KOs / blows with the worst consequences

goodridge knocked oleg out cold and he never fought again

oavtxv.jpg

Fought 4 months after that loss, total of 5 times with the last one against Kerr in '08

The knockout Matt Riddle scored on TUF 7 to get into the house, I don't know if it resulted in any long term damage but it was horrifying to witness. A good example of fights that might deter aspiring fighters from competing. Also the first fight to get into the house of the current season of TUF. Giant dude collapsing headfirst into the cage, could have broken his neck. I felt so bad for his Mom who witnessed it live.

he didn't come anywhere near breaking his neck. C'mon son.

But yeah, felt terrible for his mother. He did fall like a tree.

Lindland after the Belfort fight. Guy was borderline having seizures for minutes after the fight being stopped.

Great example. Getting knocked into a coma is truly frightening.

There's also the early UFC fighter who got his ribs fractured by a brutal knee but fought on and won the fight. However, he was immediately sent to the hospital and the doctors said "his survival was in question". I can't remember his name right now, though.

Cal Worsham. He got kneed by Zane Frazier and it broke ribs, damaged his heart and collapsed a lung supposedly.

Last edited:
Bisping has gone on record saying that he had some serious memory issues after getting KOd by Henderson.

Apparently he was repeating himself and didn't think he was fighting for another couple of months. He thought he'd been there to corner someone.

It cleared up pretty quickly though I think.

Douglas Dedge is the obvious answer I guess.

he didn't come anywhere near breaking his neck. C'mon son.

But yeah, felt terrible for his mother. He did fall like a tree.

Well I said "could have" not exactly implying it was close to occurring but anytime you go out on your feet and fall headfirst into the cage the chance is there. Very fortunate it didn't do serious damage but how would we even know? It's not like they release medical suspensions from TUF episodes

Did Chuck pee himself after getting KYFO? That's a pretty bad consequence.

Well I said "could have" not exactly implying it was close to occurring but anytime you go out on your feet and fall headfirst into the cage the chance is there. Very fortunate it didn't do serious damage but how would we even know? It's not like they release medical suspensions from TUF episodes

True, they don't. He might have had a serious concussion etc. But if memory serves me correctly his head didn't hit the cage. I don't think he hit the cage, nor bent his neck etc. So why you think that KO in particular was such a candidate for a neck injury/potential broken neck I'm not sure.

When Lyoto kicked out Couture's tooth.

Also Karo Parisyan losing his tooth in the cage and it flew out into the audience.

I've been seriously injured in many ways, but the thought of getting a tooth knocked out is probably the worst injury I can think of that doesn't run the risk of being killed.

The Uriah Hall TuF Ko was vicious. The sound of it connecting was nasty. Wasn't the kid making snoring sounds while Ko'd on the floor, or am I thinking of something else?

Also Hunts KO of Struve was pretty brutal. Broke his jaw completely in half.

He nearly died in the hospital that night from severe head trauma and suffered brain damage. Today, Gamache works as a licensed boxing trainer, coaching some of the top fighters in the sport, though he still suffers from migraines and has admitted to once having thoughts of suicide.

In his last fight on Feb 26, 2000, Gamache was brutally knocked out in two rounds by Arturo Gatti at Madison Square Garden. He filed lawsuits against both Gatti and the New York State Athletic Commission. He alleges that Gatti weighed significantly more than the contracted weight at the time of the fight. The case was tried and decided by Judge Melvin Schweitzer, who found the state negligent in its lax handling of the pre-fight weigh-in. The judge, who was not convinced that the negligence was a substantial factor in causing an injury, did not award any damages. Gamache considered the verdict a win

In the end, Gatti ended up worse

True, they don't. He might have had a serious concussion etc. But if memory serves me correctly his head didn't hit the cage. I don't think he hit the cage, nor bent his neck etc. So why you think that KO in particular was such a candidate for a neck injury/potential broken neck I'm not sure.

Just rewatched it, he falls just short of hitting the cage, I thought he actually hit his face on the cage

Also Karo Parisyan losing his tooth in the cage and it flew out into the audience.

I've been seriously injured in many ways, but the thought of getting a tooth knocked out is probably the worst injury I can think of that doesn't run the risk of being killed.

Because of the pain alone (which is probably terrible) or other non-life threatening complications?

Crocop breaking Sapp's orbital bone. In addition to having his face literally broken it was the silliest looking knockdown ever. It looked like what would happen if someone punched me in the face.

cro-cop-makes-bob-sapp-cry-o.gif

Getting a tooth knocked out of your head would be truly terrible, apparently Karo only lost a veneer though, I remember him going on a tirade about it before his next fight

He nearly died in the hospital that night from severe head trauma and suffered brain damage. Today, Gamache works as a licensed boxing trainer, coaching some of the top fighters in the sport, though he still suffers from migraines and has admitted to once having thoughts of suicide.

In his last fight on Feb 26, 2000, Gamache was brutally knocked out in two rounds by Arturo Gatti at Madison Square Garden. He filed lawsuits against both Gatti and the New York State Athletic Commission. He alleges that Gatti weighed significantly more than the contracted weight at the time of the fight. The case was tried and decided by Judge Melvin Schweitzer, who found the state negligent in its lax handling of the pre-fight weigh-in. The judge, who was not convinced that the negligence was a substantial factor in causing an injury, did not award any damages. Gamache considered the verdict a win

i remember seeing that fight too. Gatti had put on 20lbs.

Back