Korean Zombie Vs. Dustin Poirier should have been FOTY

rl4090526

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
ESPN gave FOTY to GSP vs Condit. Which is arguable in a sense that it was probably the most challenging fight for GSP in a while and it was GSP's return to the octagon from a long layoff.

But lets be real here, how was this fight more exciting than KZ vs Poirier?
The second round of KZ vs Poirier by itself was more entertaining than the GSP vs Condit fight.
What more can a fight fan ask from a fight than the KZ vs Poirier fight?

Second of all, KZ was supposed to lose pretty fuckin badly in this fight and KZ pulled that out of nowhere, it's not like KZ was supposed to run through Poirier which makes it more significant ...if you guys are looking for anything other than entertaining factor.

Anyways at least KZ got the Submission of the Year for the second straight year. But they should have gave the FOTY instead of the SOTY.

Here is some gifs of the fight if you are too lazy to watch one of the most entertaining fights I've seen. (as a KZ fan I liked it more than the KZ vs Garcia 1)

korean-zombie-jung.gif

korean-zombie-chan.gif

korean-zombie.gif

There were a bunch of fights better than GSP vs. Condit

I completely agree. No fight had me geeking while it happened more that this fight. My mind was fuckin blown. Anywhere the fight went, it was exciting and had me on the edge of my seat. Not to mention it had a fantastic finish. This is the clear cut Fight of the Year in my honest opinion. Nothing else came close.

I completely agree. No fight had me geeking while it happened more that this fight. My mind was fuckin blown. Anywhere the fight went, it was exciting and had me on the edge of my seat. Not to mention it had a fantastic finish. This is the clear cut Fight of the Year in my honest opinion. Nothing else came close.

Whoever thinks otherwise is fucking weird straight up

I think every MMA news show is calling KZ vs Poirier the fight of the year...

But ESPN has to deal with the casuals and football fans, so GSP vs Condit.

I thought that fight was a lock for FOTY. It was ridiculous.

Varner vs Lauzon was better IMO, closer back and forth fight.

It's still boggling the shit out of my head right now... Who in the right fuckin state of mind would give FOTY to GSP? I mean no knock on GSP he is the best WW ever and prob the top 3 p4p every. But putting GSP anywhere near FOTY award is just not right.

Varner vs Lauzon was better IMO, closer back and forth fight.

Have you seen the fight? how can you just say that the Lauzon fight was better just because it was more back and forth? the pure exciting factor was not even close.. well you are a Lauzon fan so I'm not gonna say anything more.

This fight was not FOTY because Poirier was COMPLETELY outclassed on the ground and was pretty much exposed as result of it.

There were like 5 seperate moments where Poirier was looking up at his corner totally helpless, clearly not knowing what to do. Once KZ recognized what ridiculous advantage he had on him in knowledge he TOOLED Poirier on the ground.

Have you seen the fight? how can you just say that the Lauzon fight was better just because it was more back and forth? the pure exciting factor was not even close.. well you are a Lauzon fan so I'm not gonna say anything more.

Some people like close back and forth fights, and some people like exciting displays of skill I guess (which was also in the Lauzon and Varner fight).

This fight was not FOTY because Poirier was COMPLETELY outclassed on the ground and was pretty much exposed as result of it.

There were like 5 seperate moments where Poirier was looking up at his corner totally helpless, clearly not knowing what to do. Once KZ recognized what ridiculous advantage he had on him in knowledge he TOOLED Poirier on the ground.

Nah that doesn't diminish how exciting it was. Don't tell me you werent excited by the fight. Poirier is a good fighter but KZ is just a class above him. Fights can still be exciting without the fight being back and forth like the KZ vs Poirier.

Some people like close back and forth fights, and some people like exciting displays of skill I guess (which was also in the Lauzon and Varner fight).

I can respect that but FOTY is not given based on competitiveness. It's given based on how entertaining, exciting it was. But I totally see where you are coming from.

Nah that doesn't diminish how exciting it was. Don't tell me you werent excited by the fight. Poirier is a good fighter but KZ is just a class above him. Fights can still be exciting without the fight being back and forth like the KZ vs Poirier.

I agree. It was a dominant performance by kz but he did not dominate the fight (if that makes sense). Everything poirier had, kz had an answer but at the same time, porier kept coming. That first gif is a great example of the fight. Kz attacking, dp responding with the perfect timed take down but being reversed by kz.
This was a perfect combination of striking and technical ground game.

Varner and j lau was good back and forth but not as technically clean (my opinion of course).

Back