Korean Judo University (This is Why They WIN!)

Wow there is so much misinformation in this thread.

Korean elementary students go to school from about 0900 - 1500. Academy attendance can vary greatly. Some will not go to academy at all and others will spend around 3 - 4 hours attending math and English classes. Standard practice is to go to academy on Saturday and sometimes Sunday as well.

Students go to PE academies (taekwondo, judo, geumdo) up until high school. High school is where it gets serious. It depends on the high school but students go to school 0800 - 1700 and 1800 - 2200. If you go to academy or have a part time job you can get out of the evening session. 1800 - 2200 is often independent study time or remedial classes.

The biggest difference between Korean and American education is the amount of unsupervised free time. Korean students have very little of it.

If you are an elementary school athlete you will typically practice 6 days a week, even during vacation. Practice is around 5 hours a day. Schools often will focus on one or two sports so if you want to play that sport you have to go to a school that has it. This does not just apply to sports. There are specialty high schools through out the country. There are culinary high schools, art high schools, language high schools, etc. Interesting side note: Ki Bo bae #1 archer in the world took it up only because it was offered at her elementary school.

Judo is a little unique in that high school or university students will still participate in it even if they are not competitive because they need a black belt for the police academy.

Wow there is so much misinformation in this thread.

Korean elementary students go to school from about 0900 - 1500. Academy attendance can vary greatly. Some will not go to academy at all and others will spend around 3 - 4 hours attending math and English classes. Standard practice is to go to academy on Saturday and sometimes Sunday as well.

Students go to PE academies (taekwondo, judo, geumdo) up until high school. High school is where it gets serious. It depends on the high school but students go to school 0800 - 1700 and 1800 - 2200. If you go to academy or have a part time job you can get out of the evening session. 1800 - 2200 is often independent study time or remedial classes.

The biggest difference between Korean and American education is the amount of unsupervised free time. Korean students have very little of it.

If you are an elementary school athlete you will typically practice 6 days a week, even during vacation. Practice is around 5 hours a day. Schools often will focus on one or two sports so if you want to play that sport you have to go to a school that has it. This does not just apply to sports. There are specialty high schools through out the country. There are culinary high schools, art high schools, language high schools, etc. Interesting side note: Ki Bo bae #1 archer in the world took it up only because it was offered at her elementary school.

Judo is a little unique in that high school or university students will still participate in it even if they are not competitive because they need a black belt for the police academy.

Is that not 12to14hrs plus of school a day? o800to1700 then 1800to2200.
As I wrote.
Maybe you can clarify and explain "academy" as it is a paid schooling, to help with studies and prepare for the placement exam all Koreans take around 18yo. exam is so important the entire country is on holiday.

Is there golf elementary schools? Cause the number of Korean women pro golfers is incredible.

Did Dong Hyun Kim go to to Korean Judo University?

Is that not 12to14hrs plus of school a day? o800to1700 then 1800to2200.
As I wrote.
Maybe you can clarify and explain "academy" as it is a paid schooling, to help with studies and prepare for the placement exam all Koreans take around 18yo. exam is so important the entire country is on holiday.

The intensity of the evening session is often up to the students. While they need to be in school from 1800 - 2200, and they should be studying during this time, some/many will not actually study the whole time. It largely depends on their academic goals. Students that want to go to the top universities in the country will use that time to study or attend academy classes. Mid to low level university students will spend some of that time studying, using their phone, or sleeping.

Some of this is also dependant on the level of their high school. While students cannot be completely denied admitance to high school, higher level schools or speciality schools do have an admissions process. At one high level academic school I am aware of, the top twenty students are separrated out from their peers for the evening class. They study in a room similar to a university library with couches and vending machines. While the school does not officially tell them where they rank, students talk and number 17, 18, 19, 20 know who they are. It is possible to fall out of the top 20 and lose the ability to study in the nicer room. I have friends who went to midlevel academic high schools. They studied half of that time and spent the other half playing games or sleeping.

As far as I know test day is a half holiday. A lot of businesses will open later in an effort to keep unnecessary traffic off the road. Unlike the SAT in the US which gets offered many times during the year, many Koreran universities hold their test on the same day so from a logistical standpoint it makes sense to reduce traffic. It is not the same do or die day that it used to be either. A fair number of students take the exam again to get into their university of choice, even high level students.

In many ways test day has become an institution and right of passage for Korean youth, similar to prom or homecoming in the US. Haha it says something about Korean society that their high school right of passage is a test while in the US it is a dance.

I believe he went to Yong in University which is famous for judo but i am not sure if he graduated.

Is there golf elementary schools?

There are three golf high schools that I am aware of. I am not sure about the elementary or middle school level. In general. if an elementary school wants to add a sport they have to submit a proposal to their dictrict office. The office will look at issues like participation, coaching, facilities, and of course cost. If all of these can be resolved then the school can have that sport. The biggest obstacle to a school having golf is the facility issue. I do not golf but I think a cheap round in Korea runs around $50. That is why screen golf is so popular. I believe most professional golfers from Korea were privately taught.

Last edited:
As far as I read about S Korea, youth extracurricular activities like sports are minimal to non existant cause so much is placed on academia and the placement exam. We're talking about a country where most of the youth are in school 12to14 plus hours a day. If I'm wrong someone please correct me.

They have sports-themed schools from elementary on up. I know a Korean high school kid just got drafted by the Chicago Cubs, so he had to have learned it somewhere.

Koreans are also fanatical about soccer. Teams and leagues everywhere.

I love your videos they really highlight the work ethic Korean Judokas put in.

I have a couple questions

1.) Are kids recruited into elite athletic schools
2.) Do they have a sponsorship package
3.) Are they allowed outside sponsors say in university years?
4.) Where can I find out more about korean judo
5.) Do the kids basically run the practice not they are in charge but the coach is almost a watcher

I played baseball in Japan at a tokyo university. Most guys there were recruited since high school. And if you know koshien you know that those 15 to 18 year old train full time every day. And usually only get 2 weeks off.

I wonder if korea is similar?

In japan baseball practice the coach played a smaller role because all players were there for the same reason so it was run by the players but still produced amazing results. The coach was more a strategist then a coach.

I'm not sure about sponsorship while in school. They do receive city and company sponsorships if they are with the big teams. You can see from their gi tops they have logos and insignia on them sometimes.

Korean judo is a hard code to crack. You can see a lot of stuff on the Korea Judo Association site. Other than that you need to be on the ground here constantly making contacts and asking people to help you out.

In my videos I show that there are elementary and middle schools in Busan that have judo teams - much like the high schools you mentioned. These aren't academies, but school teams.

He trained at Yong-In which is the premier martial arts university in Korea. The national teams also train there. I've seen a commercial with his judogi on.

He's a household name in Korea. All the students and coteachers know who he is. They get all giddy when I tell them we could throw a rock out the school window and hit him on his way to practice.

Same with judo champs. Everyone knows the name Kim Jae-Bum.

Back