Korean Zombie Vs. Dustin Poirier should have been FOTY

I love the story of this fight.

Dustin is so young, full of talent and hype, goes into the fight against a fighter who seems to more of an entertainer rather than a elite fighter.

and the first round is very back and forth, and dustin seems to be almost playing, and having a big smile on his face as the round ends, even though he lost it.

the second round starts and KZ full of confidence from the first round turns the pressure of to 100 and puts on one of the best rounds the MMA world have seen, and even though he's the underdog he can see his great opportunity and just goes for it all round long.

Dustin now returns to his corner with a much more serious look on his face, and he realizes he's truly in for a fight, and there's no more time for fun and games.

Dustin comes out sharp and wins the round, tagging KZ over and over, KZ seems to be fading.

4th round the zombie knows he's losing control, and he won't lose after putting on such amzing first and second rounds, and manages to seal the deal in an amazing finish.

just an epic rocky-esque fight.

and then there's GSP beating condit for 5 rounds, fuck that.

Dustin is so young, full of talent and hype, goes into the fight against a fighter who seems to more of an entertainer rather than a elite fighter.

and the first round is very back and forth, and dustin seems to be almost playing, and having a big smile on his face as the round ends, even though he lost it.

the second round starts and KZ full of confidence from the first round turns the pressure of to 100 and puts on one of the best rounds the MMA world have seen, and even though he's the underdog he can see his great opportunity and just goes for it all round long.

Dustin now returns to his corner with a much more serious look on his face, and he realizes he's truly in for a fight, and there's no more time for fun and games.

Dustin comes out sharp and wins the round, tagging KZ over and over, KZ seems to be fading.

4th round the zombie knows he's losing control, and he won't lose after putting on such amzing first and second rounds, and manages to seal the deal in an amazing finish.

Can't agree more!
And KZ came in as underdog, where alot of people thought he had no game for Dustin

GSP vs Condit was an average fight only if you take out the champion belt... but again, ESPN chose their own FOTY, they need to involve the fans

Pretty much sums it up. The second round is definitely a candidate for round of the year.

It's still boggling the shit out of my head right now... Who in the right fuckin state of mind would give FOTY to GSP? I mean no knock on GSP he is the best WW ever and prob the top 3 p4p every. But putting GSP anywhere near FOTY award is just not right.

That was one of the most exciting GSP fights we've seen in a long time. It was also an excellent fight. It just wasn't foty

I don't get how people think the fight was so one-sided. Poirier won the 3rd round, and he mounted plenty of offense in the first two rounds, KZ just had an answer for most of it. In the first round they were actually even in significant strikes. Jung more so won on TD's. Then in the 4th Poirier had a little striking success on the beginning when KZ poured it on and subbed him. At that time the fight was still in the balance in the scorecards. Can't really say the same for Hendo-Shogun after 3 rounds, and that won FOTY. Chandler-Alvarez was the best fight last year, KZ-Poirier this year. So many techniques, drama, and the fight still hung in the balance up until the end. Get it right!

even tho kz owned dustin every round... the fight had everything you could have asked for.
i like ko's as much as subs :)

the gsp fight was ok, other than that head kick it was average at best. but its a gsp fight...we rarly get to see gsp get hurt like that.

even tho kz owned dustin every round... the fight had everything you could have asked for.
i like ko's as much as subs :)

the gsp fight was ok, other than that head kick it was average at best. but its a gsp fight...we rarly get to see gsp get hurt like that.

Round 3:

TJ De Santis scores the round 10-9 Jung
Chris Nelson scores the round 10-9 Poirier
Mike Whitman scores the round 10-9 Poirier

Round 1:

Significant Strikes: Jung 8, Poirier 8

Myth, Discernible advantage for KZ, even before the finish, but Poirier had plenty of moments throughout. You always got the impression that he still could win.

KZ vs dust was a great fight but i guess i could agree with the GSP vs condit fight.

KZ in a very exciting way, dominated that fight. GSP did get rocked and had people worried if he could win. both looked damaged and GSP put on his best fight in a while and ESPN loovveess gsp

Agreed.

ESPN doesn't know shit about MMA. Half of their commentators are incompetent bozos with clown personalities anyway.

this

KZ vs Poirier >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Silva vs Fitch >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GSP vs Condit

KZ Jung was amazing, should be FoTY I agree.

Round 3:

TJ De Santis scores the round 10-9 Jung
Chris Nelson scores the round 10-9 Poirier
Mike Whitman scores the round 10-9 Poirier

Round 1:

Significant Strikes: Jung 8, Poirier 8

Myth, Discernible advantage for KZ, even before the finish, but Poirier had plenty of moments throughout. You always got the impression that he still could win.

Meh KZ owned him in the second and clearly won the first with his ground game though Poirier was competitive through out.

Third round was the only one you could argue for Porier and even his success in that round is overstated - Neither guy really did anything huge though and that was probably best scored a draw

and Jung owned in round 4

Looking at the fight as a whole the best moments were Jung's by a wide margin, best strikes, better ground moments and near submission attempts. It was a fun competitive fight but not all that close except for one round of action.

Meh KZ owned him in the second and clearly won the first with his ground game though Poirier was competitive through out.

Third round was the only one you could argue for Porier and even his success in that round is overstated - Neither guy really did anything huge though and that was probably best scored a draw

Looking at the fight as a whole the best moments were Jung's by a wide margin, best strikes, better ground moments and near submission attempts. It was a fun competitive fight but not all that close except for one round of action.

But you admit Poirier had his moments, so it was no domination. I think some of that perception of domination stems from the surprise of how well Zombie fared, because he was a sizable underdog. Poirier had the expectations, to which he didn't live up.

While Round 3 wasn't a blowout, it was without a doubt Poirer's round. He was landing a hard straight left on KZ pretty much at will. KZ wasn't landing much of anything and his pace was slowing down a lot. Watching the fight live I think most people thought "well damn KZ is slowing down," and expect Poirer to start overtaking the fight. Then in Round 4 to see KZ come out again like a beast and finish the fight it kind of came out of nowhere. In hindsight Round 3 is a bit average, but at the time I'm sure all the KZ fans were starting to think "oh shit," and all the Poirer fans thinking "fuck yeah."

But I do agree, pretty much everything cool that happened was becuase of KZ. Poirer's coolest moments were during scrambles in which he usually lost (except the reversal he got) and I guess his left straights were pretty nice although not flashy or anything

varner vs lauzon???

sorry but kz poirier was the best fight.

who knows though there are a few more fights left for 2012!

KZ vs Porier was really good as was Fitch vs Silva.

But you admit Poirier had his moments, so it was no domination. I think some of that perception of domination stems from the surprise of how well Zombie fared, because he was a sizable underdog. Poirier had the expectations, to which he didn't live up.

Not a domination, a competitive fight in which Zombie controlled the majority of the bout and had a nice finish.

While Round 3 wasn't a blowout, it was without a doubt Poirer's round. He was landing a hard straight left on KZ pretty much at will. KZ wasn't landing much of anything and his pace was slowing down a lot. Watching the fight live I think most people thought "well damn KZ is slowing down," and expect Poirer to start overtaking the fight. Then in Round 4 to see KZ come out again like a beast and finish the fight it kind of came out of nowhere. In hindsight Round 3 is a bit average, but at the time I'm sure all the KZ fans were starting to think "oh shit," and all the Poirer fans thinking "fuck yeah."

But I do agree, pretty much everything cool that happened was becuase of KZ. Poirer's coolest moments were during scrambles in which he usually lost (except the reversal he got) and I guess his left straights were pretty nice although not flashy or anything

I gave the round even because Zombie put in work on the mat early, and Porier was fighting at a low volume - But I agree that I thought that Porier was taking over that fight, one of the reasons the fight was great was the momentum shift while it wasn't dramatic as we've seen before I agree I thought 4 and 5 were going to favor Poirier. Even to start Round 4 we saw Dustin land another clean left right away and I for sure thought he was going to cruise for the next 10 minutes.

I gave the round even because Zombie put in work on the mat early, and Porier was fighting at a low volume - But I agree that I thought that Porier was taking over that fight, one of the reasons the fight was great was the momentum shift while it wasn't dramatic as we've seen before I agree I thought 4 and 5 were going to favor Poirier. Even to start Round 4 we saw Dustin land another clean left right away and I for sure thought he was going to cruise for the next 10 minutes.

Yes you're right, KZ did get mounted crucifix and landed some punches but Poirer got out pretty quickly. Forgot that happened, that actually could have been the end of the fight but Poirer was near the cage and was able to use it to sweep. Wouldn't have been a very epic finish though since it would have been based on Poirer being trapped rather than him actually getting KTFO/subbd. But I still think it was easily Poirer's round since althoug KZ won the grappling portion, it did not last very long and the damage he caused wasn't too significant. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one haha.

I dont tend to agree with your posts RL but I'm 100% with you on this one. ESPN fucked up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back