1&2 and BG3.

I'd like to see real time combat from The Fallen Order but use the active skill selection where it freezes the action so you can make strategic actions like in the FFVII Remake and Dragon Age.

I'd like to see real time combat from The Fallen Order but use the active skill selection where it freezes the action so you can make strategic actions like in the FFVII Remake and Dragon Age.

Generally, its best to not have specific expectations. We don't know ANYTHING about it yet, not even a release window (2023? 2024?).

Aspr has been around a long time but doesn't have a track record for huge Triple-A games, which we don't even know if they were given a large budget worthy to make a Triple-A game or if this will be made on the cheap and hoping it'd be a big seller because of the nostalgic fanbase.

Had my interest, but lost a bit when I saw the Sony logo. Last Star Wars thing I remember they had was Star Ward Galaxies which they burnt into the ground. I'll wait and see since this was just a teaser.

Had my interest, but lost a bit when I saw the Sony logo. Last Star Wars thing I remember they had was Star Ward Galaxies which they burnt into the ground. I'll wait and see since this was just a teaser.

Its more of a funding issue than a quality of product issue.

Sony outbid Microsoft in negotiations of exclusivity. We should be thankful they're releasing it for PC as well but that's because the PC-market has exploded worldwide and cannot be ignored.

With Sony, they have more funding to make a Triple-A experience, although chances are it'll be a timed exclusive, probably.

Also, as far as guesses for a release date, the original KOTOR was released on July 15th, 2003. It'd be a nice homage if the remake was released on the 20th anniversary.

July 15th 2023.

Yeah, its a long ways off, but by then they'll be tens of millions more PS5s on the market and Aspr, who has no experience with independently developing Triple-A games, will have plenty of time to develop a worthy remake.

As for the 'Sony fucked up Star Wars Galaxy' point, the developer was unproven to make such a large-scale product in the first place, and that was well over 15+ years ago. The leadership at Sony has changed several times over since then. I'd say Aspr is the unknown factor here if they're capable of handling such a project.

For the past 20+ years they've ONLY developed ports of existing games to other consoles and IOS.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_ported_by_Aspyr

This will be their FIRST attempt at developing a Triple-A game from the ground up, and there's no way to tell if its going to be awesome or if its going to suck.

Edit - Timed PS5 Exclusivity before PC release.

Last edited:
Back