Media Korean Zombie's statement on his win; Dan Ige still in good spirits despite his loss: "I'll be back"

Gio

Wendy Belt
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score

Translated:
"It feels weird because it's my first decision win in UFC and it feels weird that I didn't get a bonus... Still, I'm really glad and happy that Seungwoo got it. I'm glad that we can keep our promise to win and go together. And... you learn a lot. I really learn a lot. I'm learning and learning a lot and I'll learn a lot more. Thank you so much to those who supported us. That's great power. Please love Korean martial arts as well as me."

---------

Much respect to both guys who had been very classy and respectful from the build up, up to the final buzzer. Good luck and looking forward to what's next for both of them.

Good veteran performance by KZ. It is crazy that's his first decision win in the UFC. Ige is a tough fighter and definitely had paths to victory. It was a good fight for both, they can take away good things about their performances and also know what to work on.

Good veteran performance by KZ. It is crazy that's his first decision win in the UFC. Ige is a tough fighter and definitely had paths to victory. It was a good fight for both, they can take away good things about their performances and also know what to work on.

I think Dan felt the pressure when he lost the first 2 rounds, and it got him playing catch up and realized the stakes for this fight. I feel for him knowing her wife and baby was watching ringside. While KZ has been relaxed and patient the whole time and fought smart in taking the fight where his opponent is at a disadvantage. Hope Dan bounces back. There's a lot of fun matches for him still.

I think Dan felt the pressure when he lost the first 2 rounds, and it got him playing catch up and realized the stakes for this fight. I feel for him knowing her wife and baby was watching ringside. While KZ has been relaxed and patient the whole time and fought smart in taking the fight where his opponent is at a disadvantage. Hope Dan bounces back. There's a lot of fun matches for him still.

Yeah, I believe the experience of KZ really paid off here. Dan I think for the most part had a good gameplan but he picked the wrong moments to go for the kill and rushed some things. If he stuck with the jabs and body work he may have been able to both avoid the takedowns and also take a win but he kind of got drawn into the clinch and trying to swarm KZ a little too much. But I think a good takeaway for Ige is that his body shots and jabs were working really well. That can go a long way for a guy like him who will probably be shorter than most of his opponents. I think it should also give him more confidence to let his hands do the work and not always go for clinch/takedown against the cage. Those body shots would be brutal against guys trapped against the cage. I'd like to see Ige fight someone ranked maybe somewhere in the 10-15 range and see how he does. He's still young and definitely shouldn't be written off as a future contender.

KZ definitely seemed a lot more patient and relaxed. He looked good overall despite maybe losing in the striking department. Even though he may have been losing on the feet he still dropped Ige briefly and also landed a good knee that forced Ige to shoot. And of course the wrestling looked good, particularly the timing in which he was going for them.

I thought Ige’s speed was going to cause problems but TKZ really showed up. Great fight between two classy guys.

Yeah, I believe the experience of KZ really paid off here. Dan I think for the most part had a good gameplan but he picked the wrong moments to go for the kill and rushed some things. If he stuck with the jabs and body work he may have been able to both avoid the takedowns and also take a win but he kind of got drawn into the clinch and trying to swarm KZ a little too much. But I think a good takeaway for Ige is that his body shots and jabs were working really well. That can go a long way for a guy like him who will probably be shorter than most of his opponents. I think it should also give him more confidence to let his hands do the work and not always go for clinch/takedown against the cage. Those body shots would be brutal against guys trapped against the cage. I'd like to see Ige fight someone ranked maybe somewhere in the 10-15 range and see how he does. He's still young and definitely shouldn't be written off as a future contender.

KZ definitely seemed a lot more patient and relaxed. He looked good overall despite maybe losing in the striking department. Even though he may have been losing on the feet he still dropped Ige briefly and also landed a good knee that forced Ige to shoot. And of course the wrestling looked good, particularly the timing in which he was going for them.

Agree, and KZ was able to be first. That first calf kick was an impactful strike imo and he established his range early and he did a good job going in and out, utilize his reach and evade Dan's punches. Dan was still able to land and he hits hard though. But KZ tagged him hard a couple of times too in the 2nd I think. And who knows how hard those were? KZ's team mates have been saying he's hitting like a WW these days, and I think Ige felt that and made him cautious, and instead of following the gameplan, he kinda went looking for the home run for the most part. He tried to mix it up with the TD's but KZ has very underrated sprawls and grappling. He just showed there's levels to it, as cliche as it may sound.

It's just a tough day in the office for Dan. I actually rewatched his fight with Barboza and was impressed by how he took it to him. He can definitely come back, maybe against #11 Yusuff? That's a fun fight.

Speaks a lot about KZ that that's his first decision win.

Hate that he got injured but that also speaks to how tough he was. Heal up KZ.

Dan Ige was looking great in his recent fights and was the favorite here so this is no small victory for KZ.

Well said.

The story of that card was KZ's high fight IQ. Considering the way he lost to Ortega it was really cool to see him come back and be so cerebral in his approach. Super relaxed and mindful of what he should be doing to maximize his advantage.

Dan has plenty of talent and athleticism but was out matched. Styles make fights and KZ being on his game is a little above Dan's pay grade. He wasn't far behind but the most he tried to force things the worse it went. He'll keep improving.

Reactions: Gio
Dan Ige was looking great in his recent fights and was the favorite here so this is no small victory for KZ.
I never noticed how many people grade fighters based on their last fights It was so evident for this one KZ got whacked for his while Ige became a game ender off the Tucker fight. Flash KOs are great but I don't put much credence into them for obvious reasons

non striking perspective, it appeared KZ outclassed Ige

ige was also fairly predictable after the first 2 minutes throwing the same combinations after the initial charge, straight or jab followed by left hook then right hook

not really digging KZs striking from neutral square position. His head is stationary and on a platter most of the times and he just seems more vulnerable than I remember

Didn't see much difference from the Ortega fight and he would've gotten blasted again if he were rematching Ortega

But then again he had a bad shoulder for much of the fight I guess I'm lamenting new zombie over old zombie latter of which seemed much more dangerous

Back