ko's in mma are overrated

If anything then boxing has the flaw. You don't let people up in fights. That's bullshit. JDS KOd Cain. End of discussion. Cain has a good chance to win but suggesting it should be a standing 8 count is nonsense. That doesnt replicate a fight. This is fighting. JDS KOd Cain in a fight.

:redface:

If by overrated you mean not indicative of what will happen in a rematch then I agree. Serra KOed GSP, but the rematch was a totally different fight, and I predict Cain/JDS will be also.

So being able to finish your opponent if you hurt them with a legal shot is an unfair advantage?
jerryimout.gif

If anything then boxing has the flaw. You don't let people up in fights. That's bullshit. JDS KOd Cain. End of discussion. Cain has a good chance to win but suggesting it should be a standing 8 count is nonsense. That doesnt replicate a fight. This is fighting. JDS KOd Cain in a fight.

You say end of discussion but add on even more after that? LOL:redface:

Why are you bringing boxing into this discussion?

Boxing is not the sport of fighting. Boxing is the sport of limiting combat only to the use of fists, putting comically large gloves on those fists, and standing around giving a guy the chance to recover any time he falls down.

Boxing is not the sport of fighting. Boxing is the sport of limiting combat only to the use of fists, putting comically large gloves on those fists, and standing around giving a guy the chance to recover any time he falls down.

Because he's a pikey bare-knuckle boxing champion.

This KO was almost as bad as Gonzaga CroCop. No one needs to see Gonzaga Crocop 2 to know what would happen AGAIN.

What? Cain /jds wasn't even close to as brutal as that.

No..KOs are not overrated in mma and cannot be. Happy holidays

As usual, the topic has gone over your head.

TS is correct, we as fans put far too much stock in KO finishes. KO finishes don't always tell who the better fighter is, only who landed at that particular moment. Better fighters lose by KO all the time, 4 oz gloves + 15-25 minutes = even the best fighters on the planet can get hit once, and once is all it takes.

Did anyone think GSP wasn't worthy to rematch Serra so quickly after his KO loss?
Does anybody think Hendricks would KO Kampmann quickly in a rematch?

Fighters that possess the power to finish somebody on the feet have an advantage (JDS is the champ, he'll clearly be the fav), but this is the big leagues we are talking about here, everybody has power and anybody can finish the fight. Quick fights don't tell the whole story. There was alot we didn't get to see in the first JDS/Cain fight (grappling, takedowns, clinching, cardio, etc) why is everyone so convinced a rematch will play out exactly the same way?

This KO was almost as bad as Gonzaga CroCop. No one needs to see Gonzaga Crocop 2 to know what would happen AGAIN.

What? Are you serious? The Gonzaga KO on CroCop is not even comparable. It was a hail mary play - Gonzaga threw his foot up there about as adeptly as the Hulkster throwing the big boot, and it only worked in that ONE FIGHT because nobody ever considered he would do something that crazy. It wouldn't work again on Filipovich nor anyone else in the HW division. That's not to say Gonzaga couldn't win again against him, but it would have been the same situation if Brock had landed his flying knee attempt or Sonnen KOed Silva with that fucking pirouette move thing that he tried.

In contrast, JDS did to Cain what he does to fighters in EVERY fight. Your point is worthless. Sylvia's high kick on Tra Telligman was done with more skill.

If by overrated you mean not indicative of what will happen in a rematch then I agree. Serra KOed GSP, but the rematch was a totally different fight, and I predict Cain/JDS will be also.

that's what i'm saying. knockouts are not guarantees of what will happen. there are so many guys that land one punch in a fight and they win fights. also i am a cain fan, but i never expect him to land the punches like he did on noquiera in a fight. guys like jds and anderson are succesful bc they gameplan and execute. jds' most impressive fights were agaisnt nelson crocop and carwin. also for all the spectacular ko's roy nelson has why isn't he the champion? he also got dominated for three rounds by jds.

"Boxing is not the sport of fighting", oh really?...why don't you get in the ring with a friend and put "comically large gloves" on and swing on each other for 3 minutes and then say if THAT'S not fighting, you have no idea what your talking about. You basically said that any form of stand up fighting whether is boxing, kickboxing or muay thai is not fighting because they wear large gloves and "giving a guy a chance to recover" (standing 8 count). Your just on MMA's nutsack, i would love to see you get in the ring with a boxer and then tell me whether thats fighting or not.

TS is correct, we as fans put far too much stock in KO finishes. KO finishes don't always tell who the better fighter is, only who landed at that particular moment. Better fighters lose by KO all the time, 4 oz gloves + 15-25 minutes = even the best fighters on the planet can get hit once, and once is all it takes.

Did anyone think GSP wasn't worthy to rematch Serra so quickly after his KO loss?

Fighters that possess the power to finish somebody on the feet have an advantage (JDS is the champ, he'll clearly be the fav), but this is the big leagues we are talking about here, everybody has power and anybody can finish the fight. Quick fights don't tell the whole story. There was alot we didn't get to see in the first JDS/Cain fight (grappling, takedowns, clinching, cardio, etc) why is everyone so convinced a rematch will play out exactly the same way?

thank you for helping explain my theory.

What a silly comparison to make.

This.

Back